RIMS BIAB with Stand and Pulley Build.

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi brewers thought I'd show you guys my biab stand I've been building. ready for a test run tomorow too see how it all runs. I still have a rims tube and control panel to mount just waiting on parts to arrive. Whilst I wait on these I'm making a stainless basket to replace my old grain bag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
My goodness! That's amazing rumdrinka :o.

That's a wild second post on the board - good on you :clap:.

Welcome to the show and we'll look forward to seeing more of your adventures on this set-up I hope.

:luck:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Thanks pistol having fun building it, did a bit of work on the weekend . I made the basket just have too tidy up some burrs on it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Looks brilliant rumdrinka. Very cool.
Been thinking about a rims system myself. I just got a stainless fementor last week so happy with it.

This is really nit picking but the only thing i could think of adding to your rig is another connection about half way up on the kettle. Nozzle would need to be welded in at an angle (30deg). That way when the boil is done you could use pump with valve at the inlet to kettle to control the whirlpool.
Like i say really nit picking. But great work.
Ps do a dry run with hot water first and make sure every thing is as it should be.

Post #5 made 9 years ago
I was wondering why you haven't had more posts here rumdrinka and was just thinking that maybe the mods should move this from gas-fired BIAB to the automated BIAB forum. I'll get that organised.

Some things you might get some help on in that forum hopefully is how to get the water re-circulating evenly and in a balanced manner through the grain bed. This was a challenge to a few of them.

I love tinkering but find myself almost always returning to simple, basic set-ups as I seem to find that the more equipment I add, that the longer it take to clean and sanitise :lol:.

So, my tip is to think carefully through your cleaning and sanitising regime.

;)
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Hi pistol, yeah I thought I would have had a few queries about the set up? Maybe should have posted in different section.
I'm planning on recirc in through the lid into the Centre of the basket I'm unsure whether I need to spray wort through grain bed or simply dumping into Centre will agitate grain enough to allow temperature dispersion and stop channeling few test runs should tell me this tho. Too control flow into basket I plan on disconnecting the two tri clover fittings at the plate chiller and joining them together that way pump can run at full potential and controlled by tap to chiller/recirc. It should keep temp even outside of basket also.
It all sounds good in theory I'll see how well it works when I send it on its maiden voyage.
I did a 15 year stint at the brissy Paul's milk factory
Running pasteurisers so have a fair grasp on cip concepts it's just trying to make it work on the diy small scale that's the tricky bit. lol

Ps I think I might like tinkering too much as well and am probably making it over complicated but I'm having a good time doin it lol

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Hi everyone I thought I'd show you it nearly finished just need paint, but can't wait doing its maiden brew this morning to work out all its quirks

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Wow. That looks great. I've been starting think of something like this... may have to harass you about how to build one :)
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Hi onkeltuka feel free to harass me all you want lol
Did my first brew through it yesterday all went well except for the recirc of mash I milled grain for biab which was too fine I suspect as I had to stir grain from bottom to get it too drain properly. So I'm goin too have to open up my mill a bit on the next batch also goin to add more slits in bottom of basket to eliminate this problem hopefully. I ended up with 74% effeciency I didn't account for wort left in rims tube and hose in losses. I need a quick disconnect at pump so I can collect wort before rims tube me thinks. Any who I'll try again next weekend and see how it goes

Post #10 made 9 years ago
Hope you enjoyed the day rumdrinka and congratulations on your maiden voyage of the rig :clap:. You've got onkelutka all excited but I'll try and calm him down below :).

Two things... Don't grind your malt fine whether you be a BIAB brewer or a traditional brewer. When you do so, you lose an excellent filter and cause a lot of other problems for no advantage.

Secondly, I think this site is definitely the leader on understanding the numbers and terminology of your brewing so when you say that your efficiency was 74% this could be very good or very bad depending on the original gravity of your brew and as to whether you are talking about your kettle into boil or efficiency into fermentor. Read through theClear Brewing Terminology thread and/or listen to Clear Brewing Terminology podcast.

Before onkelutka gets more excited, I better point out some of the pitfalls of high-tech :)...

The production of sweet liquor and then boiling it is very, very, simple and requires, apart from a heat source and a kettle, only a bag and an accurate thermometer (if one exists). That's it - four parts.

So be very careful when you add equipment/technology. The more you add will not shorten the brew day. It will not give you better quality sweet liquor or wort. It will add a lot of parts and places where things can go wrong. rumdrinka's pics above are excellent but look how many parts there are :o. There are as many parts in that as there are in a full-scale craft brewery and each of those parts needs to be cleaned, sanitised and maintained.

Technology is fun but just make sure you are employing it for fun reasons and not because you think it will make your brew day simpler or your beer of higher quality because it won't. In many ways, on a small brewery, the less equipment, the more control.

A lot of work and skill has gone into rumdrinka's rig above. I would love to see that same skill get applied to the really laborious side of brewing which is fermentation and packaging. Making and boiling sweet liquor is super-easy! Got any ideas on the backend of the brewing process rumdrinka?

Hope so. You've done great work above ;),
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 07 Oct 2014, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post #11 made 9 years ago
I hear you PP, most of all I would probably want to build a nice and organized workspace for brewing, that would already be a huge improvement. And I don't even have the money to be anything else than a "kettle-and-a-burner"- brewer :)

I still am very impressed when people have the talent and perseverance to build these really impressive rigs :clap:
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

Post #12 made 9 years ago
Now THAT is my kind of project! I love it! Great job rumdrinka. ;) :thumbs:

Any chance you would be willing to go into some of the details of putting something like this together? (parts, wiring, that kind of thing) Also, as I don't know much about RIMS, what are the steps for brew day as far as re-circulation and that sort of thing?

As pistol has stated above, it probably does take more time to clean and sanitize when all is said and done, but for those of us who just love to tinker something like this is AWESOME!!!

Post #13 made 9 years ago
rumdrinka wrote:Hi onkeltuka feel free to harass me all you want lol
Did my first brew through it yesterday all went well except for the recirc of mash I milled grain for biab which was too fine I suspect as I had to stir grain from bottom to get it too drain properly. So I'm goin too have to open up my mill a bit on the next batch also goin to add more slits in bottom of basket to eliminate this problem hopefully. I ended up with 74% effeciency I didn't account for wort left in rims tube and hose in losses. I need a quick disconnect at pump so I can collect wort before rims tube me thinks. Any who I'll try again next weekend and see how it goes
In addition to that coarser grind, rice hulls come to mind.

In regards to wort left in the lines, you can monitor the draining out of your kettle and near the very end, before you loose any siphon, choke down your valve some and start pouring in water until the lines run clear.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 08 Oct 2014, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIAB Automation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 16 guests