Electrim mashing bin and BIAB?

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I purchased a Electrim mashing bin/boiler last year with the intention of doing All Grain brewing.

Does any one use one of these for BIAB?
And maybe have a step by step instructions on how they brew with it?

If so what sort of bag do you use?
what do you use to cover the element so it does not burn the grain?
What temp does each setting reach on there thermostat
Pics would help if possible
Last edited by djseaton on 09 Jan 2013, 06:34, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
From what I have read they do seem to do a reasonable job however, keep in mind you eill only be able to mash enough wort for a 2 gallon (volume into packaging) brew. This is a five gallon pail and you should have about twice that for a 19L VIP BIAB brew. It might be nice for test batches though!
AWOL

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Lylo wrote:From what I have read they do seem to do a reasonable job however, keep in mind you eill only be able to mash enough wort for a 2 gallon (volume into packaging) brew. This is a five gallon pail and you should have about twice that for a 19L VIP BIAB brew. It might be nice for test batches though!

Thank you Lylo,

I understand that i will not get 23ltr out of this, but i dont mind making smaller batchs, if i use a 19ltr cornie, then this type of boiler will be ok?

Also if i was to make a Guniess clone, what would i need grain wise? because most of the instructions i have found are for 23ltr.

Thanks Si
Last edited by djseaton on 09 Jan 2013, 16:35, edited 2 times in total.

Post #4 made 11 years ago
Hi DJseaton

Do you have a Guinness clone recipe that you want scaling? or do you want a recipe for it?

If you have a recipe already, just post it in the Does this recipe have integrity? Can I copy it? forum, and it can be checked over (and easily scaled with the BIABacus or calculator).

If you need a recipe, i did a Guiness clone a few months back that i could pass on.
It does taste similar to Guiness to me, though you don't get the Nitro smoothness. :thumbs:
Last edited by mally on 09 Jan 2013, 16:45, edited 2 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 11 years ago
mally wrote:Hi DJseaton

Do you have a Guinness clone recipe that you want scaling? or do you want a recipe for it?

If you have a recipe already, just post it in the Does this recipe have integrity? Can I copy it? forum, and it can be checked over (and easily scaled with the BIABacus or calculator).

If you need a recipe, i did a Guiness clone a few months back that i could pass on.
It does taste similar to Guiness to me, though you don't get the Nitro smoothness. :thumbs:
Hi Mally.

I have seen loads of recipes online for Guiness, and each one is slightly differnt. I would be intrested in tryin yours out, but like i mentioned before, it will need to be adjusted for a 19ltr wort. Is BIABacus easy to use?

Cheers Si
Last edited by djseaton on 09 Jan 2013, 23:51, edited 2 times in total.

Post #8 made 11 years ago
Hi, nice to see you here as well. When are you planning your 1st use of the boiler? I use a MaxiBAIB method where I mash then do a kind of sparge to top up the boiler. That way I get a full brew length of about 23L. That said I've only done 3 so I'm still learning.

Have a look at this thread for a better explanation than I can give http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=352
Regards

Nic

Post #9 made 11 years ago
Hi DJS

I suppose to try and tidy up some of your questions (if you still need to know)
I purchased a Electrim mashing bin/boiler last year with the intention of doing All Grain brewing.

Does any one use one of these for BIAB?
And maybe have a step by step instructions on how they brew with it?

If so what sort of bag do you use?
what do you use to cover the element so it does not burn the grain?
What temp does each setting reach on there thermostat
I have heard of some people using them, I think they are mainly used in the UK, and they are also referred to as the "bucket of death" outside the UK.
The bag is voile, see thread here or search for voile on the forum.
The bag needs to be kept off the element whilst it is powered on, so either lift (I have a pulley/hoist), use a false bottom. Though in most circumstances you will not need to have power on whilst the bag is in place (unless you need to raise the temp during mashing/mashout).
i can't help with the settings sorry! hopefully somebody else will know :scratch:

I have attached a picture detailing my recipe for Guinness. I did this, rather than add the spreadsheet as i thought it would be good practice for you to get to grips with the BIABacus. If you still want to have a try, just add the details and post up your file for us to check.
guinness clone recipe.jpg
One thing i will state about my recipe is; i prefer the sweeter side of beers, so you can replace the crystal if you prefer dry. The hops are not critical in my opinion, it is about trying to balance it (1:1 gravity/IBU). For me the flavour comes MORE from the grain, than the hops or yeast.

I mashed at 65 Deg C for 90 mins, and fermented with yeast that i think is very similar to US-05. I got 1.042 OG and 1.010 FG.
I bottle condition with cane sugar, so ABV is slightly higher than if you force carbonate.

I hope this covers everything, if you need any further help just let us know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 10 Jan 2013, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #10 made 11 years ago
Si,
I've googled the Electrim boiler (height 41cm and diameter 38cm). That should give you more than enough space to brew a 19-21 l (VIF) beer.

B
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Swaziland

Post #11 made 11 years ago
When I do my next brew with my Electrim (hopefully next week) I shall document it for the OP. I'm still a novice myself but its an easy bit of kit to use.
Regards

Nic

Post #12 made 11 years ago
Jeltz wrote:Hi, nice to see you here as well. When are you planning your 1st use of the boiler? I use a MaxiBAIB method where I mash then do a kind of sparge to top up the boiler. That way I get a full brew length of about 23L. That said I've only done 3 so I'm still learning.

Have a look at this thread for a better explanation than I can give http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks mate,

Im looking at doing this at the end of the month,
Still need to pick up a bag, and also need to get the grains and hops.

im going to follow Mallys Guiness clone (thanks for that)

Thank you all for the info, there maybe more questions off me yet :D

Mally your clone says 34.25 litres at the start of the boiler, however this boiler will not fit that amount in, will i adjust the amount of water to go in and the grain?

Thanks Si
Last edited by djseaton on 11 Jan 2013, 04:54, edited 2 times in total.

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Hi DJS

Have a look at this thread
Then at post #9 Yeasty will direct you to his recipe that is already in the BIABacus for you.
It is quite similar to mine, but does not have the crystal additions, so will be obviously less sweet.

You will need to change a few of the variables in the form (kettle etc.) to suit your setup.
Then just change the desired volume into fermenter until the mash volume fits.
To be honest, i am crap at explaining this kind of stuff.
Just have a go at altering it, and post it for us to check. Or maybe somebody else can help explain it better :think:
Last edited by mally on 11 Jan 2013, 05:39, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #14 made 11 years ago
I've actually owned a BruHeat boiler (I think they went out of business but were virtually identical to Electrim) back in the 1970s so they are well tried and tested. I brought mine to Australia and did quite a few brews back then before it went to God and of course no spares available in Australia.

They are too small to do a "pure" BIAB if you are looking for 20 - 23 litres, but more than adequate to to a BIAB plus sparge. Basically do a BIAB as per the using an electric Urn article, but drain the wort into a second vessel such as an empty Fermenter. Then do a sparge with 80 degree water, also collecting in the FV. And after hoisting and disposing of the bag, transfer the runnings back into the Electrim to boil, making sure you keep enough headspace to avoid boil overs.

Resulting brew would perfectly fill a pressure barrel.

Bags are available to fit from any supplier that does Electrims, AFAIK, otherwise get some voile.

Post #15 made 7 years ago
Hi. Im a new brewer and learning the BIABacus... am hoping someone can have a quick look at my numbers.

I want to brew a Stout (Guiness clone) this weekend and came across Mally's recipie above.

I transposed it into the BIABacus and then set Section B to match my equipment (being a 15.1L KMart pot) and target VIF = 10L. This seems to have scaled the gain bill accordingly.

I wasn't sure of his VAW so I set IBU's instead to his target, which gives me the hop bill as entered.

Finally Ive elected to hold back 4.75L of water into the boil (Section W) because I want to mash in with 10L of strike water due to equipment limitations

Many thanks for your review !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #16 made 7 years ago
Hi JayP.

That was a long time ago, I am struggling to even remember that far back!
The info was originally from "the calculator" not "the BIABacus" so I'm not 100% on this but the VAW is most likely the brew length (23L).

Your equipment; section "B"; as long as they are your dimensions that should be fine.
No problem with "C". For "D" you could try and put VAW at 23L or leave it. However, you will need to add the AA% of the hops you get. I would be surprised if you get exactly the same. The BIABacus will scale the hop bill based on what you enter in the AA% column of "substitutions" to give you "what you will use".

Section "G" hopsock has a 2 in there. only enter Y/N as this will affect trub management values & hence volumes.

If I were to do this again I would probably try Irish ale yeast, but no problem if you already have US05.

That's a big dilution into fermenter so you are going to have some inefficiencies. Are you able to sparge the grain bag instead? If so, change your 4.75L to sparge and see the effects.
I would also recommend removing the entries you have in evaporation & KFL (unless you absolutely know these) as it is better to get a few brews done with defaults and then make alterations.

Cheers and good luck!
G B

Post #17 made 7 years ago
Thanks Mally !

I've measured my evaporation and KFL across 4 brews so am reasonably happy with those numbers.

section G hop sock must have been a typo - I'll double check.

I will also use Irish ale yeast.

I'll have a play with the sparge v dilution and see what I come up with. One of the other members Pistol Patch has given me some pointers on dilution pre boil in his volume thread. I'll go back and reread everything to be sure.

Much appreciate the time you e taken to respond. Thanks a bunch !
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIAB Automation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests