Need advice this morning.

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Brewing in a couple hours time so need some advice..

Last time I did a pale ale I hopped in the cube only, one cube simcoe and one galaxy, it worked well with wort transferred around 90C and left to naturally cool overnight.

I'm thinking today of doing the same with galaxy and citra, or I'll add galaxy as 10min and 5min additions as per the recipe and dry hop them with separate hops?

BIABacus and recipe are here: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... es#p41350

Thoughts?

Pros: two different pale ales

Cons: fair bit of hops in the cube, used hop bags last time and they are annoying to remove...
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Nicko, if you add Hops at 90C, the Flavor, and aroma with be taken out into the Wort, down to 50C.

Depending on the AA% used you with get 15% utilization of Bitterness down to 55C.

That 5 or 10 minute addition may be a waste of hops, or you could add/double the Hops at 90C and No-Chill.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
joshua wrote:Nicko, if you add Hops at 90C, the Flavor, and aroma with be taken out into the Wort, down to 50C.

Depending on the AA% used you with get 15% utilization of Bitterness down to 55C.

That 5 or 10 minute addition may be a waste of hops, or you could add/double the Hops at 90C and No-Chill.
Why might it be a waste of hops?

Thanks mate.
Last edited by nicko on 13 Dec 2014, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Nicko, if you have read the post at http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=2215

You could see that the Bitterness is good at "First Wort Hopping", and a 90 minute or 60minute use.

The waste of Hops may be that you whirlpool, and leave those 5 and 10 minute additions in the Kettle, Instead of Using them in the No-chill process.

Also, Flavor and Aroma additions at 5,10,20 minutes can wait until Flame out, and get the same, or Better, Flavor and Aroma as the wort Cools from Boiling, Plus a boost of Bitterness.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 9 years ago
joshua wrote:Nicko, if you have read the post at viewtopic.php?f=150&t=2215

You could see that the Bitterness is good at "First Wort Hopping", and a 90 minute or 60minute use.

The waste of Hops may be that you whirlpool, and leave those 5 and 10 minute additions in the Kettle, Instead of Using them in the No-chill process.

Also, Flavor and Aroma additions at 5,10,20 minutes can wait until Flame out, and get the same, or Better, Flavor and Aroma as the wort Cools from Boiling, Plus a boost of Bitterness.
Thanks mate, I'll have a read. In the interest of curiosity I decided to FWH this batch to see what it's like...
Last edited by nicko on 13 Dec 2014, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Contrarian wrote:You can use a 60 minute addition to get a portion if your IBUs and still cube hop to get 2 different beers. Works well.
Thanks bro, I'll try that next time, I'm going to dry hop with different hops.
Last edited by nicko on 14 Dec 2014, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

Need advice this morning.

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Nice, definitely one of the benefits of no chill! You can also use different yeasts to create very different styles from the same grist. For example I used the same grain bill and bittering hops with different cube and dry hops to make a galaxy pale ale and a saison with citra.

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Cool thanks mate, I need to get more drinkers around so I have more brewing sessions!

Return to “Hopping”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests