To much hops

Post #1 made 8 years ago
I've added to much hops to this brew (Below) and would like to know what I can do about it. The taste of the beer is far to bitter. This is only my second brew and I did not follow the recipe completely as written.

Should I make another batch with only 25% of the hops and then mix the two batches together? Or what should I do?

This is the URL for the original recipe http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3293

Hoporific Landlord - Batch 1

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Tim
Style: Bitter
Source Recipe Link:

Original Gravity (OG): 1.044
IBU's (Tinseth): 35.3
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.8
Colour: 14.4 EBC = 7.3 SRM
ABV%: 3.97

Efficiency into Kettle (EIK): 87.6 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 79 %

Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 68 C = 154.4 F
Boil: 90 min
Ferment: 10 days at 18 C = 64.4 F

Volumes & Gravities

Total Water Needed (TWN): 38.5 L = 10.17 G
Volume into Kettle (VIK): 37.22 L = 9.83 G @ 1.031
End of Boil Volume - Ambient (EOBV-A): 25.53 L = 6.74 G @ 1.044
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 23 L = 6.08 G @ 1.044
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 21.3 L = 5.63 G @ 1.013 assuming apparent attenuation of 70 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to www.biabrewer.info (needs link)

99.3% Golden Promise Malt (5 EBC = 2.5 SRM) 4297 grams = 9.47 pounds
0.7% Black Malt (1300 EBC = 659.9 SRM) 30 grams = 0.07 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

Columbus 91.0 grams = 3.21 ounces at 90 mins
Columbus 22.6 grams = 0.797 ounces at 20 mins
EKG 15.0 grams = 0.529 ounces at 15 mins
Columbus 33.9 grams = 1.196 ounces at 5 mins

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash) for 90 mins at 68 C = 154.4 F

Mashout for for 1 mins at 78 C = 172.4 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients

1 Tab Protofloc (Boil) 5 Mins - Clarity

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: Y

Chilling Method: Immersion Chiller (Employed 0 mins after boil end.)

Fermentation& Conditioning

Fermention: WLP002 for 10 days at 18 C = 64.4 F

Secondary Used: N
Crash-Chilled: N

Req. Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Serving Temp: 6 C = 42.8 F
Condition for 7 days.
Consume within 6 months.
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 8 years ago
How did you deviate from the recipe?

The bitterness to OG ratio in the recipe looks good to me. Did you input your hop's AA% into the file to calculate the amounts needed? If you didn't and your hops AA% was higher you would have ended up with a beer that is more bitter than you intended.

There are three options really. 1 Add something sweet to the glass when you pour it, like honey. 2 Make another less hoppy batch of beer and mix the two. 3 bottle it and wait. The bitterness will decrease over time, hopefully into something you can enjoy. In aging the beer a lot of the hop flavour and aromatics will also be lost. If you can rack it somewhere for some months and then dry hop it when it tastes good you can fix that.

I did this recently and decided to go with option 4, dumping the batch. I didn't want to risk mixing two beers and having them turn out horrible. Then I would be stuck with a lot of beer I don't like to drink! My beer was super, SUPER bitter however.

Make sure you record what you did wrong so you can learn from it and hopefully not repeat it again.

Good luck, let me know what you decide to do and how it works out, I'm extremely interested.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Thank you for your reply Rickoles.
Being new to BIAB I don;t understand your first paragraph,
" The bitterness to OG ratio in the recipe looks good to me. Did you input your hop's AA% into the file to calculate the amounts needed? If you didn't and your hops AA% was higher you would have ended up with a beer that is more bitter than you intended"

How do I go about calculating the hop's AA% ?

I will definitely take your advise and not do another batch incase I end up with a lot of beer that does not taste to good.
Your advise on adding something sweet sounds a good idea. I might add a tablespoon of brewing sugar to each corni keg. What do you think?

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Hi Philip321

The bitterness to OG ratio basically tells you how bitter a beer is going to be. It's a great measurement to use when brewing as it allows you to balance the sweet malts with the bitter hops. Have a read of this article. It's quite short and explains it very well. http://beersmith.com/blog/2009/09/26/ba ... ess-ratio/

BIABacus calculates this ratio for you as you will see on the recipe you linked. It's one of the first measurements listed. In order to calculate this ratio all you need to know is your target OG and the target IBU.

When following a recipe like you have you need to make sure you input the your hop's AA% (alpha acid). This number varies with each hop type and even the different crop years of the same hop. The higher the AA% the greater the bitterness. You need to adjust this in the calculator in order to work out the amount of hops you should use. You will find the AA% on the front of the hop packet.

I know it sounds confusing and I probably didn't explain it very well, but the more you play around with the calculator the more you will learn.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Hello rickoles,
Have I got the following correct:-

I enter the recipes OG in section C. The Fermentable Bill in the BIABacus.

I enter on the BIABacus in section D. The Hop Bill under "Please just set my Desired IBU's (Tinseth) to 35.3 (This figure is taken from the original recipe)

and then I make sure the AA% (taken from the hop packets) are correct.

If I have the above correct then I've made a huge error in the amount of hops used.
I have used 162.5 grams of hops instead of 41.2 grams = I have used 5.732 Ounces of hops instead of 1.452 Ounces

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Post #1 looked good, how does what you're saying now differ?

Post your file with what you got.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Hopping”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests