Post #26 made 8 years ago
Scott, as my last post, the way Morebeer did their experiment is the Worst way to "Hold" Hops.

"*At 20 °C (68 °F) for 6 months with no barrier packaging."

There are many way to Store Hops, that are much better, and will make there Numbers, Useless.

Peace!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #27 made 8 years ago
Of course that high temp is the wrong method to store hops... Nobody is suggesting doing that! If you read the MoreBeer article, the formula they list allows for calculations at different temperatures (and of course they suggest freezing temperatures for storage).

The formula allows you to more accurately predict the "New AA" forecast for what Alpha your hops should have dropped to over at a certain consistent storage temperature (one variable) and a time period (another variable in the equation). But...if you do store your hops at 20 deg C - the temperature the hop industry uses for their 6 month "Storability" test - the formula will estimate what your hop AA levels would then be. And same if you store them at -2 deg C like Indie Hops or -20 deg C like me... Helpful tool, no???

Joshua, could you open and read / reread the MoreBeer article? Actually reading it should make things much more clear. You may have just skimmed... After that - if you like what the author is saying - and I think you will - give my spreadsheet a quick review...and hopefully then all makes sense. The spreadsheet just helps a non-math-wizard like me ability to use this formula quickly and get a good quick AA estimate without having to work through the math. Nothing more, nothing less... For those of us that don't use that level of math (haven't since college 20-30 years ago) a tool to help do the math is kind of nice...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #28 made 8 years ago
Been looking forward to this Scott :party: (Will get to spreadsheet at end ;))...
Scott wrote:I've never made hop tea before. Seems like it could be totally subjective though.
Yep, it is subjective but, two scenarios, and I think you picked up on the latter...

Scenario 1: If you (and preferably a few local brewers or, now that I think of it, non-brewers might be even better) can taste the hops you bought on several occasions, then this might give you an idea of how good your storage methods are. If you made up a 'scoring sheet' that any brewer or non-brewer could fill out, then I think that would tell you a lot about your storage conditions of different types of hops. (You have the brains to come up with that scoring sheet - please do it and we can use it on the new site!)

Scenario 2: If many brewers from different regions do the above, then, some generalisations can be made. For example, this storage method works better than this one. This hop variety seems to store better than that one.

If 'testers' were able to source hops direct from supplier, then, yes, of course, more conclusions could be made but, until that is possible (the new site will look at that I reckon) conclusions will be limited but sill very valuable.
Scott wrote:I would think breweries would store hops in a freezer or at least walk-in refrigerator...
I'm not sure on nano breweries but micros and above, as far as I know, always only refrigerate. I've never heard of from commercial brewers that I know that they freeze. Be interesting to get more research on this.

[center]Your AA% Loss Over Time Spreadsheet[/center]

What a bunch of lazy members :). I'm only the second person to download your spreadsheet - I thought more would have done so by now :sad:. Don't worry though Scott, the same has happened to me many times :). It is still always disappointing though to me, initially, when hours of hard work don't even get a glance but, in the end, it works out because the disappointment, for me anyway, forces you to refine, refine and then refine again until it all becomes obvious and simple.

I can't tell you the amount of people that write one thing, get no acknowledgement, and then, either give up, or keep trying to push it. The right way to go is to just get it right. The only way I know of doing that is to keep working at it until you "know" it's right.

I love your thinking on this spreadsheet :thumbs: and I can see that it has taken a great deal of thought :salute:. I really think you should keep working at it as and when you get time; I do think it will become a very valuable tool in the future. (Feel free to send your revisions to me directly - posting on the board is often not a good idea - people get sick of revisions even though we authors get excited by them. I've learned that through experience :nup:).

In fact, I'm actually going to write to you directly with my thoughts if that's okay?

Good stuff ;),
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 17 May 2016, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #29 made 8 years ago
I finally got a chance to download and look at the spreadsheet. It is absolutely brilliant. It is going to be a very useful tool along side the Biabacus.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #30 made 8 years ago
Well I can't take near that much credit... The BIABacus is far more comprehensive, with more formulas doing a wider range of things, etc. But hopefully this is something that can be a help. So, thank you...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Hopping”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests