Emerald Coast Beer Festival (ECBF) September 6th, 2013

Post #1 made 13 years ago
http://emeraldcoastbeerfest.com/beerfest.htm
"Annual festival in Pensacola's Seville Quarter benefiting charities including Boys and Girls Club of NW Florida and Wounded Warriors."

Our club is participating again this year. New for this year is a competition between the clubs. Our club is having a APA showdown in August. The best American Pale Ale submitted in a 5 gallon keg, as judged by popular vote, goes on to represent the club. Wish me luck! Since it's 2 months away, I'll entertain any recipes you guys what to share. They must be within BJCP 10A style guidelines. Thanks...
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 28 Aug 2013, 03:41, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 10 years ago
The brew feast is coming around the corner again this year. This is as exciting as it gets for MS.

September 5th - 7th, 2013

Below is a picture of our club project from 2011, "THE BEAST", Weighing in at a hefty 43 lbs empty, "THE BEAST" uses an antique oak jockey box with an original Gunther tap from the early 20th century.

I had lots of fun serving 3 ounces samples, especially to the young women dressed up in their spaghetti strap dresses, asking for a 'PUG BUTT', sheepishly.

9/9/11 - ECBF by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

P.S. The Mississippi and Alabama homebrew clubs do not need to wear their zorro masks this year! It is now legal for them to brew; http://brewers.informz.net/Brewers/arch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 37077.html
images.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 28 Jun 2013, 03:35, edited 5 times in total.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
As of July 1st 2013 it is legal to brew in all 50 states! Hey we were doing it anyway, why not make it legal? Win the competition and show them that BIAB rocks! I know you can do it!! :thumbs:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #5 made 10 years ago
These were taken around 8/20/11 for the Emerald Coasters Homebrew Organization (ECHO)
brewers APA showdown.

I used gelatin and dry hopped this for a club competition, the winners keg went on
to the ECBF competion. This was the first year that the ECBF had a homebrew competition.

Primary fermenting in a corny by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

Club competition day.

8/20/11 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

Our club president posted this on our Facebook group's page;
"Congratulations ECHO Brewers! We successfully brewed and served 8 beers at ECBF 2011.
That's 40 gallons of the best beer on the Gulf Coast that raised a LOT of money for
Boys and Girl's Club of NW Florida! Great job everyone!"
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 10 Jul 2013, 04:01, edited 5 times in total.

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Last year, our 'Beach Bum' Mike represented our club and
won a silver medal for his fine Kolsch.
ECBF 2012 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 10 Jul 2013, 04:20, edited 5 times in total.

Post #7 made 10 years ago
BobBrews wrote:Win the competition and show them that BIAB rocks! I know you can do it!! :thumbs:
Thanks Bob.

Does anybody have a good recipe for me to make? Please help me to win a medal!!! This is the category;

Get ready for the 3rd annual Emerald Coast Beer Festival™ club only competition!

This year’s competition will focus on Category 14 IPA. ALL SUBCATEGORIES ARE INCLUDED, ENGLISH (14A), AMERICAN (14B) AND IMPERIAL IPA (14C)

ENTRY RULES:

One Entry per club allowed (choose your subcategory carefully). Club must ensure that beer entered in competition will be served to beerfest participants at Friday evening tasting (Sept. 6th).

Entry consists of 3 brown bottles, all label removed. Embossed lettering is ok. Bottle size 10-16 oz. Rubberband a label with your club’s name and the IPA subcategory to each bottle. Do not use tape or glue.

Entry submission deadline is Sunday Sept. 1st.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 10 Jul 2013, 04:38, edited 5 times in total.

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Our ECHO club IPA showdown competition was Saturady.

Our club president had these kind words to say about my entry;
"Richard [MS] would win the clarity award--if we had one. That beer just sparkled and he claims he doesn't filter! Definitely proves that BIAB technique brews great beer."

We had 5 entries this year. "Beach Bum" Mike got the popular vote (pictured above in a previous post
with his silver medal). He does make very good beer, brews about 250 gallons a year. "Iron" Mike had a very good beer too, he hosted the showdown. Mine was also an American IPA, 14B style, got no votes. There was an Imperial IPA, 14C, which was liked, but was rushed through the process, and an English IPA, 14A, that was liked, but had a lot of yeast sediment.

Club president "Iron" Mike in foreground, MS in black/white stripe shirt.
ECHO IPA Showdown 8-24-2013.jpg
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 28 Aug 2013, 03:39, edited 5 times in total.

Post #9 made 10 years ago
MS, are you doing the ECBF this year? I'll be heading HOME this August, Apalachacola for a family reunion . Of course I'll be bringing some homebrews.

Return to “U.S.A.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests