My Keezer Build

Post #1 made 2 years ago
Yep, another one of those millions of other documented keezer builds!

I pondered over various designs, but eventually opted for the "lid hinges on collar" version instead of "collar & lid hinges on freezer".
Designs for these tend to fall into either sitting the collar on top of the fridge so it sits flush to edges (but can move around),
or creating a similar collar but then fixing a larger piece of timber over it so that you create a ledge/step that fixes over the
freezer outer edges (prevents moving around).
My idea was to use both systems, i.e. single piece of timber but also have a step (see pic1).
KEEZER1.jpg
So the routed edge keeps everything steady/snug, and costs are kept down as you only need 1 length of timber.
i opted for mitred edges for better aesthetics. Wood glued and screwed each corner for stability (screws counterbored so hidden).
KEEZER2.jpg
Assembled collar with 3 strips of weather seal (this was very cheap, otherwise could use more expensive wider stuff). All internal joins
are filled with silicone sealant (mould free stuff). See close up pic.
KEEZER3.jpg
I'm not one for natural finishes or stains so instead opted for vinyl wrapping, and happened to find a nice brushed aluminium effect piece.
The idea is sound as you "could" get a superb finish/effect, and is essentially waterproof, however, I have tried using this stuff before on other jobs
and it requires a certain skill that I don't seem to possess to get a perfect finish! Anyhow, it still is an improvement IMO.

I opted for 3 taps to go with my 3 cornies, and the newly introduced Inkbird temp controller. Drip tray is 14" stainless steel that easily screws to the collar.
The taps are also fairly new to the market. "Intertap" and are forward sealing & stainless steel (with 6" Stainless shanks).
KEEZER4.jpg
Close up of the taps & drip tray. I will show some more pics of these taps later for anyone that is interested.
KEEZER5.jpg
The inside view showing 3 kegs (23 Litre chaps), John guest pushfits throughout (even on back of shanks), CO2 (6 Kg), and space for possibly 1 or 2 more?
KEEZER6.jpg
These 3 kegs have the same wort but with 3 different lager yeasts, as I am still in pursuit of my ultimate lager.
For info on lager yeasts IMO;
Coopers lager yeast = Meh
W34/70 = Average
Wlp800 = Worse than Meh
S189 (I obtained from Australia years ago but now seems to be more readily available) = Good.
wlp838 = Good (but will not clear).
Wlp802 = Probably the best of them all at the moment?
I just need to see how these adapt/change over future brews.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 18 Feb 2016, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 2 years ago
Intertaps

Just 5 pics of the Intertaps disassembled.
INTERTAP1.jpg
INTERTAP2.jpg
INTERTAP3.jpg
INTERTAP4.jpg
INTERTAP5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 18 Feb 2016, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
G B

Post #4 made 2 years ago
Thanks Shetc

It's hard to say really as I have nothing to compare them to (my first ever taps).
However, they do work well as taps. Turn off when off, and let beer out when you pull the lever :headhit: :lol:
G B

Post #7 made 2 years ago
:). Fantastic mally :salute:.

Top build and very neat and tidy. Great to see the John Guest fittings, they are a brewing god-send.

With the JG fittings, some tricks I've learned that you might already know are:

- to check for leaks in the gas lines after a major set-up, charge the beer and gas lines up with gas but don't have them connected to the kegs. Leave overnight and then loosen one of the joins. There should be a good escape of gas. This checks for all leaks except leaks.

- if you suspect a leak around the keg poppets, DO NOT spray the attached disconnects with a strong mix of Starsan; use soapy water instead. One of my mates did it with a strong mix of Starsan tolook for bubbles and it totally wrecked them. I have had no problems though, doing my sanitising etc in a normal mix of Starsan.

Nice new shiny kegs there Mal :). Carefully check the inside of the kegs and make sure there are no weld lines. You may or may not remember the problems I had for several years with brand new kegs? The weld lines inside were not ground and polished flat. Took me ages to find that problem. Basically, it was impossible to clean and sanitise them properly. All kegs should be like Cornies on the inside, smooth everywhere. If not, return them and get new or second-hand cornies. We probably should be pointing that warning out a lot as a lot of new kegs are floating around now and I have seen a heap with the dodgy welds.

Very nice :party:,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 2 years ago
PistolPatch wrote: to check for leaks in the gas lines after a major set-up, charge the beer and gas lines up with gas but don't have them connected to the kegs. Leave overnight and then loosen one of the joins. There should be a good escape of gas. This checks for all leaks except leaks.
Top tip that Pat, cheers.
Checked after 48 hours and still held pressure so looks good so far.

Will check the keg welds, but from memory they are fine. The first one I bought about 2 years ago and have not had any problems (yet).

One other addition to the Keezer is a sticky backed blackboard vinyl. This stuff is great as you can peel off and reapply as many times as you like. It even comes with 5 different coloured chalks, so you can write down the beers on tap "craft brew pub" style.
Last edited by mally on 22 Feb 2016, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
G B

Return to “Brew Day Stories and/or Pics”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 5 guests