Southern English Brown recipe questions

Post #1 made 8 years ago
So, I am experimenting with my own recipe for a Southern English Brown Ale. Looking for any advise or thoughts to help me learn. I looked at different recipes etc and put the below together (BIABacus also attached).

Questions:
Using BIABacus spreadsheet how might I increase the Final Gravity? looking for 1.013
What can I do to make sure there is decent "mouth feel" etc in the beer so it is not too watery? Anything in particular I should focus on?
I think the recipe gets me in the ballpark of a Southern English Brown and I have been reading about brown malts so thought it time to try a recipe, but any pointers are appreciated.

[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3T RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]North of Me[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Brew4me
Style: Southern English Brown
Source Recipe Link:
ABV: 4.1% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.042
IBU's (Tinseth): 18
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.43
Colour: 56.9 EBC = 28.9 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 85 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 72.8 %

Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 67.2 C = 153 F
Boil: 90 min
Ferment: 14 days at 19.5 C = 67.1 F

Volumes & Gravities
(Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)
The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Water Needed (TWN): 20.56 L = 5.43 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 19.05 L = 5.03 G @ 1.033
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 14.35 L = 3.79 G @ 1.042
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 12.3 L = 3.25 G @ 1.042
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 11.39 L = 3.01 G @ 1.011 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)

73.5% Bards Pale Ale Malt (3.5 EBC = 1.8 SRM) 1759 grams = 3.88 pounds
10.6% Simpson Dark Crystal 70-80L (198.6 EBC = 100.8 SRM) 253 grams = 0.56 pounds
6.7% Simpson Extra Dark Cyrstal 160L (425.5 EBC = 216 SRM) 159 grams = 0.35 pounds
5.3% Crisp Brown Malt 60-70L (172 EBC = 87.3 SRM) 128 grams = 0.28 pounds

4% Simpson Chocolate Malt 375-450L (1132.6 EBC = 574.9 SRM) 96 grams = 0.21 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

18 IBU UK Kent Goldings Pellets (5%AA) 18.9 grams = 0.668 ounces at 60 mins

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash): Saccharifiaction for 90 mins at 67.2 C = 153 F

Strike Water Needed (SWN): 20.97 L = 5.54 G 67.7 C = 153.9 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Fermentation & Conditioning

Fermentation: Nottingham / Safale 05 for 14 days at 19.5 C = 67.1 F

Req. Volumes of CO2: 2
Serving Temp: 12 C = 53.6 F
Condition for 10 days.
Consume within 6 months.

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer

ferment at 68F

END OF REPORT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brew4me on 22 Nov 2015, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 8 years ago
First glance I would say that an easy change would be to use Maris Otter or Golden Promise in place of the Bairds Pale. Although I am really no familiar with the Bairds I am familiar with the other 2 and are great in English Browns. The Brown malt is great.
AWOL

Post #3 made 8 years ago
My only Suggestions is 153F should give you a balanced fermentability/Mouth feel, But 156F will give you more Mouth Feel, and Sweeter Flavor that you may Prefer, for a Southern Brown.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 8 years ago
thanks guys,
The Bairds was described as a fully modified and as a "work horse" - so I thought I would see how it works. I have heard a lot of positives on the Maris Otter.
I am debating on increasing the temperature, I expect a southern brown to be sweeter but don't want to get to crazy.

B4M

Post #5 made 8 years ago
So, looks like I will get time this weekend to brew. Already have the Bairds so will see how that brews - the Bairds is supposed to be known for its breadiness flavor which is what I was looking for. Will keep the Maris Otter in mind for the next English style brew.
Will also take your advice Joshua and go with the 156F.

Any thoughts on a mashout of 170F (77C) for last 15 minutes. - my reading to date shows some saying don't bother. I read somewhere that if not over 2 quarts/pound grain a mashout is not needed. BIABacus shows me at 4+ quart/pound - any advice or links are appreciated.

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Mash out is Optional, it helps Kill off the enzymes, and helps 'thin' the sweet liquor's Density.

It does cut 10-15 minutes from the Brew day.

JUST, get the Grains out of the kettle, BEFORE 176F, then temperature that the Tannin's and other Things come out of Grain.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 8 years ago
the Brewing went great - GAW ~1.043 (shooting for 1.042), EIB 82%, EAW 83%, EIF 70% - best efficiency numbers yet (this was my tenth BIAB)!
With the new pot I need to tweak my evap # down a bit.

Joshua - raising the temp I think did the trick - wort going into the fermentor tasted great.

Lylo you're right the Brown Malt is great stuff. Interesting, I was reading how it was once very popular but lost its way until rediscovered in homebrewing... Definitely will be using this again. Bairds also smelled and tasted good - nice biscuit taste - will see how it all ends up.

thanks again for the tips/advice.

B4M

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 32 guests