Useful Brewing Gloves, and this is the bag I bought

Post #1 made 11 years ago
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

These glove ($6 USD) enabled me to directly hold the hot wort bag and squeeze it. After a number of seconds I would have to shift hands. But they still did a very good job of protecting my hands while allowing me enough dexterity to brew.

This is the bag I used for brewing. It worked well.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=13315221

It was $8 , and its cotton, and it shrank (from 24" to 21") but it was all I could find in New Jersey.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
I use a pair of Blichmann brewing gloves. Love em

Squeezing bags, getting dropped items out of the bottom of pots of boiling wort, mixing up pbw and cleaning stuff

https://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/pr ... ite-review

I also use some Ikea silicon mitts for handling hot pots and more importantly hot erlenmeyer flasks

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/00191882/
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 11 years ago
I use a pair of large rubber dishwashing gloves with my neoprane diving gloves underneath. Works awesome,I can squeeze the bejesus out of a hot bag and don't notice the heat. Also great for turning my ball valve on and off when drawing off wort for starters during the boil.

Post #4 made 11 years ago
I went to the RSEA safety shop and asked the bloke for something I could stick in boiling water... That wasn't the $80 pair of ansell gloves they had for that purpose.

He basically explained that all the Ansell gloves are, are a PVC style glove with a cotton liner. The liner creates an airpocket that protects your hands.

He suggested buying the $2 rigger cotton inserts (anyone who has played indoor cricket would have seen these as the centers gloves) and I bought the Green PVC sand gripped gloves.. Only because they were a little thicker then the red...

All up about $16 and I can squeeze the bag without having to take a break to cool down.. I also needed to pull my false bottom out of my pot while it was boiling since it didnt seem to be boiling as rigorously as I wanted.. The boiling water was warm, but wasnt too scary :)

Post #5 made 11 years ago
Try tying some cooking twine to your false bottom/cake rack

And tie that to your pot handle...

next time just pull the string ;)
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda

5/7/12

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Gloves for squeezing, for me, not anymore. I've been hanging my bag over the pot from a pulley and using two pot lids; it works great and with great control.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 11 years ago
I use 2 12"square plates and some quick clamps. Get most of the wort out and little to no mess or bother.
Last edited by housecat on 25 Jul 2012, 00:38, edited 4 times in total.
Part of the NoAd brewers

My mum says I'm cool.

Post #8 made 11 years ago
stux wrote:Try tying some cooking twine to your false bottom/cake rack

And tie that to your pot handle...

next time just pull the string ;)
Whats this? Logic? Where is the fun in that :D :scratch:

Such a simple fix.... And here is me without a facepalm smiley :D

Last edited by Endo on 25 Jul 2012, 05:08, edited 4 times in total.

Post #9 made 11 years ago
housecat wrote:I use 2 12"square plates and some quick clamps. Get most of the wort out and little to no mess or bother.
Same clamps I use to hold my kettle draining siphon tube in place :)
Last edited by stux on 29 Jul 2012, 09:44, edited 4 times in total.

5/7/12

Post #10 made 11 years ago
All these ideas get a prost from me! Great info to save my hands and too much fatigue when all is said and done.
Primary:
Saison d'Etienne
Secondary:
1/2 gallon 5x fermented Turkish Fig Tripel
1/2 gallon Black Cherry wood aged Weizenbock
The Golden Axe
The Year 999
The Weizcracker
Bottled:
Quite a bit

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online