Post #4 made 14 years ago
Lots of people say that it will lose carbonation as it warms up, but I think it's a load of crap.

Theoretically, it will lose carbonation as it warms, but the co2 coming out of suspension has nowhere to go because it is in a sealed container (keg).

So any co2 that comes out of suspension when it is warmed will be held in the head space of the keg and re-absored when it is chilled.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #5 made 14 years ago
Just backing up what hashie is saying ...as long as you keep a positive pressure on the keg, your beer will be fine until next time you chill it down and serve it.
Everybody's waitin' for the man with the bag ... K Starr (1950)

Post #6 made 14 years ago
About three years ago I transported two kegs across Australia
(Gold Coast to Sydney to Perth) during summer over a period of a month. I expected them to both be undrinkable as the temperature in my van often got to over 50 C.

On arriving in Perth, I tried the lager first and couldn't believe it actually tasted great!!! Full of confidence, I then tasted the ale and nearly died. I have no idea why I didn't stop and smell it first :?.

In hindsight, I suspect that what the guys above are saying is true. Perhaps the lager keg retained its pressure whilst the ale keg may have had a leak?

I'm certainly glad I didn't throw the beer out before I left QLD as this "experiment" was quite most surprising.

Give it a bash and see how you go!
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 14 years ago
The same can be said for bottles right?? So long as they are stored properly?
I'm always a bit touchy about buying warm/cold beers from the bottle shop depending on what I'm going to do with them.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 12 years ago
long term storage above 65F will cause a delta shelf life decrease! it has happened to me with kegs only lasting a few months, then near the end taste leaning towards not so tasty. try not to swap warm-cold-warm-cold a bunch of times either.
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]

Return to “Flat Beer to Beer”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests