First BIAB SMaSH

Post #1 made 7 years ago
I've assisted friends during their brews...and thought it was time to do my own. This was my first solo and thought BIAB was the way to go!

Ended up doing two batches of 5G (19L). It was a blast!

The plan for each batch (attached the xls also
Batch A1 - SMaSH 5G.xls
):

1.058 OG
12.5lbs of Great Western Malt - 90 min mash at 150.8 (66C) (split a 1/2 bag so 12.5lbs vs 12lbs)
0.5oz (14.2g) Citra @60min
1oz (28.4g) Citra @20min
0.5oz (14.2g) Citra @5min
1.0oz (28.4g) Citra @ flameout

Since this was the first time, my equipment setup was an estimate. Also, insulation for the mash needs improvement. I did need to fire up a couple times.

I ended up with 7.2 gallons at flame out after 90 minutes of boil. My OG was 1.054. Probably should have boiled down a bit more.

I found my actual evap rate to be 1.2G (4.56L) / hr. At least for yesterday's conditions, around 55F / 13C). I think I'll adjust my KFL to 0.53G (2L)

Can't wait to do more!

Kettle Setup:
Kettle-sm.JPG

Bag Draining on a tray - then squeezed:
kettle-with-bag-sm.JPG
baib-on-kettle.jpg

Into the 7G fermentor:
fermenting-sm.JPG

I used this timer to track additions...great for a free app! Multitimer:
multitimer.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jeremy35 on 02 May 2017, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
    • Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Re: First BIAB SMaSH

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Congratulations Jeremy!

Skimmed over things and looks like it went well. Glad to hear.

Do you use a pulley or something similar for your BIAB bag pulling? I assume so but didn't see it in the pictures.

That app might be a good idea. But extra stuff... Better yet if Pat could figure a way to link it to the BIABacus so things don't have to be entered twice... :think:

Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Re: First BIAB SMaSH

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Thanks!

Good question on the pulley. I did buy one just in case. But I found this tray in the BBQ section of Home Depot. It fit perfectly. The handles and corners act as support. It still was a bit of a lift, but not that bad.
BBQ-Tray.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Brew Day Stories and/or Pics”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests