Grain Mill For Kiwis

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hi
Just received one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... dCategory= MaltMuncher grain mills off trade me of all places
Fantastic price delivered from Oz all in $135 NZD.
Its actually a Keg King Maltmuncher No 5441.
Looks pretty Kosher hopefully mount to some mdf for the weekend to try out a Ruddles County style brew.
Have they fallen off the back of a lorry that's quite a saving.
Regards
TT
Last edited by tingtong on 23 Nov 2015, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
[center]i ting tong![/center]
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From New Zealand

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Hard to tell mate but from the pic, I think you might have scored well there. The rollers look of a large diameter and that is what you want on a two roller mill. See if you can measure the diameter of the rollers as I think that will be the key.

Oh and the next key will be setting it up which will take you ages - lol!!! (Unless you do small batches, you want to motorise it and to do that you need the right motor (or geared drill) etc, etc.

I love my mill but it also causes problems as it forces me to buy grain in bulk and often I don't end up using the grain in time and I like things fresh. Hard to know the right answers here I reckon but as long as we are having fun and brewing great beers then it's all good I reckon.

Keep the thread going tingtong and we might be able to help yo9u with how to gear it etc.

;)
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Just had a bit more of a think on this and there are two more things...

1. I think that is a good price and I think on looking at the specs, you might be able to drive it with a drill but am not sure.

2. I looked up MashMaster (my mill is one of the first releases) and there are actually a few differences in shank size but, the major difference is that the two rollers are geared together so as they can't slip as in the pic below. I'd totally forgotten that!

But the MashMaster is a lot more expensive and I can't see any probs with your mill as long as you don't feed it too quickly and that might be the only difference (you can definitely force-feed the MashMaster!). Let us know how you go please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 27 Nov 2015, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 8 years ago
I have the same mill tingtong. Had it for about 18 months and it's been great.

I use a low rpm high torque battery drill on mine and other than crushing wheat (which is like rock compared to barley) the battery drill has no problem.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Thanks for replies previous mill was a heavily modified Victoria electric drill powered flour mill so expecting a bit more refinement with this.
Will try with my previous electric drill set up
All of my grain bills todate have been under 6 KGs so if i had to use the supplied crank handle it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Might look into powering with an appropriate car / truck windscreen wiper motor loads of info on google to sift through.
Main use will be for English style ESB s so should be no worries.
Will be getting a brew on the go tomorrow.
Been brewing every other weekend lately so reliable gear is starting to come into play now
TT

Post #6 made 8 years ago
oh well best laid of plans
haven't managed to test new mill out as our house goes up for sale on the 15th
so doing one final brew tonight before i have to clear everything away.
When i get a new place it will be so set up for brewing ... and no more NAGGING lol :sneak:
Ruddles County Ale recipe sourced off many places on internet no integrity whatsoever but hey i have that feeling in my bones this may be the nectar of the gods :pray: those Bramling cross hops took a lot of sourcing
TT

Post #7 made 8 years ago
Ive only just got my mill up and running properly after about 6 months.I got a Mash Master mini mill thinking it would be the best bang for buck. Turns out it has a few issues.

I started just using a drill but because it wasnt i high torque drill I had to run it at full speed which would just shred the grain. It also made the bearing pop out a few times which I thought I had broken my $200 mill at first. Then I tried using a motor from a bread making machine after seeing it used on another brewing forum. Total failure. I could crush the grain but again only high speed and only a about 1 cup at a time. So to mill 5kg or so I had to trickle it in which took about 45 min of very noisy grain shredding.
I finally got a grain mill motor from Motion Dynamics with a sensor control (to prevent small rocks damaging the mill rollers). I highly recommend this motor but you do have to wire it up yourself which took me another month or so with my limited time and total lack of electronic skill (I can solder and thats it).
So I finally have a working motorised grain mill (I would have preferred a hand crank to start with tbo) but it turns out that the new versions of the Mash Masters have an issue with the nurling on the SS rollers wearing out. It doesnt seem to be an issue yet but after 6 or 7 brews it definitely looks like its getting flatter and a bit dull. I have a feeling the motor will out last the mill.

If I had my money again I would just buy a Malt Muncher and a MD motor.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #9 made 8 years ago
nosco wrote: I finally got a grain mill motor from Motion Dynamics with a sensor control
If I had my money again I would just buy a Malt Muncher and a MD motor.
Great post Nosco just the Info I needed for when I start using mine here's their website https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/
And thank you joshua for the excellent set up links
Hopefully trying these out sometime soon
TT
Last edited by tingtong on 07 Jan 2016, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Grain Mill For Kiwis

Post #11 made 8 years ago
I have one of those motion dynamics motors and they are fantastic. Took me a while to get it all set up with the wiring and mounting etc but well worth it in the end and would be much less trouble for someone a bit more proficient in the field. Would be happy to talk anyone through how I set mine up as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452250738.050673.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452250781.350918.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452250828.271031.jpg
The motor will easily outlast the mill and probably a couple more as well!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Contrarian on 08 Jan 2016, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post #12 made 8 years ago
I was sure I posted last night?.... :scratch: anyway...

I use a 1mm gap for my rollers and 1.2 for wheat which seems to work perfectly. About 1/4 powder and the rest husk and cracked grain. I think I had the same gap when I used the drill but who knows. I was using a 2lt juice bottle as a hopper. It was getto only with a $200 mill :lol:

TingTong, yep thats the one. Same one Contrarian is using. You do have to get your own power supply though which ads extra to the cost. Not to be out done by Contrarian here are some pics (that I thought I already down loaded). A bit pleased with my self. I'm gonna try and get the bread machine motor hooked up as a mash stirer for an automated system. Just for no good reason really. Doing 2 brews in a weeks time. Cant wait. Pics...
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.

Grain Mill For Kiwis

Post #13 made 8 years ago
That a nice neat job! I've seen them hooked up in dozens of different ways with the only common factor that everyone is happy with the result!

The additional things you will need are a power supply, a drive shaft and a coupling. There is a bit of wiring and soldering involved as well but I have incredibly basic skills and got it running ok. As always it is best to get a qualified sparky to check it out for you as there is mains power involved.

Post #14 made 8 years ago
Hi nosco and Contrarian,
Fantastic detailed replies I have taken notes and I'm sure a lot of other people on here will be very interested in what you have done.
Thank You
TT

Post #15 made 8 years ago
A bit of an update on my Mash Master Mini Mill. Theres a thread on AHB about the knurling on the MKII rollers getting dull. I got my mill in August 2014 and without experience didnt notice a problm at first. My last brew took 45 mins to crush 9kg of grain and that was with me pushing down the hopper with bit of 2x4. There was heaps of flour and the mash was dough ball city. Even with BIAB.

If you have been reading on AHB youll know the story. MM have brought out MkIII which has fluted rollers. I contacted them as a lot of other people have and received a replacement roller in the mail no questions asked. From all accounts its the ducks nuts even with only 1 fluted roller. Cant be happier with the customer service. Glad I paid a bit extra for the MM mill. It might take a bit of sanding to fit it in but I cant wait to try it out!

Return to “Australia & New Zealand”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 24 guests