New Low Cost Completely Automatic Electric BIAB System

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I posted in the New Member Area that I have developed an Automatic Electric BIAB system that I'm working on making available to others. It is much less expensive than other commercialized options and easier to clean. Start to finish including cleanup in 4 hours for a 1 hour mash and 1 hour boil batch. It uses a 10 gallon kettle and yields 6 gallons tot he fermenter.

I have a preliminary web site set up with crude pictures and video I took during my last batch http://www.electricbiab.com/. I have developed a purpose built controller with an LCD and keypad that takes care of all temperature monitoring and temperature control as well as automated timing of each step. It also controls the pump for recirculation during mashing and sparging.

I have invested hundreds of hours in programming for this process and now have it to a point of being very user friendly and menu driven.

Please look at my preliminary web site at http://www.electricbiab.com/ and let me know your thoughts.

As I posted in my introductory post, the system operates using the 5500Watt 240VAC heating element that many BIAB brewers are using. I'm looking at a 120VAC option and wondering if anyone has any input as to the viability for 5 gallon batches?

Thanks so much!
Last edited by flyingpole on 20 Jun 2013, 01:09, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Good Day, From my experience, you need at least 600watts per gallon of wort to get a good boil at 788ft Altitude. So, near sealevel you may need 900watts

For a good 5 gallon boil you need at least 3300watt, and 4000watt would be better.

To me, the 5500watt systems are for 5 gallons Final volume, and 8gallons into the boil.

JMHO.....Your Mileage may vary(YMMV)
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Thanks for the input. I'm just wondering if a 1500'watt element is capable of boiling 7 to 8 gallons of water, neglecting time concerns. If it is then technically a120 vac system is possible, it would just take considerably longer. Not sure what the effect of taking longer to get from strike temp to boil would have on the flavor.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
FP, the 1500 watt may take Hours to get to boil, if the attitude is low, as well as the ambient temperature.

Also, the Hot break starts at 180F so, a long time between Mashout and Boil will take out the Hot break Better!

If you FirstWortHop(FWH), you will get Much smoother bitterness and a bit more flavor, from the hops.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 10 years ago
joshua wrote:FP, the 1500 watt may take Hours to get to boil, if the attitude is low, as well as the ambient temperature.

Also, the Hot break starts at 180F so, a long time between Mashout and Boil will take out the Hot break Better!

If you FirstWortHop(FWH), you will get Much smoother bitterness and a bit more flavor, from the hops.
Thanks, I just ordered a 1500Watt element that I'm going to test and see what actual times I get. I've built a brewery in my basement and the ambient temp is always around 68F.

I'll report my findings.
Last edited by flyingpole on 21 Jun 2013, 00:11, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “BIAB Automation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests