Post #26 made 10 years ago
i'm happy to answer :)

I do not want a sour beer but I have read a few things and I am struggling to understand if it will be sour tasting on the first brew. So you have done a few brews in the barrel and the beer has not come out sour yet?

not sour at all so far :thumbs:

The barrel I have was sulphited before I got it, but has been stored empty for a few months now. so I just need to rinse it with hot (i guess boiling) water that's sounds easy enough. How much do you use? I am guessing you need a large amount otherwise it will cool down quickly once it is inside the barrel?

its good that it was sulphited but if its been empty than it may have dried out. you should fill it with hot water and let it soak for a few days so that the staves swell up. not too long as to not get mold. i would drain the water after a few days and that rinse with alcohol OR sulphite it again before filling with beer.

Do you store yours empty between use?

it's not a good idea to let the barrel dry out. i've heard you can fill it with water and Sodium bisulfite and store it that way.

I notice you ferment the beer first then age in the barrel, but you fit an air lock, do you get much additional ferment activity? do you leave much headspace in the barrel?

not much but some additional ferment activity. try to minimize the headspace.

does your barrel leak much or do you prime it to soak the wood so it swells?
no leaks at all. if the barrel has not dried out you shouldn't have any leaks either

Last question, do you notice any evaporation? In a podcast Jamil suggested there will be evaporation through the wood?
there is some evaporation. and you may want to plan a top up brew a few month into the aging. we haven't done that so far.
Last edited by shibolet on 24 Jun 2013, 21:40, edited 5 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #27 made 10 years ago
this is a pic of my new barrel. 100 Liters.
now filled with a belgian dubbel to get some of the oak flavours out. the next will be a lambic style beer.
942073_10151661308370336_1878623122_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shibolet on 24 Jun 2013, 21:45, edited 5 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
to be brewed:

Post #29 made 10 years ago
I didn't want to start a new thread, but thought somebody (Todd, Noam)? may be interested in this pellicle pic.

It is about 3 months old at the moment (still a baby).

Used cultured dregs from a drie fonteinen oud gueze (brett, lacto & pedio).
threw in some medium toast french oak chips about 1 month ago.
drie fonteinen 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 30 Aug 2013, 17:24, edited 5 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #32 made 10 years ago
Mally, that looks yummy! I've got one that will be having it's second birthday in November, reckon I'll celebrate by finally bottling it.

Hey Noam, I bought a used whiskey barrel this past Spring but haven't put anything in it yet, I'd like to dump the cake from my 2 year old sour into it to get a 'house strain" of bugs going but the barrel is still fresh with charred oak. I'm planning on soaking it a few times with water just to get the strong oak flavor out, what do you think? Of coarse there is a local brewery here that does a barrel aged Double IPA that is really good, maybe I'll run a couple batches of IIPA through it to get the oak out. (I've been slacking all Summer and need to get back to brewing)

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #33 made 10 years ago
Todd, run a beer or two in the barrel to get some oak out. i did a belgian double which came out very nice. i'm not big on the 2xIPA personally.
i also have a 1.5 year old lambic that i plan to use the cake from to inoculate my barrel. hopefully in the next two weeks.
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #34 made 10 years ago
today we will be filling our group barrel for the fourth time (the third run got cut short by mistake).
this time a Saison, fermented with Belle Saison Yeast from Danstar.
the FG before going into the barrel is around 1.002 !
Last edited by shibolet on 01 Sep 2013, 20:29, edited 5 times in total.
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #35 made 10 years ago
Just filled the barrel once again
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #36 made 10 years ago
shibolet wrote:Todd, run a beer or two in the barrel to get some oak out. i did a belgian double which came out very nice. i'm not big on the 2xIPA personally.
i also have a 1.5 year old lambic that i plan to use the cake from to inoculate my barrel. hopefully in the next two weeks.
so those two weeks ended up being two months :roll:
finally bottled my 18 months old lambic and used the dregs to inoculate the barrel. now begins the waiting game.
Last edited by shibolet on 16 Oct 2013, 17:56, edited 4 times in total.
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #37 made 10 years ago
I haven't got around to doing anything with my barrel yet but I do have a lambic that will be having it's second birthday in December, hmmm.........
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Flat Beer to Beer”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests