Low / No Alcohol beer ?

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Any one experienced in brewing a low / no alcohol beer ?

I'm 39 and recently diagnosed with heart failure, and have been told by my docs no alcohol for the foreseeable future. Which is a shame as I was enjoying my BIAB endeavors and had a number of successful brews under my belt. So these days I'm drinking Cooper Birrell (0.5% abv) or the Holsten (0.0%) reluctantly, but would like to try brewing my own if possible. I've read that one way to remove the alcohol from beer is to reheat after fermentation and evaporate the alcohol.

Anyone got any ideas / recipes i can experiment with ?
Last edited by JayP on 02 Dec 2016, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Re: Low / No Alcohol beer ?

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Hi there Jay  :peace:,

Sorry to see your question slipped through the cracks and to hear of your health worry - 39 is way too young for that  sort of stuff :dunno:

It's also a pretty hard question to answer and I think I might only be able to get you half-way there. A few years ago, I did a low alcohol (2.5%ABV) APA that I liked and managed a bronze or silver in Royal Perth Beer Show. You're in Perth too so feel free to PM me and we can probably nut this one out over the phone or over a Birrell  :drink: (not bad from what I remember).

To get a 2.5% ABV APA (or schwartzbier, red ale and many other styles) the main principles are...

1. Mash high (70°C / 158°F). You'll need to trust your mash thermometer/s at that range.
2. Use the same hop bill as you would as if brewing it at normal strength.
3. Use dextrin malt (also known as carapils and a few other names I have forgotten). I think I only used about 7% dextrin in my grain bill in the above beer but I think I could have gone for a lot more. Use the dextrin to replace base malt/s, keep the specialty malt ratio the same.
4. Use a low-attenuating yeast.

Hope that helps a bit but hopefully we'll get the rest sorted here in Perth.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Hi JayP

I too have heard of the reheat after fermentation (before bottling) as a reliable method to reduce the final ABV but I am not sure as to what the temp should be or for how long,

Do not want to damage the hop aroma or the flavour profile, but I might try it my self on my first brew in 2 years (just finished building a new house) a Punk IPA clone PP posted, looking good so far (two days in the fermenter
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 7 years ago
BrewDog's Nanny State is decent. According to their free recipe book they just go for a very low OG (1.007) with a quite elaborate mix of malts for flavour and body, and a typical IPA hop schedule to reach 55 IBUs.

I haven't tried brewing the Nanny State but have sometimes bought a couple of them for a quiet weekday drink. It has made me realise that it is in fact the flavour of beer I like, I still get a good mood-boost from the hops without the alcohol.
Last edited by suburbrew on 17 Jan 2017, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Denmark

Post #6 made 7 years ago
Thanks guys. Got a few good ideas there to experiment with.

Coopers Birrell is seeing me thru at the moment , and Woolies even delivers it with our groceries !!

Can Anyone recommend somewhere in Perth that sells Brewdog Nanny State ? I'd like to try that - downloaded the ebook and reviews seem promising.
Last edited by JayP on 18 Jan 2017, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 7 years ago
I (as a total noob) would guess that not much time is required for such a low amount of malt and OG. I googled a bit and saw many instances of people brewing this beer (or variations) but so far I haven't seen anyone mentioning fermentation times.

If you ever brew this I would like to know how it went, I'm interested in brewing a very-low-alcohol beer at least once in the future.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Uruguay

Post #9 made 7 years ago
Three quick thoughts, least valuable first ;)...

3. The BrewDog DIY is something we've had a lot of trouble interpreting.

2. Low alcohol beers are a tremendous amount of work so....

1. Don't brew, or, if you do, blend.

Blending is Excellent!

If you really want to brew, then that's great, however, consider the following first...

You're in Perth so you'll know of Nail Red Ale (6.0%ABV). Mix 1 part of that with 4 or 5 parts of your Birrell. You'll be amazed at how much flavour and aroma transfer through. If that's too strong, go for Colonial Small Ale (3.5%ABV).

I do this all the time with Red Ale (blended with Boag's Premium Light) and am smacking myself over the head that I haven't done it with Small Ale  :idiot:. Two or three years ago I bought eight different IPA's around to one of my favourite commercial craft brewer's place for a bbq. About five of us sampled those beers and only one of them was any good, the Small Ale!

So, maybe buy (or brew) really tasty stuff and blend it with commercial "plain" beers? Just put plastic wrap over the 'full-strength' beer, if you don't finish it; it won't matter if it goes flat.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 25 guests