Re: East Fremantle Brew Day - Sun 19th

Post #28 made 7 years ago
Brew4me wrote:Hey, scored some Origin Pacific Airways tickets real cheap off the internet, if I can find were they fly out of you can count me in. :scratch:
Pete
Missed your post Pete. Excellent news! You probably won't see this post though as you will be on the plane by now, Only 33 °C (91 F) today. Great weather for chilling.  :shock:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #29 made 7 years ago
Finally, a moment to post. What a busy week  :argh:
Brew day was bloody hot! The only two people that didn't show were the ones we were going to teach how to brew - lol.
A few quick notes...
Lukas: I was scared when you posted you had some beers for us to see what was wrong with them but, the three ranged from one that was excellent to one that was above average so only problem, as discussed, would be your CO2. Nice job mate and apologies I didn't have two seconds to sit down and have a proper yarn. Thanks also for the tucker you brought along and for looking after yourself so well.

Sinkas: I'll let Sarah explain the amazing beer you brought for us to taste. Sorry you couldn't stay much longer and for the sunburn you got  :)

Everyone else is not on this board but special mention to Nev and Dave who caught the train down (an hour trip) to arrive at 2pm and then had to leave at 6:00pm as train line back was closing at 7:00pm. Dave lives another 40 minute drive from Nev. Hadn't seen Dave in six years and couldn't believe he travelled all that way. Wish there was much more time to have stopped and had a yarn.

Special mention also to Phoebes who did railway runs and entertained everyone while myself or Sarah were brewing. And, last special mention to Mia who helped do the brewing clean-up and then lead us stragglers astray into a fun and relaxing evening, night, morning....

Most of all, a very special thanks to my bed which finally saw and accepted me at 11:30am on Monday morning  :argh:

An excellent break - good stuff!
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #31 made 7 years ago
Todd, I thought I had several defamatory pics but can't find them. Most were of Sarah and she tends to access my computer when I'm not looking. A lot of files go missing though I've noticed; not sure if that is because she uses Apple and accidentally deletes files on my PC or, if she does it on purpose?

I'll have them buried somewhere though mate.

In the meantime, here's a vid of Phoebes getting dinner prepared. (If you knew Phoebes, this is the most unlikely vid you would ever see!!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pat on 26 Feb 2017, 20:32, edited 3 times in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #32 made 7 years ago
did the beers come out at right specs?
 are they fermenting well?
 I'm still shocked at how poor attendance is at these events,
 15 years ago you would have to talk people out of coming

any way thanks for putting on the day,
"there is nothing nicer that standing in the 35 C sun next to a pair of NASA burners at chest height"

• MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Estonia

Post #33 made 7 years ago
Lol, sinkas!
It was hard work indeed but glad for those who could make it in drips and drabs. Next time we'll have to put it on facebook to ensure plenty of helpers!
I'm pretty sure Patch pitched the candi syrup on Friday, and as far as I know all temps have been within range and no dramatic blow-offs or anything.
Hopefully we'll get a few good pics of transferring as we've come up with a cool new method!
Can't wait to get final gravity and a few tasters!
Cheers,
Sarah :drink:
No BIPs? Get them while they're hot!
    • FWK Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #34 made 7 years ago
Lol on your sunburn sinkas  :)
You do realise that those brewers from 15  years ago have all turned into cyclists :smoke:
I feel a bit bad though as I just didn't have time to invite a few of the usual mob. We'll do it again soon though but no brewing, just relaxing!
Beers are going well. Just been putting freezer blocks in hot water to bring Belgian up to 28 °C (82 F). Crazy stuff considering outside we've been over 30 °C for a while now.
Sarah's coming around tomorrow arvo to take some pics for new site so drop in for a beer on your way home from work.
:peace:  
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #35 made 7 years ago
hey finally got around to chucking up a post myself.

thanks Pat for opening up your home again, always enjoy catching up for couple beers!
sure was a hot day and with limited shade was a tough one LOL
Sinkas as always spoiled us with some nice and different commercial samples , cheers mate!!

agree Pat mate next time lets just get together for a tasting day so we don't have any brewing to worry about, a good mix of home brew and commercials would be great!
will have to do it once the brew day beers are ready so i better get on change my co2 and brew a batch !

cheers,

Post #36 made 7 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Lol on your sunburn sinkas  :)
You do realise that those brewers from 15  years ago have all turned into cyclists :smoke:
I feel a bit bad though as I just didn't have time to invite a few of the usual mob. We'll do it again soon though but no brewing, just relaxing!
Beers are going well. Just been putting freezer blocks in hot water to bring Belgian up to 28 °C (82 F). Crazy stuff considering outside we've been over 30 °C for a while now.
Sarah's coming around tomorrow arvo to take some pics for new site so drop in for a beer on your way home from work.
:peace:  
Hi,
 not sure which yeast you are using, ( thought it was t58 which can be very ester'y and phenolic about 22)
 but 28 is only used fro DuPont Saison strain in my experience, esp once sugar is added,
I would keep it consistent at 24-25 or risk huge phenols,
 perhaps add the sugar 1/4 every 2 days
    • MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Estonia

Post #37 made 7 years ago
Meant to reply last night but was distracted by the lightning storm. Actually stopped thinking/working and sat outside and watched it. 30 minutes of continual lightning and roaring thunder without any rain. Then a hard rain of about 15 mins here. What a show! I kept imagining what it would be like in Neanderthal times witnessing such a thing. If it happened on the first day you brewed a wheat beer, you'd never brew that again  :lol:

Yep, Lukas, I much prefer tasting days for social events; get time to talk and actually taste beers. Actual brew days are much better with only a few people focused on trying something different or learning. Maybe a tasting day in 3 or 4 weeks?

Sinkas, the good news is that I don't care about the Belgian :P. Just joking ;). It's not a favourite style of mine but I don't mind it. What I do like or find fascinating is how the Kolsch and Belgian are very similiar in grain and hop bill; it's mainly the yeast that makes the difference. I'm more familiar with the Kolsch and know what a difference fermentation temps make with that (I like fermenting low for Kolsch's). As for the Belgium, I have no experience. I can't even remember what temp we fermented the Fresh Wort Kit (FWK) of Belgian on tap atm at but it was fermented with T58 and definitely didn't let it ferment high.

The Belgian we brewed the other day, used T58 as well. Pitched at 18C and recipe said raise it to 28C. I would have no doubt you would be right on your comments above so lucky I'm lazy :). That started at 18C, then someone got over-zealous with ice bricks and it dropped to 16C. Then went to 22C. It's only the last four days I've tried to rise it and the highest it got was 26C.

As for the sugar, that all got thrown in on about day four with 3 litres of water to get the gravity right . Used your 500 grams of candi sugar and, had no white sugar, so threw 500 grams of raw sugar. Beer is beer!

This Belgian is the only beer I've brewed (on purpose) at above 22C except for a Saison. Brewed that with Sarah (don't have time to look up the notes/recipe but she might have them handy and be able to correct me) which we used a heatpad on and I think went to 28C. That was actually a nice beer. Several members here helped out with the recipe, good on them!

Anyway, let's plan a tasting day  :party:

Return to “Australia & New Zealand”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests