Automated multi step BIAB

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Morning All.

The system a Burco tea urn/water boiler with a mesh bottom to keep the bag away from the element.

I've been trying to think of a way to do multi step mashes like the Braumister , my problem is getting decent temperature values.

The only ways I can think of are stirring or recirculating to reduce temperature gradients and generally move some heat about.

I have enough stainless mesh that I could use some to 'line the bag' and stop it getting caught in a stirrer paddle so mixing the mash would be possible.

Before I get stuck into messing about with motors I thought I would ask advice, would mixing work? Or would re-circulating wort via a pump be better?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this as I don't want to jump down the rabbit hole.

Many thanks. Aamcle

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Hi,

that is something i thought of, too. I already got a motorized stirrer for my kettle including a PC-USB-based automatic for the temperaturcontrol. I used that for my old 3-kettle brewingsystem i cant use anymore. I´d just need to build something to hold the bag straight in the kettle. And i need to sew my new bag first :lol:
Braumeister - i guess you mean the one form Speidel, Germany? There are some fellows that built one, but that doesnt seem to be easy.

I guess i will try that - in a few weeks.

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Aamcle, Time is your friend. The multi-step is not exact, a few degrees off is ok.

You only need to stir as you 'HEAT" the wort, so you can get a good temperature.

Each step is timed from 10 minute to 35 minutes, so there is not a lot of stirring.

You can use a spoon and slowly move the grains around, not hard enough to tie up the bag.

Also, you only need to stir as you 'HEAT" the wort, so there is not alot of exercise.

When you get to the last step/Saccharification, there is no more stirring, just 'wrap it up' and let it sit for 90 minutes or so.

I only Step/ramp mash, since I use a lot of oats or corn/rice in my recipes.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
I only Step/ramp mash, since I use a lot of oats or corn/rice in my recipes.
In most classic German-Hefeweizen Beers is a need of a "ferulic acid" -mashing step. And i have to disagree with:
Each step is timed from 10 minute to 35 minutes, so there is not a lot of stirring.
If u want a really dry beer there are mashingsteps like 45 minutes at about 62 °C. (classic method)
The multi-step is not exact, a few degrees off is ok.
If you want to make a beer that can be rebrewed, it would be better to hit a defined temperature which you hold for a defined time.
Last edited by Aries on 26 Jun 2013, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Aries, Your point is good, the beer I make needs a Protein rest(20-30 minutes), and Beta-Glucan rest(45minutes).

I guess your recipe is not my recipe(ha-ha),

The step temperature list I use, is listed as from/to and "best at" and many of the steps Overlap.

Take a look at http://byo.com/all-grain-brewing/item/1 ... ep-mashing

The Final step is the most important to me since it defines the final sweetness in my beer(porter)
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Aamcle

I find pumping works well and is easy to setup.

I control the temperatures with one of these. Temperature Control. I plug the urn into this and set whatever temperatures I want. Automatically heats whenever the temperature drops. The only drawback is the expense. :sad:

I circulate from the urn tap to the top with one of these. Pump

I put my temperature probe into the hose feeding back into the urn. I just drilled a hole slightly undersize and shoved the probe in.

A bit of camping mat is good for lagging to reduce temperature loss

Automatic BIAB step mashing. :drink:
Last edited by majorphill on 26 Jun 2013, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.

Post #8 made 10 years ago
majorphill wrote:Aamcle

I find pumping works well and is easy to setup.

I control the temperatures with one of these. Temperature Control. I plug the urn into this and set whatever temperatures I want. Automatically heats whenever the temperature drops. The only drawback is the expense. :sad:

I circulate from the urn tap to the top with one of these. Pump

I put my temperature probe into the hose feeding back into the urn. I just drilled a hole slightly undersize and shoved the probe in.

A bit of camping mat is good for lagging to reduce temperature loss

Automatic BIAB step mashing. :drink:
I've just recreated one of those with a raspberry pi and a relay board for about £30....

Shame you can't get the pumps in the UK though.

Cheers

Peter
Last edited by peterw on 25 Aug 2013, 00:09, edited 2 times in total.

Automated multi step BIAB

Post #10 made 10 years ago
Lars wrote:I'm pretty sure this si the same pump Peter http://shop.solarproject.co.uk/sp2020-e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tion-pump-£260-p-10.html from the UK, there becoming very popular here and in the UK
I have bought a few pumps from this store and I'm in Australia, I'd recommend them especially if your in the UK already! I can find these pumps locally these days so no need to keep buying from them tho.
Last edited by -Snow- on 27 Aug 2013, 14:00, edited 2 times in total.

Post #11 made 10 years ago
Hi.

Well the brew worked, I achieved my temperatures But it's messy and messy is very bad for my ears.

So I'm now part way through a Brutus 20 build neat and easy to clean :-) like biab it's a full volume no sparge setup in effect biab with the grain moved to a second vessel.

Atb. Aamcle
Last edited by aamcle on 29 Sep 2013, 17:46, edited 2 times in total.
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “BIAB Automation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests