Water treatment for FVM stems?

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Before anybody gets excited about partial pressures and reaction equilibria I feel that I must point out that I have trouble chewing gum and walking!

What I've gleaned seems to focus on old style 3V systems not on FVM.

My process is this -

Mash in reserving some water for two dunk sparge.
Mash as required.
Remove bag and dunk sparge.
Add the sparge to the kettle.

All very standard if not pure full volume.

Do I treat the full volume of water to reduce alkalinity or do
I have to further reduce the alkalinity of the sparge water?

Thanks. Aamcle

Ps What's the best additions calculator for FVM

www.frankenbrew.co.uk
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Firstly, totally agree with Josh - treat all the water. (That way all your water is coming from the one 'river'. Some three vessel brewers don't bother treating their sparge water. To me, this is pretty crazy.)

Secondly, if you can fit all the water needed for your brew into the kettle then do a full volume mash for 90 mins as sparging will not give you any advantage.

:peace:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 9 years ago
PP I've read your reasoning as to why FVM doesn't benefit from sparging and I believe you have over looked something.

The sugars from 5 to 6 kg of grain will dissolve in 20liters of water as readily as they would in 30liters. I can not persuade my self that their solubility coefficients are such that they suffer any issues at these concentrations.

That's largely beside the point, the grain bed acts like a spong retaining wort and sugars. A sparge simply flushes the most of retained wort from the sponge (grain). Think of it as a super squeeze.

Aamcle
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Aamcle, If you can, place the Wet Bag of Grains, between two Plates, or Screens, or hands with Silicon/Pvc gloves, ans Squeeze the Snot out of the bag(I still don't know how Snot get's into the BAg), until the grains are just damp......

Dump those grains into a second pot and just Cover them with water, stir very well and Drain.....

Measure the Specific gravity of the water, and check how close to the Sweet Liquor is.

You may find that Sparge is UN-nessesary.

BTDT.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 9 years ago
aamcle wrote:PP I've read your reasoning as to why FVM doesn't benefit from sparging and I believe you have over looked something.

The sugars from 5 to 6 kg of grain will dissolve in 20liters of water as readily as they would in 30liters. I can not persuade my self that their solubility coefficients are such that they suffer any issues at these concentrations.

That's largely beside the point, the grain bed acts like a spong retaining wort and sugars. A sparge simply flushes the most of retained wort from the sponge (grain). Think of it as a super squeeze.

Aamcle
It's a difficult one to get your head around and I know exactly what you mean when you say, "The sugars from 5 to 6 kg of grain will dissolve in 20liters of water as readily as they would in 30liters." In fact, it is much less but that is actually not relevant. I'd love to be able to come up with the perfect analogy to explain this but for now, the best I have is on jeans in a washing machine that has no spin cycle. I'll have another bash at explaining this in the thread I see you just started. That'll be my last long post for 2014.

:P
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 31 Dec 2014, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Brewing Water”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 27 guests