Is there any point in using aroma/noble hops for bittering?

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hello,

As I understand it, hops added in the beginning of the brew mostly contribute to bitterness - other flavors diminish due to the heat and time spent in the kettle. Still I see many recipes calling for early additions (sometimes even as FWH) of noble hops, when in fact one could use a fraction of the amount by adding bittering hops, such as magnum, with over twice the %AA. This saves money, both because bittering hops are cheaper (at least where I live) but also due to the fact that you use less.

Is the reason simply because they didn't have any high %AA hops available or am I missing something?

Edit: Changed title
Last edited by Kangarooster on 18 May 2016, 07:16, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Kanga, The FWH Method Does have a "Flavor" Addition, But, Not as Strong as Hop Stand Does.

If you Brew a LOT, the Nobles Like Fuggles, do not cost $$$$$$.
See http://www.hopsdirect.com/fugglusp1/

Then you can Join the discussion about How LONG do Hops Keep the AA%
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
That was cheap. Where I live (Sweden) one pack of 100 gram hops range from $6-$8.5, and $3.5 for bittering hops (which in addition have more %AA per $). If you buy larger quantities, you might save 1$/package.

BTW, magnum cost the same amount of money on that site but it will last twice as long, so the price is actually half that of fuggles when compared as bittering addition. :)

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Traditionally some of the higher AA hops were not available. Some folks want to stay true to some historical styles so they will use these lower AA hops.
I personally us Magnum unless I am brewing a pilsner or something else that calls for low bitterness.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Return to “Hopping”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests