Is There A Fix For Under-Hopped Beer?

Post #1 made 7 years ago
I recently finished a batch of beer that wound up under-hopped. Long story on why... Does anyone have a fix for this? :scratch:

I was considering making a Hop Tea and blending it into the beer... Perhaps pour all into a cleaned and sanitized fermenter, then back into the Corney Keg.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Re: Is There A Fix For Under-Hopped Beer?

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Hey Joshua,
So this is the same thing as my LHBS recommended... For whatever reason I am a little concerned about adding this concentrate to finished beer. 
It's done and in the keg. Had a couple glasses of this last night (along with a few glasses of others). It's like I'm "willing" myself to like this brew.  :ugeek: Not quite there yet, and likely never will be. There is Hop bitterness there, but it's not perfect balance. Body is a tad light as well (for a Czech Pils); likely user error on my part with too low mashing temperature.?. Or maybe it's just the Hop balance causing issues...needs more flavor. Sterling imparted too much citrus flavor; in future will go back to only using Saaz, at least in the finish. And is fairly cloudy...not super clear. Gelatin fining agent didn't do its job, or perhaps it's something else...? :scratch:  It's fairly good, but for the effort required, I prefer to brew only "very good" to "awesome" brews.   :thumbs: (Well we don't know unless we experiment... :cool: )
I've never bought from Yakima Valley Hops before. Believe MS bought hops from them recently too. I just bought a bunch of hops from MoreBeer, and am frustrated because their packaging does not list the year of production. (Remember my past posts about estimating AA loss over time; if you don't have the hop year, no way you can estimate current AA). No response to my email so I will be calling them this week... Think in the future I will be looking for a different source for hops... Maybe Yakima Valley Hops would be a good source.
Last edited by Scott on 04 Dec 2016, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Re: Is There A Fix For Under-Hopped Beer?

Post #5 made 7 years ago
I have buggered up the hops in one brew before, forgot to double the hops (before I started using Biabacus).

Just boiled up a seperate hops schedule using a hops bag, then added that to the keg.

Seemed fine, not optimal results but fixed the bittering problem.

For what its worth alot of comercial breweries use hops extract for bittering, but keep in mind still needs to be boiled to get bittering.

Return to “Hopping”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests