pH too high?

Post #1 made 9 years ago
I've just had my tap water tested at an aquarium shop and it came up with pH 8.1. I read somewhere that the ideal pH is 5.6 (ish?). I live in Pembrokeshire, South Wales and believe the water to be soft (little limescale build up in kettles, etc). Should i treat my brewing water and if so with what?

Thanks all,
James

Post #3 made 9 years ago
James, you have nothing to worry about here.

8.1 is quite normal for starting water. Once you add your crushed grains to it, it will drop down to a much lower pH.

For a new brewer (and many existing/experienced brewers), you do not need to worry about water chemistry to produce a great beer and, if you are lucky, a perfect beer. You quoted 5.6 above. This is actually incorrect for many styles and situations. And, to tell you the truth, I have never seen any 'perfect' or anywhere near perfect maths/logic on this pH area.

To be sure you are in the ball-park though, buy some pH strips and check your full volume mash a few minutes after you add your grain/grist and maybe ten minutes after again.

That should be your first step into water chemistry I think. I also think that if your mash pH is somewhere between 5 and 6 then you have more important things to worry about if your beer is not tasting great. For example, the recipe itself.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 31 Jan 2015, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 9 years ago
There's some weird things about pH paper that I should have mentioned above sorry. Basically there are two different types. Suss out pH strips in this thread. Hopefully your ones are also the right type Dave :peace:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 04 Feb 2015, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Thanks to brewdave I have just order 10 strips to trial.

Pat - they are advertised as suitable for wort in as much as they show...
beer-strips-2.jpg
Can compare to my digital pH meter, but will probably never get around to it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 04 Feb 2015, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7 made 9 years ago
On your next order, consider buying the 5m roll mentioned here. Whilst the strips above are correct for wort, a roll will give you over 150 tests and the gradations and paper are more precise and easier to read.

When do order a roll, try and remember to click on the Amazon banner at top of the page. We have had it going for 19 months now but have only just cracked $100.

:lol:.
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 06 Feb 2015, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #8 made 9 years ago
I seem to remember those particular ones are either difficult to source in the UK, or are very expensive.
Maybe Bob needs to add these to his "cheese" winners awards!
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “Brewing Water”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 3 guests