CO2 vols in a keg vs bottle

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I just brewed an English Mild. While researching the recipe, I came across this....
Mild needs just enough carbonation to impart a bit of mouthfeel and to drive the aroma out of the glass and up to your nose. Too much carbonation and the beer becomes dry, harsh and acidic. Gentle carbonation can make the beer feel creamy. Target a carbonation level of 2 volumes for bottled, 1.5 volumes for kegged and just over 1 volume of CO2 for cask conditioned beer.

If all vessels were carbonated the the same CO2 level, would there be a difference between the percieved carbonation level when the beer comes out of a Keg vs Bottle vs cash? :scratch:

trout
Last edited by 2trout on 18 Feb 2014, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 10 years ago
in this case "cask conditioned" refers to cask (as in "real ale") and not a force carbonated keg.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Hi shib,

Ive got an idea about what a real cask conditioned ale( is(though I've never had a real one.) I guess my question is why suggest one CO2 level for bottles, a second level for Kegs, and yet a third for cask conditioned? Am I missing somting or misunderstanding the sentence entirely :think:

trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews

Post #4 made 10 years ago
:scratch:

I don't know where that reference is from trout, but it does seem wrong IF they are saying;
The carbonated beer "in your glass" should be different based on how/where it was conditioned. I would have thought the beer in your glass should be at the same level regardless of how it was produced.

Or..

Do they mean by "target" that they expect some carbonation differences between the different formats and that the beer in your glass will end up the same?
Again, this seems odd, as they are then presuming your setup will be the same as theirs?
Last edited by mally on 18 Feb 2014, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Great question trout :salute:,

I suspect it might end up in the misinformation thread :). All of us in this thread know about the discrepancies between bottle proning and keg priming from this thread. I'm thinking the same as mally. I reckon the guy has confused the carbonation goal with the sugar weight he has read in a calculator.

What's the source of your info trout? Who wrote that advice?

:peace:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 18 Feb 2014, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 10 years ago
The Quote is from Brew Your Own Magazine Style Profile Column by Jamill Zainasheff

In the all grain recipe it says
Target a carbonation level of 1 to 2 volumes depending on your packaging.
Busy day in the shop, Ill do more research later :geek:

trout out
Last edited by 2trout on 19 Feb 2014, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbrews

Post #7 made 10 years ago
2trout wrote:The Quote is from Brew Your Own Magazine Style Profile Column by Jamill Zainasheff

In the all grain recipe it says
Target a carbonation level of 1 to 2 volumes depending on your packaging.
Yep, well to me (and to a lot of you) that is wrong.

Jamil and John are very approachable and will reply to your questions so my suggestion is to write to one of them and say, "Hey, what's the go here?" Tell them PP thinks there was an error and said to write. (They will have no idea who PP is even though we have corresponded under a different name :lol:).

Once you get that one sorted, there is another big one to sort out.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Feb 2014, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #8 made 10 years ago
well i believe some of our English friends may be able to clear this up.
As far as i know, in England, cask beer is very lightly naturally carbonated in the cask and then served by beer engine.
The CO2 volume is very low (1- 1.5) and the head is actually produced by pushing the beer through the special beer engine tap.
Now the same beers from the same brewers, when packaged in bottles, may have a different CO2 volume (and sometimes a higher abv). this is achieved by natural carbonation or by force carbonation.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Was thinking about you the other day shib wondering what you were up to and here you are ;).

English cask beer is lightly carbonated and can be served in two ways. Either 'on the counter' in which case you really want to drink it in a few days as air is sucked in every time you pour a beer. The other way is that it is pumped under very low pressure through the beer engine. (From memory, the beer engine still needs gas pushing the beer to it but only enough to overcome gravity. Been twenty years since I mucked around with either of the above :roll:.)

But, this still doesn't resolve trout's original question
If all vessels were carbonated the the same CO2 level, would there be a difference between the perceived carbonation level when the beer comes out of a Keg vs Bottle vs cask? :scratch:
The immediate answer is, "Yes". The unresolved answer is still...

"Why wouldn't you want the same perceived carbonation in all three packages?"

Still got me buggered :scratch:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 21 Feb 2014, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Flat Beer to Beer”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 5 guests