Another way to add late hops to No-Chills.

Post #1 made 13 years ago
I no chill in a cube - one disadvantage is that late hop additions can end up a bit muted as the wort temperature can remain very hot for a lot longer. So what I have started to do is (thanks to argon on AHB forum:)

• Nochill as usual but do not do any 10 minute or flame out additions.
    Chill the cube down to really cold in the fridge (I do it in two stages - overnight on the floor then into the fridge the next morning to avoid the fridge going "WTF - no way dude"
    Pour three litres of wort into a stockpot and reseal cube immediately. Then do the 10 min boil or flameout addition.
    Pour the cold wort into the fermenter followed by the boiling wort from the stockpot.
    bingo all the advantages of nochill and similar effect to rapid chill re the late / flamout additions.

This brings you to instant pitching temperature, so pitch.

To work out what starting temperatures you'll need for a particular pitching temperature I've found this useful online calculator which is handy: http://www.onlineconversion.com/mixing_water.htm

Last edited by Beachbum on 08 Mar 2011, 07:52, edited 5 times in total.

Post #2 made 13 years ago
MODNOTE: Another great idea BeachBum. I have changed the title of this thread and moved it to the 'Chilling' forum where I am hoping it will get the maximum reads and responses. Thanks BB, Nuff.
Last edited by Nuff on 08 Mar 2011, 21:57, edited 5 times in total.

Post #3 made 13 years ago
Great idea BB :clap: and A+ to Argon :champ:

Been wanting to reply to this post for a while finally got the chance.
I have been a little unhappy with the aroma in my NC APA's :sad:
Cascades and Amarillo should hit you right in nose :yum: but all I have been getting is a light tickle.
I haven't dry hopped or tea hopped yet and had been doing a bit of research about it( a bit worried about infections)
But reading your method below sounds like something i'm definitly going to be trying.
One question is this done in a hop bag or put through a strainer when you transfer to FV or either

Mex :salute:

Post #4 made 13 years ago
Why doesn't dry hopping work for this? Does the late addition hops have to be heated? Because I am lazy I normally just add the late additions as dry hoping after all fermentation is done. I thought that active fermentation would drive off the volatiles? I add to the primary unless I am reusing the yeast. When I started cubing I added late additions to the cube before I added the wort. I thought "where could the aromatics go in a sealed vessel?" I now just dry hop? Is heat the answer?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 13 years ago
joshua
Wow thanks for the information. I will have to look at this in detail and do some research. Maybe some changes are in for me?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Hopping”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 24 guests