Post #26 made 8 years ago
Primavera wrote:Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...

I have access to locally malted 2-row. I have brewed two batches so far and my GIB has been 10 points lower than expected.

My LHBS confirmed that this was typical for this malt and suggested to use 10% more grain for this malt to make up for the lower efficiency.

How should this be handled in BIABacus?

Thanks

Chris
Assuming he is correct, and 10% will work ...

Write down your original base malt quantity.

1. enter or convert your grain bill to grams (read: not percentages).
2. add 10% to base malt only
3. increase the OG on the right side of section C. "OG override" (leaving the left side the same), keep making it greater until all the grains match on both sides.

you can use more decimal places than are shown, like ... 1.07359

I've never actually done that, but that'll allow the biabacus to account for his instructions. Be sure to write a note in Section I as to why you did this.
Last edited by Rick on 04 Nov 2015, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #27 made 8 years ago
I am guessing we are in the wrong forum for these types of questions, but could you not also just put a 70 beside the grain name in section Y under fgdb? Also have to put a 4 under MC it seems to make the base grain amount change, which is default. The default fgdb is %80. I could be wrong here tho...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #28 made 8 years ago
goulaigan wrote:I am guessing we are in the wrong forum for these types of questions, but could you not also just put a 70 beside the grain name in section Y under fgdb? Also have to put a 4 under MC it seems to make the base grain amount change, which is default. The default fgdb is %80. I could be wrong here tho...
I tried doing this first, and it changes all of the other grains to satisfy the ratio established on the left side of section C.
Last edited by Rick on 04 Nov 2015, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post #29 made 8 years ago
Ah, I hadn't noticed that even though I tried it. Looks like your original answer would be the way to go then.

Edit: If you put it in the bottom 'Actual Fermentable Bill' of section y it doesn't change the others...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #30 made 8 years ago
goulaigan wrote:Ah, I hadn't noticed that even though I tried it. Looks like your original answer would be the way to go then.

Edit: If you put it in the bottom 'Actual Fermentable Bill' of section y it doesn't change the others...
There you go, works for me, too. I like this method better for record keeping sake.
Last edited by Rick on 04 Nov 2015, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post #31 made 8 years ago
Thanks, Rick

Running the numbers as you suggested seems to agree with my observations.

I'm keeping it simple for the next batch - went back to Rahr 2-row until I can experiment with smaller batches of the local grain.

Re: Main BIABacus Help Testing Thread

Post #36 made 7 years ago
Maybe the simpler way for me to figure this out is for me to ask, is there a way to unlock the hidden cells or otherwise expose the formulae so I can follow all the calcs myself?

chris

I'm new around here, and I really have tried to find the right place to ask this question about BIABacus. That said, it might be the wrong place.

I'm trying to eliminate the unwanted conversion going on between "Original Fermentation Bill Design" and "What You Will Use" in section C. I have nothing entered under "substitutions" and I am not trying to alter the batch size of the recipe. Yet unless I enter a really screwy target OG, I end up with a grain bill that is maybe 2/3 of what's listed on the "original" side. I could just ignore "What You Will Use," but I imagine those cells inform some calcs downstream. Anybody know how to do this? Otherwise...what a great spreadsheet! Thanks.

Thanks, Chris Lee, Kenwood, CA
Last edited by chrislee100 on 23 Apr 2017, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Christmas Island

Return to “BIABAcus Help - Testing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests