St Austell Tribute Challenge 2013

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Just thought i would pass on an email for all UK brewers that i received from brewuk.

See brewuk link.

it is a challenge to clone one of St. Austell's beers & win a brewery tour & overnight stay.
I have put together a BIABacus recipe if anybody is interested?

Maybe a question for Yeasty; Is this beer in wheelers book? just so i can compare.
Last edited by mally on 14 Mar 2013, 19:18, edited 2 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Mally, Yeasty should know St. Austell brewery beers well (if he can remember :) ). That's pretty well all they have on tap in Mevagissey, as it's only five miles away. I was brought up on their beers.
Guinges

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Hi Mally,

St Austell isn't in GW's BYORA book so it looks like your on your own :lol:

Interesting way to get everyone drinking there beer. I'm sure I've tasted it at some point in my career :cool: but I can't remember when :idiot:

I take it that your not sharing your recipe then Mally :lol:

:luck:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 11 years ago
Oh well, thanks for trying.
I thought i would see what competition i had first :lol:
Last edited by mally on 15 Mar 2013, 15:34, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #5 made 11 years ago
mally wrote:Oh well, thanks for trying.
I thought i would see what competition i had first :lol:
You don’t stand a chance Mally! I'm asking my Mum if she can get some info. She had a friend who used to work at the St Austell brewery and kept her supplied with brewers yeast. She has many friends who are publicans/pub owners (wise woman I know).

Actually I’ll pass on any tips as I can’t send beer across the pond so I’m not in the competition. I'll ask her if people actually like that beer too, for you.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 15 Mar 2013, 16:45, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Just called my Mum. She knows the manageress of St. Austell Brewery (of course) Vicky Bethel, although she thinks she might have handed it over to her sons now. It’s her family any way that runs it. She doesn’t see her that often, and my Mum says that “those things are a closely guarded secret”.

Tribute is very popular in the pubs in Cornwall, and most people drink it. My brother in law (the “old rocker” as he calls himself) often drinks it, although he prefers Doom Bar which is a more expensive cask ale.

If I can get any information I might try to make either Tribute or Doom Bar, for old times’ sake. You reminded me that I started brewing so I could have English beer in Canada.

I’d be really interested in your progress Mally. Would you post your recipe or PM it to me? And I’ll help if I can.

Do you have anything on Sharp's Doom Bar Yeasty?

http://stab-dc03.staustellbrewery.co.uk/
http://www.sharpsbrewery.co.uk/
Tribute-Pump-Clip-NEW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 15 Mar 2013, 17:45, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #7 made 11 years ago
I guess as you can't compete GR here is the BIABacus report, just make sure nobody else sees it ok? :idiot:

[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3 RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]St Austell Tribute - Batch 1[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Mally
Style: British Bitter/IPA
Source Recipe Link:
Original Gravity (OG): 1.043
IBU's (Tinseth): 28.4
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.66
Colour: 11.1 EBC = 5.7 SRM
ABV%: 4.22
Efficiency into Kettle (EIK): 83.3 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 75.1 %
Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 64 C = 147.2 F
Boil: 60 min
Ferment: 7 days at 18 C = 64.4 F

Volumes & Gravities

Total Water Needed (TWN): 35.5 L = 9.38 G
Volume into Kettle (VIK): 33.77 L = 8.92 G @ 1.037
End of Boil Volume - Ambient (EOBV-A): 27.75 L = 7.33 G @ 1.043
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 25 L = 6.6 G @ 1.043
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 23.15 L = 6.12 G @ 1.01 assuming apparent attenuation of 76 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)
80% pale malt MO (4.5 EBC = 2.3 SRM) 3867 grams = 8.53 pounds
17% munich malt (15 EBC = 7.6 SRM) 822 grams = 1.81 pounds
1.5% crystal 150 (150 EBC = 76.1 SRM) 73 grams = 0.16 pounds
1.5% melanoidin (70 EBC = 35.5 SRM) 73 grams = 0.16 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

24.9 IBU fuggles Pellets (6.4%AA) 40 grams = 1.411 ounces at 60 mins
2.1 IBU williamette Pellets (5.7%AA) 30 grams = 1.058 ounces at 3 mins
1.4 IBU Styrian Goldings Pellets (3.98%AA) 30 grams = 1.058 ounces at 3 mins

Mash Steps
Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash) for 90 mins at 64 C = 147.2 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients
Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: Y (Pulled 0 mins after boil end.)
Whirlpool: 30 mins after boil end.
Chilling Method: cube (Employed 35 mins after boil end.)

Fermentation& Conditioning

Fermention: US-05 for 7 days at 18 C = 64.4 F
Secondary Used: y
Crash-Chilled: n
Filtered: n
Req. Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Serving Temp: 6 C = 42.8 F
Condition for 14 days.
Consume within 6 months.

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer

Crystal Malt & melanoidin are colour adjustments & marginal flavour enhancers & can be removed if necessary (swap with munich)
Last edited by mally on 15 Mar 2013, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #9 made 11 years ago
:?:
Recipe no good Yeasty? I was thinking of trying it. I think Mally's recipe might be close (reading the description in the link he posted).

If it was something I said that made you scratch and whistle then that's fair do's :)

Would you let me know how your dog biscuits taste please. I want to make that spent grain bread.
Tribute - A premium English Pale Ale. Medium bodied with rounded malt character, bittered with classic English hops, whilst a blend of Slovenian and US hops give the fruity grapefruit/tangerine aroma.

4.2% ABV |18EBC Colour | 25 IBU Bitterness.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 15 Mar 2013, 22:14, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #10 made 11 years ago
:lol: :lol:

bien au contraire my friend bien au contraire.

Between you and me so don't tell Mally those emoticons where meant to mean I was going to steal the recipe. Lost in translation I suppose.

:peace:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #11 made 11 years ago
For a minute there I thought someone had stole my trade secrets....

what?
Between you and me so don't tell Mally those emoticons where meant to mean I was going to steal the recipe
Damn it!!!! :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:
Last edited by mally on 16 Mar 2013, 04:36, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #12 made 11 years ago
I’ve been Googling Sharp’s Doom Bar and came up with the goods below. I don’t have the skills or experience to turn the info into a viable recipe. I’m too timid to ask Mally or Yeasty to put it into Biabacus. I don’t have the EOBV-A so I’m too scared to ask PP.
Mally’s Tribute looks like it’s a go then if Yeasty ran off with it. :sneak: So I'm going to make that one, I think.

If I remember right, I think I liked Tribute better than the Doom Bar any way. But don't tell anyone I said that. I think there might be a few ounces of emperors clothes thrown in at the Doom Bar flameout. There should be a section in BIABacus for that. That one ingredient makes such a huge difference to any beer.

No more foul play (stealing each other’s recipes and stuff) or I’ll have my mother report you both to the St. Austell Brewery :)

From here: http://www.sharpsbrewery.co.uk/our-beers/doombar/
Doom Bar Bitter is named after an infamous sandbank at the mouth of the Camel Estuary in North Cornwall.

Where the river Camel meets the Atlantic Ocean on Cornwall’s rugged north coast, a sand bank, centuries old, known as the Doom Bar protects and calms this beautiful estuary. Sailors respect the Doom Bar knowing it to be unforgiving if met with haste or arrogance.

Doom Bar the beer embodies many characteristics which make it worthy to carry the name of this natural wonder. It’s distinctive aroma and balanced flavour set it apart from other beers taking unsuspecting first time drinkers by surprise with its moreish appeal. Doom Bar has achieved international cult status, is one of the fastest growing beer brands in the UK and the best selling cask beer in the South West of England.

Taste Notes Stuart Howe Head Brewer
“The aroma of Doom Bar combines an accomplished balance of spicy resinous hop, inviting sweet malt and delicate roasted notes. The mouth feel is a perfectly balanced and complex blend of succulent dried fruit, lightly roasted malty notes and a subtle yet assertive bitterness. The bitterness remains into the finish with dry fruity notes which implore the drinker to go back for more.”
From Here: http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... =5&t=41624
i have been in touch with Stuart at Sharps and have been given the following info.

So, here it comes.

The only thing i ask is that when one of you good folks manages to decipher the recipe, that you let me know.

Anyway here is the information i got.

Hi Dave
Doom is
Malt is pale ale malt, crystal, roast barley
Hops are Northdown, Northern Brewer and Perle
Yeast is a Whitbread B derivative
Water is 2:1 sulphate to chloride 220ppm Ca2+ zero carbonate or bicarbonate

As for the hops the schedule is as follows

5% Start of boil, rest at end, steep for 1 hour before transfer to FV

EBU 22
OG 1040
PG 1009
pH 4.1

Happy brewing!

Cheers
Stuart

So, there you have it. an someone please let me know the breakdown of malt and hop additions please.
Was lucky enough to have a trip down to Sharps in the week, spent a good amount of time chatting to Stuart Howe about the brewing process. Clearly the email above sheds a lot of light, but there was some other key info he shared :

Water - very soft, proud of their use of Cornish water
Malt - A lot of Simpsons Pale Malt, Crystal 120'l and 1000'l black malt around the place
Mashing - Mash low! 64c tops was what i recall he said, he also commented that my 67c Pale ale mash temp was "too f*ing high!"
Hops - Hops mostly added late on, he said their three main hops were Aurora, Northdown and Hallertau which they balance depending on harvest etc, but there was lots of Perle around also.
Yeast - Its the old Morrells Brewery yeast, they are the sole users/holders of it now. I think he said it was a whitbread derivative, which makes sense as he said it was highly flocculent.
Fermentation - hot! 25c was what he told me, which makes sense why the beer tastes so dam fruity! 5 days then 7 conditioning, obviously thats done in huge volumes so not much help. But they do use square fermenters (like Black sheep) and condition under pressure.

I think we covered most things in conversation so if you have any questions i'm sure I can help.

But I can't praise the Stuart and the brewery enough, they are very very committed to the quality and consistency of their beer, they take it all very seriously, especially Stuart who works 7days a week. As for the take over by MolsonCoors, I don't anticipate any issues, they want to expand the brewery and grow Doom Bar nationally, no brewing will be done elsewhere.

Hope that helps people recreate their favourite drop. Personally i find it too fruity as an ale, but thats just my preference.

Ed
Last edited by GuingesRock on 16 Mar 2013, 06:09, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Thanks for posting your recipe Mally. I’m getting a bit excited about it. :drink:

From Tribute Web site: http://www.tributeale.co.uk/
Award-winning Tribute was first brewed to commemorate the 1999 solar eclipse. Today, the popularity of this great-tasting 4.2% abv beer has spread nationwide; with Tribute now being voted as one of the UK's top-ten premium cask ales.

Made with over 150 years of brewing experience, using specially grown Cornish Gold Malt, it's easy to see why Tribute is the South West's favourite ale. So take the time to browse our site where you will find information on Awards and Sponsorship, as well as our on-line shop so you can discover the great taste of Tribute for yourself.
Tribute is brewed by St Austell Brewery and its popularity has grown tremendously in the last year. It was chosen as the South West's top tipple in the Best of British Beer Awards, following a ‘beer election' in pubs across the area by industry watchdog Cask Marque and the Daily Telegraph. Tribute also beat off competition from more than 250 beers from all 58 South West breweries to be elected ‘Supreme Champion' at the Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) South West Beer Festival. In 2010 Tribute was awarded with a Silver Medal in the Best Bitters category for the 2010 Great British Beer Festival.
As if that wasn't enough, head brewer Roger Ryman was named UK Brewer of the Year and the Brewery announced it was introducing a second daily brewing shift for the first time in its 156-year history to meet soaring demand for its ales, and particularly Tribute, which has seen sales in the South West and across the UK rise 20% compared to 2009. Finally the bottled version of Tribute was voted in the Worlds Top 50 Beers in the International Beer Challenge for the second year running.
Previous years awards include the prestigious Supreme Champion Ale of Cornwall award from CAMRA at the Falmouth CAMRA Beer Festival 2004.

In 2010 Tribute was awarded with a silver medal in the Best Bitters category of the Great British Beer Festival. In same festival fellow beers from St Austell also won awards. Proper Job received a bronze medal in the golden beers category whilst Admirals Ale was voted Supreme Champion bottled beer.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 16 Mar 2013, 07:12, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #14 made 11 years ago
From here: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... 674#p29670
BrewBagMan wrote:You know what would be really cool... if we could get a few BIABers to brew the beer then have tasting LIVE over 'Google Hangout' or Skype? Who's in??
I’m in BrewBagMAn. I needed an incentive to brew that one.

I don’t have cubes, so I will chill. I'll use a hop sock (probably the BIAB bag) and will whirlpool (both of those for the first time) Will prob stick to single stage fermenting.

It will take me a couple of weeks to source the Ingredients.

Anyone else in?

Have you started it yet Mally?

Maybe I should post this here on the Mally’s St. Austell thread. Hope that’s OK

Not sure I’ll Skype though although it sounds like fun. 12 hours difference in time here. If the beer is good enough to get drunk on it at breakfast time then maybe :)
Last edited by GuingesRock on 31 Mar 2013, 06:29, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #15 made 11 years ago
Mally, I started adapting your recipe for my equipment, my strange brewing methods (free range mash and fermenting in the kettle), and I wanted a two Corny batch. Then I made some changes to make the colour and IBUs the same as the St. Austell Tribute. Do you think I have screwed up the taste in the process???

I ordered the ingredients today.

Thanks
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]Mally Tribute Clone - GR revision[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: GuingesRock
Style: Cornish Ale/Bitter
Source Recipe Link: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... 695#p29252

Original Gravity (OG): 1.042
IBU's (Tinseth): 25
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.6
Colour: 18 EBC = 9.1 SRM
ABV%: 4.23
Efficiency into Kettle (EIK): 79.5 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 79.5 % (Fermented in Kettle)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 69 C = 156.2 F
Ferment: 10 days at 19 C = 66.2 F

Volumes & Gravities

Total Water Needed (TWN): 51.75 L = 13.67 G
Volume into Kettle (VIK): 48.93 L = 12.93 G @ 1.037
End of Boil Volume - Ambient (EOBV-A): 42 L = 11.1 G @ 1.042
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 42 L = 11.1 G @ 1.042 (Fermented in Brew Kettle)
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 38 L = 10.04 G @ 1.009 assuming apparent attenuation of 78 %

The Grain Bill

75.7% Marris Otter (4.5 EBC = 2.3 SRM) 5674 grams = 12.51 pounds
15.1% Munich Malt (15 EBC = 7.6 SRM) 1135 grams = 2.5 pounds
4.6% Crystal (212 EBC = 107.6 SRM) 342 grams = 0.75 pounds
4.6% Melanoidin (70 EBC = 35.5 SRM) 342 grams = 0.75 pounds

18.6 IBU Fuggles Pellets (7.1%AA) 40.3 grams = 1.42 ounces at 60 mins
3 IBU Williamette Pellets (5.7%AA) 40.4 grams = 1.425 ounces at 5 mins
3.5 IBU Styrian Goldings Pellets (3.98%AA) 67.3 grams = 2.373 ounces at 5 mins

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash) for 90 mins at 69 C = 156.2 F

Hopsock Used: y (Pulled 0 mins after boil end.)

Chilling Method: Immersion Chiller (Employed 0 mins after boil end.)

Fermention: Safale US-05 for 10 days at 19 C = 66.2 F

Secondary Used: no
Condition for 14 days.
Consume within 6 months.

Non-insulated (free-range) mash drops 8F over 80 minutes. Fermented in Brew Kettle
Last edited by GuingesRock on 01 Apr 2013, 05:56, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #20 made 11 years ago
Hi GR,

I haven't done the brew yet, just finished my Pilsner that I planned months ago. Though tribute is next on my list.
I can't really say whether your changes will improve/make worse or no difference to be honest.
I have researched the ingredients from many forums and picked what I thought seemed the most liked/nearest to the original.

So as I haven't brewed it yet, I do not feel fully qualified to pass comment. Which is also true for the yeast of choice, I saw many had used 04 & 05, so as you already have it, I say give it a go.

What I have done though is sourced a bottle of Tribute so I can do a side by side when mine is ready, maybe then i can give a better verdict on the recipe.

If you have managed to brew yours before me, then please let me know if it is how you remember it.

Good Luck.
G B

Post #22 made 11 years ago
BrewBagMan, as I understand it, Canada is the second largest country in the world (behind Russia) with a population of 33 million. The tiny country of England has a population of 53 million.

In Canada you can go to a beautiful place in the country, or a lake, or some wilderness and you will be the only person for miles, or even hundreds of miles. From what I remember of England, when you get to a beautiful place it’s swarming with families, each with their average 2 ½ kids and a Golden Lab.

Why the background? Well, I ordered my supplies for my Tribute beer last weekend, but I ordered them from Ontario. Not too bad. I’m on the east coast, and the Ontario supplier is about 1/3 of the way across the country. I ordered them by Canada Post Express! And paid $5 extra for that. Because I have the express service, I believe, and please don’t disillusion me, that as we speak, there is a man in a small van tearing in this direction with my Tribute beer supplies, driving day and night for 5 days, in order for me to receive them this weekend.

There’s no harm dreaming. I have my big pot all cleaned up, polished and shining, and I am waiting for the supplies to arrive. You can feel the excitement and tension in the air around here. It’s that thick!
Guinges

Post #23 made 11 years ago
[quote="GuingesRock"]The tiny country of England has a population of 53 million.

It's probably a good job you fled when you did Guinges!! Current pop estimates are around 63 million - it's a wonder anyone can breath there now :)

Canada sounds lovely, it's certainly on our 'to do' list. Don't you have any local brew shops?

Well when your delivery man arrives I'm sure he'll have a hellish thirst on him :drink:

Post #24 made 11 years ago
BrewBagMan wrote:Well when your delivery man arrives I'm sure he'll have a hellish thirst on him :drink:
He just made it, so I am brewing the Tribute this weekend. :party: He didn't stop for a pint or anything. He just dropped the box off at the post office, and my secretary picked it up. I thought that was really antisocial of him. Probably just getting the heck out of it :sneak: so I didn't ask him to go on another run to Ontario for more supplies.

The LHBS didn't have all the stuff I needed.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 05 Apr 2013, 21:32, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #25 made 11 years ago
This is what I ended up making today. Biabacus autoefficiency adjusted + 5.3% for FRM method. Will be fermented in the brew kettle so kettle figures = fermentor figures.
[center]Tribute Mally Clone GR revision - [/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: GuingesRock
Style: Cornish Ale/Bitter
Source Recipe Link: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2039&p=29826#p29252

Original Gravity (OG): 1.042
IBU's (Tinseth): 25
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.6
Colour: 16.6 EBC = 8.4 SRM
ABV%: 4.23

Efficiency into Kettle (EIK): 88.3 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 88.3 %

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 69 C = 156.2 F
Ferment: 10 days at 19 C = 66.2 F

Volumes & Gravities

Total Water Needed (TWN): 51.28 L = 13.55 G
Volume into Kettle (VIK): 48.93 L = 12.93 G @ 1.037
End of Boil Volume - Ambient (EOBV-A): 42 L = 11.1 G @ 1.042
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 42 L = 11.1 G @ 1.042
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 38 L = 10.04 G @ 1.009 assuming apparent attenuation of 78 %

The Grain Bill

74.3% Marris Otter (4.5 EBC = 2.3 SRM) 5009 grams = 11.04 pounds
16.9% Munich Malt (15 EBC = 7.6 SRM) 1139 grams = 2.51 pounds
4.4% Crystal (212 EBC = 107.6 SRM) 298 grams = 0.66 pounds
4.4% Melanoidin (70 EBC = 35.5 SRM) 298 grams = 0.66 pounds

18.6 IBU Fuggles Pellets (7.1%AA) 40.3 grams = 1.42 ounces at 60 mins
3 IBU Williamette Pellets (5.7%AA) 40.4 grams = 1.425 ounces at 5 mins
3.5 IBU Styrian Goldings Pellets (3.98%AA) 67.3 grams = 2.373 ounces at 5 mins
Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash) for 90 mins at 69 C = 156.2 F

Hopsock Used: No

Chilling Method: Immersion Chiller (Employed 0 mins after boil end.)

Fermention: 3 packs of Safale US-04 for 10 days at 19 C = 66.2 F

Secondary Used: no
Condition for 14 days.
Consume within 6 months.

Non-insulated (free-range) mash dropped 12F over 90 minutes. Fermented in Brew Kettle
Last edited by GuingesRock on 07 Apr 2013, 01:09, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Return to “Europe”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests