Post #2 made 10 years ago
I'm a little concerned about the sack squeeze after I do a hop stand in hot wort too. Curious to hear peoples comments.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 10 years ago
I squeeze with little concern, all I do is sanitize my own hands. I'd rather have cloudy beer than less beer, and it settles out after a couple weeks of bottle conditioning anyway.

I went through an experiment recently to determine why I was losing so much beer, and it was due to the hops soaking it up.

If I hop stand, I still won't take the hops out until it's chilled. After my usual 30 minutes, the beer is at sub-isomerization temps, so I just leave them in for potential aroma benefits. If you desire to squeeze hops while still hot, sanitized gloves would work fine.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
I'm more concerned about oxidisation from the grain bag squeeze than any cloudiness - I do it anyway, so far with good result.

I think I'll be leaving the hop bag in till cool next time too. I've just been squeezing with the edge of the urn lid thus far, too much hoppy goodness not to squeeze...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Dski,
I'm more concerned about oxidization from the grain bag squeeze than any cloudiness
Squeeze the hop bag and don't worry so much about oxidization. Dumping hot wort from a pot into another vessel will do the damage, not a simple splash.

the-erl
Just wondering if anyone squeezes the hop sock after dry hopping? I just dry hopped with just over 200g of hops and lost a fair bit of wort, so was contemplating squeezing the next time
I don't use a hop sack for dry hoping. I just dump the hops into the primary and let them sink or float. If I am reusing the yeast cake I use a secondary and dry hop there. If you soak your hands in StarSan I don't see why you would infect your beer. Remember that the sugars are already converted to alcohol so there is little food for bacteria to reproduce. :nup:
Last edited by BobBrews on 08 Jan 2014, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Cheers chaps! :P

I'm going to give squeezing a go on the batch I've got on at the moment and see how it goes.
I don't use a hop sack for dry hoping. I just dump the hops into the primary and let them sink or float. If I am reusing the yeast cake I use a secondary and dry hop there.
I can't seem to get my hands on whole hops so I use pellets. Although if I do maybe I'll give your method a go BB.

Erl
Last edited by the-erl on 09 Jan 2014, 06:30, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hopping”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 17 guests