Perth Royal Show 2014 - THE Tasting - Sat 25th Oct - 1pm

Post #1 made 9 years ago
[center]Royal Perth Beer Show - 2014[/center]

For us Amateurs, this event has become a great social event (more comments on the educational side later.) Basically, if you put in one beer ($20) you get two tickets to attend the tasting on Saturday 25th October (1pm to 4pm and then we kick on after). At the tasting you get to taste all the amateur and craft and commercial beers. It is great fun and no other beer comp does that!!!

As for judging for amateurs, this comp, every year is more and more ignoring amateurs. This year, I will only put in one beer as last year the resources allocated to amateurs was ridiculously low. Worse still, this year, they have offered a $1,000 prize but guess who it goes to? - "Best Commercial Beer of the Show". That is totally ridiculous. A $1,000 to a commercial brewery is nothing. The award itself is worth heaps.

Anyway, just make sure you pay for one beer entry by 5th August (was 29th August originally). Enter online here and maybe, don't even bother sending a beer in - I might even do that as a protest!

Not as bad as my good mate up the road who sent me an email when he heard about the thousand dollar prize to commercials, "I'll enter my fiver year old exploding stout."

:lol:

Regardless

Make sure you are there on the day and available after. It's a great day.

[center]Key Dates and Times[/center]

5 PM Friday 5th September - Paperwork Due. Can be done online here.

10 am - 4 pm Mon 13th or Tue 14th October - Entries Due at Showgrounds.

1pm to 4pm Saturday 25th October - Exhibitor's Tasting at Showgrounds :party: :drink: :party:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 13 Aug 2014, 19:18, edited 6 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 9 years ago
I actually think that the commercial / craft breweries should be putting up prizes for the amateur brewers. If you consider that people like us are more likely to promote the commercial/ craft breweries and spend money on expensive and unusual beers that the general Victoria bitter (or insert your local wife beater style beer here) loving consumer would never every consider buying.

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Too right Stu. You in again this year? :)

I better PM the usual suspects to let the m know of this thread.

;)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Nice work NME and Aces!
[center]PAPERWORKALMOST DUE EXTENDED UNTIL 05/09[/center]
Make sure you spam PM any WA'ers you know. I've done bundy and will do Lukas now but will leave the rest up to you.

Can't believe NME and ACES are so confident in putting in more than one beer. Remember your Mum's aren't on the judging panel again this year :nup:.

Last edited by PistolPatch on 27 Aug 2014, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Nice job Hippy ;)

Lukas sent me a text saying, "Sold", so I assume he is in.

Someone better get onto some of the new guys - majorphill, blu-afro etc. (I'll get a few others tomorrow ;)).

Post #11 made 9 years ago
Do you actually have to enter a beer to go to the tasting?

I'm happy to go drink beer :drink: but cant really be bothered submitting anything for judging.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #13 made 9 years ago
Thanks mate I'm locked in.

I might even throw in a rubbish beer thats been sitting in my garage for 8 months waiting to be tipped. Just to see if the judges think it's as bad as I do! :champ:

We don't have to drink our own entries do we? That might backfire on me in a big way :idiot:

Post #14 made 9 years ago
blu_afro wrote:Thanks for the reminder PP, dipping the toes in with one entry!
Great stuff blu :thumbs:. Can you make it to the tasting?

Sad news from majorphill - he is working on the Saturday :sad:.

Great news from sinkas - he is in :drink:
bundy wrote:We don't have to drink our own entries do we?

bundy is in but found entering a bit confusing as do I every year. I just entered then and it took me a while. I think it may have got even more confusing than last year thought I thought that would be impossible. But...

If you get mixed up, just push any button and email or ring them later. They will change your entry for you. (Well, they did for me last year but it looks like Cecilia isn't running the admin this year :dunno:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 28 Aug 2014, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post #17 made 9 years ago
Excellent!!! Remember to book the whole arvo/evening off :party: :drink: :party: .
If anyone missed the boat, they have extended entries for another week until the Friday 5th September.

Post #19 made 9 years ago
Nup, not just you mate. I have to get the magnifying glass out every time! I should have posted the key dates in the first post but I was drunk. I have just edited the first post with the following...

[center]Key Dates and Times[/center]

5 PM Friday 5th September - Paperwork Due. Can be done online here.

10 am - 4 pm Mon 13th or Tue 14th October - Entries Due at Showgrounds.

1pm to 4pm Saturday 25th October - Exhibitor's Tasting at Showgrounds :party: :drink: :party:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 02 Sep 2014, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post #21 made 9 years ago
Pretty much all the craft breweries enter and many of the major commercials as well. Have a scroll through here.

Pre-Tasting :drink: and Deliveries

Just thinking about the drop-off being on a Monday/Tuesday (first time ever). Maybe we could have a pre-tasting here and then go for a few beers in Freo? I could refrigerate the entries here and run them up to the Showgrounds on the Mon or Tue (after a bit of label swapping :)).

Post here if you're interested in that.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 03 Sep 2014, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post #23 made 9 years ago
Well the magic ticket to the Beer tasting has arrived. I guess I better get cracking on brewing something then...

Do you think they would notice if I peeled the labels off something nice and put my stickers on it?
I wonder how it would be judged????

:-)

Post #24 made 9 years ago
You idiot - lol!

I only realised to day that it was only 4 weeks away until submissions. Faaaarrrrkkkk! I'm only putting one beer in but it looks like I better brew it this weekend.

Btw, when NME said, "I'm hip," above, it means he is Rolf Harris's grandson unless he posts back with further info.

(In reality, I think he is up for the pre-tasting ;))

Post #25 made 9 years ago
Just changed the title of the thread to the next key date. Happy to change it to the Saturday. Any thoughts on not only the Sat/Sun but times? Should we make it the Saturday and maybe kick off at 3pm and then head into Freo once we've tasted the beers?

I actually have some of a few of your beers left from this time last year as I got a few extra :o.

Return to “Australia & New Zealand”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests