Post #26 made 13 years ago
I want to keg.. desperately, in fact. I have a home pub and there are always people in it, so I'd like to keep 4 or 5 beers on tap at all time... don't worry.. we'd plow through that in 4 or 5 weeks.

However, I also like the idea of having some in bottles.

So for me, the ideal thing would be to brew 10 gallon batches, keg half and bottle the other half.. preferably in 1/2 gallon growlers at a minimum.
Brew, blues and blood.

Post #27 made 13 years ago
You can always bottle perfectly carbonated beer from the keg...
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #28 made 13 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Thanks for your thoughts above. Good to hear the BBG is working well for you EoinMag. jimmysuperlative will be pleased - he just bought one :).

PP

Was glad to read that! Still haven't used my blichman yet ...pouring pints from my kegs is just way too easy. :thumbs:

...so, glad I discovered kegging!
Last edited by jimmysuperlative on 04 May 2011, 16:16, edited 6 times in total.
Everybody's waitin' for the man with the bag ... K Starr (1950)

Post #30 made 12 years ago
I bottle, but I am relatively new to this game and also a bit of a tight ass so forking out for a keg setup seems a little bit too excessive for me.

I do enjoy bottling for what it's worth, and am slowly adding bits of kit to make it all the more easier.
Bottling trees are a must, trying to stand 30+ bottles upside down on your bench is a recipe for a quick trip to the insane asylum :lol:
I have a big 50L s/s pot which can hold all the bottles I need for my bottling day, so maybe a week before I will make up a batch of PBW or napisan (I did say I am a tight ass) and chuck the bottles in there and let them soak for a day or so. (I only do this if I have not been meticulous in rinsing the bottles after drinking.) I then use my brass bottle washer to rinse them with fresh water. This just screws onto your outside tap (or kitchen tap with an adapter) and blasts the insides of your bottles with high pressure water. Very quick tool for rinsing your bottles!

I have just purchased a bottle rinser, where you put your sanitising solution in the bottom, press your bottle down onto the unit and it blasts the insides with starsan or whatever. I was able to sanitise all of my bottles on bottling day in about 5 min.

I have heard of one guy, who after drinking his beer, rinses it out and then sprays the insides with starsan. Then he covers the top and leaves it until his bottling day where you just dump the sanitising solution and then fill with beer. Sounds way too easy!

Post #31 made 12 years ago
Well, if I had no money issues I would be kegging indefinitely. In fact, I have a corney keg set up, but I have only one keg and no fridge/freezer to use.

So, I would buy a few more kegs and a freezer with temp controller attached for storage/fermentation. As well, the hardware/manifold/taps/shanks/handles and freezer collar would also inflate the cost.

So, yeah, I'm almost there, all I really need is some kegs and a refridgeration unit. Not alot of cost I know, but I can bottle for now at seemingly no cost (for now). My goal is to have the kegging unit up and running by the end of august...

Oh yeah, HAPPY CANADA DAY! to all my fellow countrymen!

Post #32 made 12 years ago
Good one Squared - In fact I'll crack out my Peggy's Cove souvenir beer mug this afternoon and drink a toast to the Mounties :cool:
then a pint to the good people of Alberta
then a pint to the good people of British Columbia
then a pint to the good people of Manitoba
then a pint to the good .....

:headhit:

hey why aren't there any provinces between B and M? Were you saving those for when you eventually take over the USA and rename the states?

Re: If you had no money restrictions, would you keg or bottle?

Post #33 made 4 years ago
I'd like to resurrect this topic and get updated opinions on kegging. I'm strongly considering leaving bottling behind, sort of, and both fermenting in and serving from kegs. My thought process is:

1. Cleaning kegs would be easier than cleaning the equivalent number of bottles required to package 19L/5 gallons.

2. Fermenting in a keg and then pressure transferring reduces the likely hood of post fermentation oxygen ingress. Using a keg as a fermentation vessel also allows you to pressure ferment in something rated to a far higher pressure at a better price than most other options. Currently $55 here in the US on MoreBeer for a used ball lock and $3.99 for all new o-rings.

3. Relying on CO2 to carbonate instead of priming sugar guarantees more consistent carbonation as well as being easier to dial-in.

4. I can still bottle from the keg without having to worry about the need to add yeast or whether fining/filtering has removed too much yeast to carbonate.

I know some of the points were made in the original post and PP has made me second guess a few with his original posts on the topic. :scratch: I'd also like to know if any of you are using the duotight fittings as I've had my eye on those in the event I do switch to kegging. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
Tony
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #34 made 4 years ago
If cost is not considered, I’d hire someone to fill bottles and cap them but still clean them and batch prime in the bottling bucket myself. It’s a control thing.
Considering cost, one owned keg = one 20 L batch; carbon dioxide supplies and other bits = another batch.

Most others in my home brew club keg. Two have kegerators in the dining room. That’s not happening in my house (SWMBO). One has, in addition to the three taps in the dining room, a full-sized refrigerator, a small chest freezer and a large chest freezer in the basement with thirteen more taps in total down there. Tons of equipment hangs overhead everywhere. But then he was instrumental in a start-up brewery...

Bottlers - rinse out each bottle immediately after consuming the beer. Not “later”. Cover the mouth of the bottle with your thumb and shake with water about one third full. Repeat.
If there’s dry crud on the bottom of the bottle, toss it. Bleach and scrubbing isn’t worth it.
Buy commercial beer in bottles while you are able and keep them instead of returning for the deposit. Not thin-walled bottles (Amstel) or long necks or Sierra Nev. short bottles. It’s not as easy as it used to be as craft breweries are canning now.

I took two pieces of quarter inch thick plywood (each about 2 sq ft) and used a hole saw to make 50 holes to hold inverted bottles. The dowels that became legs have to be tall enough to hold all necks above the surface underneath. After cleaning 8 bottles at a time in a sanitizing bucket, I rinse, drain and store inverted bottles in the racks. There’s nothing inside the bottles like a bottling tree finger. I sanitize all again on bottling day - that would drive many people from bottling, I know. Inspect each bottle.

I admit to having had three bottle bombs over the course of 85 batches of 19 L (5 gal)., all bottled. Those that blew were capped on bottling day and broke in storage weeks later. No chain reactions even with other bottles nearby.

Once I got to a procedure that works, I started using a variety of different sizes of bottles, even growlers. Yes, it can be done, but be careful. Fewer bottles, easier to carry to places away from home.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #35 made 4 years ago
ShorePoints, you make valid arguments toward the negatives of kegging. My ferm chamber is currently a 4.4 cu ft mini-fridge which is barely large enough to hold the standard size keg and a 20lb co2 canister. I wouldn't be purchasing a freezer to convert to a keezer, at least not right away, so that means kegging would take away from my ability to ferment until the keg was empty without bottling every batch I made. We're I to do that it would seem I should just bottle anyway. By the time you acquire a decent size freezer and all the pieces for a multitap setup we're talking several hundred dollars. Sure you could skimp on faucets and fittings but in my mind it's not worth it when you can buy quality equipment that will last if taken care of. I like your idea on a bottle drying rack, so simple but I never thought about it and I have scrap lumber in the garage so it's a free project. :salute: I too hang on to commercial bottles and typically never drink from the bottle but pour it into a glass and immediately rinse out the bottle.

Cheers,
Tony
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #36 made 4 years ago
Interesting question. For me it is kegging most beer and I would not go back to bottling the entire batch. Bottling for me takes more time and is an even bigger pain than kegging.

I maximize my beer production with 8-9 gallon batches. Keg 5 gallons directly. Put 2-3 gallons in cleaned and sanitized 1-gallon plastic jugs, some 1/2 gallon, and filled as high as possible, and Keg some additional including bottles and possibly but not always 1-2 liter PTFE bottles.

Beer refrigerator in garage is full size with room for 6 kegs but only 5 taps in front plus a 6th picnic faucet for the rare times all 6 kegs are full of beer and I want to be able to drink from all six. Freezer on top has hops, along with starter wort frozen in plastic bags premeasured and at proper 1.040 gravity.

When my keg runs low, provided I have extra, can add 2-3 gallons and fill up a Keg. Yes perhaps potential oxidization potential...but it is minor. I like Brewing but it is time consuming. Brewing extra allows me to brew slightly less, which is almost once per month.

Additional bottled beer, homebrew and some commercial - goes into an additional old refrigerator also in garage that also has overflow refrigerated items.

I didn’t start out with as large of a setup. It just grew... when drilling for faucets I planned for expansion. First beer fridge could only fit 4 kegs but it was old and went out. Had to take it to the dump and got a larger used replacement...and would not want to go back at this point. :drink:
Last edited by Scott on 31 Dec 2019, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 15 guests