Post #26 made 9 years ago
Hi Folks,

Finally got to brewing again, and this time was able to do some pH testing with the Duotest paper. 15 minutes into the mash, I measured a hot sample (69C), and the same sample at room temperature. The reading was the same, at about 5.7. Brun Water estimated 5.5, so I added 2ml of lactic acid (88%) to the mash, which brought the pH down to 5.4.

So I think going forward, I'm going to take the pH readings at mash temperature.

Cheers

Post #27 made 9 years ago
BDP,

It sounds like you know what your doing! pH is important. I ignored it when I started brewing. Now I record it and try to amend it each brew.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #28 made 9 years ago
BrickBrewHaus is online Bob! He should have something great to add here. In the meantime, you go and check the Chat :lol:.

BDP, I must say that I find the Duotest paper a hell of a lot more consistent (and easier) than my pH meter reardless of temp.

:peace:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #29 made 9 years ago
Just my 2 (euro)cents :p
Best and quickest way is to use decent test papers. And it comes from somebody, who was using pH meters. For us it's really the best and convenient way to take measurements.
This plus monitoring water 'source' stats (they can change during the year), should result in comfy solution for enzymes to break the starches :)

Return to “Brewing Water”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests