Post #2 made 12 years ago
Hi Solly,

Yep, beginner / intermediate BIAB brewer in JHB West Rand myself. A couple go guys from Worthogs JHB club have also tried but I'm not sure whether they've continued with the practice.

Where are you based?

Rgds,

Ludwig

Post #4 made 12 years ago
I've done 2 successful BIABs to date, but have paused for a while to upgrade some equipment. I'm interested to know if you brew with gas or electric? Where did you get a brewpot large enough for biab?

I'm converting an old copper geyser to a brewpot now as I couldn't find a large enough rig elsewhere in SA other than buying an all grain rig.

Post #5 made 12 years ago
Hi

I use gas, a two ring burner

I was very fortunate to obtain a 50l stainless keg that had been decommissioned which I cut open.

When I first started I used a 25 liter aluminum pot and did maxi brews which did work to get me going.

I know of a place in Durban as well as Cape Town selling large aluminum and stainless pots, but the geyser will definitely work.

I have also been using the no chill method for cooling the wort and have had not issues yet.

Re: BIAB in South Africa

Post #6 made 12 years ago
Hey guys, I am from PE, done 7 BIAB brews so far. Just ramped up from a keggle to a 90l plastic barrel, first brew in the barrel is busy fermenting, so holding thumbs it holds up, but I don't reckon there's going to be any major issues. Was way cheaper...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Re: BIAB in South Africa

Post #10 made 12 years ago
Check the websites for sinvac plastics and premier plastics, they are both in Jhb and definitely sell them. I still need to check mega plastics here in PE, but I think they do as well. If you aren't the diy type, Vincent also sells a complete one with all it's fittings already on.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Post #11 made 11 years ago
Hey Fellow Citizens,

Thread seems quite old, thought Id post and say hi any case. 2 Brewers from PTA started BIAB few months ago.

We got a 50L urn from Makro (caterpride I think) and it seems to be doing 22l batches pretty well. Using the standard coppertun fermentors and secondary into 22l glass carboys to clear up the beer.

:peace:

Post #12 made 10 years ago
Hi,

Here's hoping you SA guys are still active on this forum. :think:

More about me can be found HERE

My question for now is, were did you guys go for your bags?
I need a fairly large bag for a 50L converted keg/keggle (top cut open with tap & sight-glass fitted)

:peace:
Last edited by JIGSAW on 25 Oct 2013, 02:56, edited 4 times in total.
The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From South Africa

Post #16 made 10 years ago
Any of you guys know of a place in SA that sell corona style mills .... google not helping much this side.

BIAB in South Africa

Post #17 made 10 years ago
Hi. Errol here from Harties. I made a bag from Muslin cloth bought at any Midas or hardware store. You get about 4 bags from it. I have not found a site that sells Corona Mills but will keep my eyes peeled. FYI. The latest popular mechanics magazine has a nice feature on BIAB. I personally have not done a batch BIAB yet. (My next one is as I am tired of malt extracts). BTW my bag fits comfortably over my 21 l pot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post #18 made 10 years ago
Hemingway,
I made a bag from Muslin cloth bought at any Midas or hardware store.
If you look hard enough you can find a store with "Shear drapery material". Basically it's drapery material or polyester. We normally use it for the sheer drapes, you know the thin stuff that hangs. But it is tough and (unless it's on the bottom of a heating pot) doesn't melt! Look for that! Muslin doesn't drain that well?

http://youtu.be/Rh04dELHB5U

Cheers! :thumbs:
Last edited by BobBrews on 11 May 2014, 05:13, edited 4 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #23 made 10 years ago
Hi there, Can you guys recommend a good sanitation product I can get in SA. I am using Milton (I have a few little ones running around) at the moment but not sure if that is an acceptableprodusct to use when sanitising my equipment. I would appreciate your comments on that one.

Cheers

Post #25 made 9 years ago
Hemingway wrote:Hi there, Can you guys recommend a good sanitation product I can get in SA. I am using Milton (I have a few little ones running around) at the moment but not sure if that is an acceptableprodusct to use when sanitising my equipment. I would appreciate your comments on that one.

Cheers
> http://brewmart.co.za/index.php?route=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... uct_id=190
Last edited by JIGSAW on 18 Jun 2014, 15:36, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Africa”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests