Post #2 made 10 years ago
[Okay let me just re-write everything I have just written seeing as I was using Internet Explorer which is something I never do. NEVER USE IE :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:]

Lars, Lars, Lars :),

Why are you throwing a question like that at us the day before brew day? :o :evil: :lol:. First lesson - always plan your brews, especially high gravity ones, a few days at least before brew day so as you have time to ask questions and have them answered. The quick answer is, "No."

35 L + 0.75 * 7 (kg) = 40.25 L (every kg of grain you add to the grist increases the mash volume by 0.75 l)

Anyway,there's the answer you were after :). (Note the BIABacus will give more accurate results but the above is close enough).

So, what are you going to do now? Second lesson because I know you love them :love:...

Always give as much info as you can. For example, have you already bought the grain and crushed it? Also, have you got a high-temp, food-safe bucket? What's the OG of the original recipe? What volume are you hoping to get into the fermentor? What's your kettle height and diameter? What's the boil time (should be 90 minutes)?*

Third Lesson

You only have two choices open to you Lars...

1. Reduce your batch size - if using the BIABacus, lower your desired VIF in Section B.

2. Employ Full Volume Variations - the BIABacus is the only program that can handle these calculations.

I'm pretty sure you aren't using the BIABacus Lars. If so, the original question would not be necessary as you would have seen something like...
2014-04-13_11-37-21.jpg
It's very understandable why older members here might not be using the BIABacus however, here's some good news...

The final lay-out, terminology and formulas of the spreadsheet form have been completed and I'm hoping that an idea we had today will allow for much faster, intuitive help and faster writing of it than I could have hoped for. So, when the main release comes out, it should be very easy to learn.

:thumbs:
PP

P.S. As an Enthusiast, if you are using the BIABacus, I or someone else, can help you out more with the latest pre-release which is tucked away here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 13 Apr 2014, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Thanks PP. I confess! I'm not using the biabacus:) I have my grain weighed out but haven't milled it yet. In truth I only started taking proper measurements a few brews ago(but the beer is great anyway). My kettle is a SS Buffalo boiler. For this one I'm going to keep some water back then. I'll measure the depth of the boiler. Maybe it'll take 42 or 43 litres!! PP I bought beer Smith a few years ago and stopped using it because I thought it was crap. I also never dialled it in properly. When I get a little time I'll get stuck into the biabacus and see how it works. Its pure laziness (+ 2 young kids)that stops me figuring this stuff out. Thanks v much for the help!

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Haha - excellent answer Lars :),

For you, I would just wait until the BIABacus main release. It will only take a short time to learn then.

Btw, you can't set up BeerSmith or any other program besides the BIABacus to be dialled in properly anyway. They are the elephants in the room.

Tomorrow just crush the grain you have weighed. Put about 30 litres in your kettle, heat it to strike temp, add your grain and then add more water but don't over-fill your kettle. What you can't fit in, try to heat in another vessel and then pour through your grain bag which you will have pulled after the mash. This is assuming you have pulled it and then sat it in a food-grade high temp plastic bucket.

So many assumptions though :nup:.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Hi Lars, I have a buffalo urn, when you put your measurements into Biabicus you will see it calculates the total volume to around 43.2 litres. All you need to do is measure the depth and width and the smarts in Biabicus works out all the tricky stuff for you.

So the volume right to the rim is a little more than the stated capacity. However a word of warning (from my own failure) don't fill the urn and grain bill right to the very top. The Swiss voil acts like a syphon. The guys here call it wicking. And water will siphon out of the urn during the mash if it is filled right to the brim. So big mess and loss of water which you don't want.

Since I learnt that lesson, I try to keep 1 -2 cms headspace so that isn't an issue. As PP has pointed out Biabicus also allows you to hold some water back from the mash if need be and you can add it once you have pulled the grain.

Good luck, but I would definitely recommend you get the Biabicus, put in all your measurements and it will work it all out for you. (Plus many many more smart things) then you can also use it to calc your head space and boil of rates etc etc etc. well worth investing a little time in this as it's a great tool.

Cheers
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Return to “The Boil (Sweet Liquor to Wort)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests