My first BIAB

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Well, just punched out my first BIAB after a number of years on a variety of different systems.
Overall it went ok. Used an urn controlled by one of my old PIDs. First minor issue was my PID was registering 98 deg C at a rolling boil. Only noticed at start of boil so I guess I mashed hotter than I wanted. See how it attenuates?
The urn also only allowed for a soft rolling boil at maximum power. Internal thermostat on urn kept cutting out so only allowed a simmer. Will find a sparky to rewrite it so my PID has full control.
Lastly, I had a lot of trub backed to the bottom of the urn. Hopefully no off flavours? Wort too hot to taste at the moment.

Hard to attach photos from a phone, will attempt to later.

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Congrats on the first BIAB! There are a few things that can affect the boiling temp of water, one being elevation, so depending on your location that may be the correct temp at boiling. The trub shouldn't be a problem for off flavours, what kind of beer is it? I always get more trub with wheat beers and hoppy beers when I use pellets, but never causes any issues. The courseness/fineness of your bag can affect this too...

Let us know how it turns out!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Thanks guys!

It is definitely the probe goulaigan. I am in Sydney where water boils at 100*C, but thank you for pointing that out as I didn't make that clear. Will be valid for others. My previous system was a 3 vessel HERMS, though I've borrowed a mates braumiester a few times... well a lot... and this brew definitely had the most amount of trub I have ever seen... I put it down to not recirculating? I'm sure it will be fine, my concern was the scorched part of it.

I also noticed that my post boil efficiency (in kettle) was only one percent under what I expected, being 69% instead of 70%. Though my evaporation was a couple litres out of what I was expecting... am I really calling 1% an issue? If that is a "problem" I'm doing pretty good!

Here is what I made for a club saison challenge/case swap (ignore the inventory):

12-05-2014 Saison

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------

Brewing Date: Friday December 05, 2014
Head Brewer: Jarrad Salmon
Asst Brewer:
Recipe: Saison

Efficiency Specifics
--------------------
Recipe Efficiency Setting: 70 %

Inventory Analysis
------------------

Grain/Malt/Extract/Sugar Origin Recipe Kg Kg In Stock Kg Needed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JWM Export Pilsner Australia 4.50 25.00 0.00
JWM Wheat Malt Australia 0.40 5.80 0.00
Cane Sugar Generic 0.30 0.00 0.30
Rye Malt America 0.20 0.00 0.20
Special B Malt Belgian 0.10 0.00 0.10
Weyermann Abbey Germany 0.10 3.75 0.00

Hop Origin Recipe g g In Stock g Needed
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Galaxy - Pellet Australia 11.00 372.00 0.00
Czech Saaz 08 - Pellet Czech Replub 20.00 0.00 20.00

Extras Recipe In Stock Needed
-------------------------------------------------------

5.2 Ph fixer 1.00 469.00 0.00
Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) 2.00 296.86 0.00
Epsom Salts (MgSO4) 1.00 350.10 0.00
Gypsum [calcium sulfate] (CaSO 4.00 279.00 0.00
Lemon Mertyl 2.00 0.00 2.00
Orange Rind 2.00 0.00 2.00
Yeast Nutrient 0.50 45.67 0.00

Yeast Recipe In Stock Needed
-------------------------------------------------------
1.00 0.00 1.00
( )

Mash Notes
----------

First BIAB. Purchased a new Urn so why not?

Preboil = 25L @ 1.034 @ 50*C = ~1.045

Post = 23 @ 1.044 @ 35 = ~ 1.049. Sugar not added in kettle, will dose in ferment.

Fermentation Notes
------------------

Sugar will be added to ferment

Problem Notes
-------------

Temp controller was 2 degrees out. Read 98 deg C at rolling boil. Re-calibrated probe for next brew. Urn doesn't allow rolling boil, turns off (need to rewire).
Darker than expected... Brown, not golden.
Trub burnt on the bottom of kettle. Nightmare to clean, no off flavours in kettle sample. Under trub was a layer of beer stone. Sodium perc followed by starsan got it off.

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Jazza, we'll get your questions sorted when we have a beer on Thursday.

Congratulations on your first one :clap:.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Brew Day Stories and/or Pics”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests