Post #76 made 11 years ago
It's personal taste I guess :P I'm more likely to sit down and have a few pints of the blonde personally!

I don't think I ever picked up my sheets from you last year. I didn't care enough :P I personally would just expect a bit more feedback for $20 a pop. My gold medal sheet has literally 10 words on it. Under Aroma is says "H.R. spot on for style" and I don't really know what that means!

Well I guess amateurs enter comps to get professional feedback and to see where they can improve. They have a lot a palate cleansers between beers and manage it all by style. They went through it at another session I went to during beer week.

I learnt heaps in the sensory training session. They basically had TEDs and added different stuff to different glasses so we could taste the difference. I think we went through 13 different faults including things like DMS and Light strike. It was definitely worth it. I don't know what they'd need to put another one on, but you could get in touch with Justin and see what he reckons.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #77 made 11 years ago
"H.R. spot on for style." lol! I also have no idea :scratch:. Hope you understood the otehr 50% of your feedback* :lol:

I don't think last year's sheets had much on them either. I wouldn't have thrown yours out though so can only imagine that they are buried here somewhere :). Think I read them out to you?

Didn't realise you actually made it to the sensory training - lucky bugger! I've missed two opportunities at this now. Would be great to get Justin's contact details if you have them.

Thanks mate ;),
PP

* Now I want to know what the other five words were :P.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #78 made 11 years ago
Yeah I think you did too, buggered if I remember what they said though :P

In Appearance it said "good" with a tick and Flavour and Body said "Clean well balanced pallet", then ticks everywhere else.

Post #80 made 11 years ago
Tomorrow, Saturday 02/03/13, there is a, 'Meet the Maker' thing on at the Norfolk Hotel in Fremantle. I don't have many details* on it but apparently the Three Pines brewers will be there.

NME will be down there from 2pm. I've got something on but am going to try and get there as well.

My first job on arriving in WA was at the Norfolk. Back then we used to call it the, 'Norfolk and Worries.'

:)
PP

* If anyone knows any more details can they post them?
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #81 made 11 years ago
I'll try to make it

http://craftypint.com/events/event/meet ... olk-hotel/

Thanks to Labour Day, residents in Western Australia get a long weekend to kick off the month of March.

And what better way to start that long weekend than by heading to Fremantle’s Norfolk Hotel where the crew from 4 Pines will be firing up the BBQ and sharing a few of their beers, including the Hallertau Mittlefruh from the recently released Keller Door Single Hop Series.

This is an afternoon affair with the first snags due to hit the grill at 2pm and dished out for free thereafter.

Post #82 made 11 years ago
damn PP, I knew I should have rung you back last night. Hope you're having a great day, we've got a sydney friend over so we've been to the swan valley and Ive made her taste the feral hop hog :thumbs:

Post #83 made 11 years ago
I never got there :P. Was getting a lift with Case but had to wait until his baby woke up. Still asleep at 4:30pm. Think he must have given her a sleeping pill :interesting:. NME said it was pretty good though.

Thanks for the link Steve and sorry to miss you :sad:.

Post #84 made 11 years ago
It was pretty good! Well worth the journey to Freo. The 4 Pines guys are pretty awesome and I love their beer.

Post #85 made 11 years ago
yes sorry to PP for baby sleeping through beer event,
guys should look the hell out for LC sheperds Delight red IPA, out now in bottles,
    • MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Estonia

Post #86 made 11 years ago
sinkas, myself and a few other troops are going for a little pub crawl in...

Fremantle 29th June at 7pm - Starting at the Norfolk.

Seems like a late start to me, maybe we can move it up a bit?

Let us know if you want to join us.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 18 Jun 2013, 19:15, edited 10 times in total.

Post #89 made 10 years ago
NME, I think you are just having the same problem as I am. I have never gone to a home brew event that started at 7pm. :o

Usually 7pm, well, maybe a bit later, is the time I start looking for a taxi or narrowly avoid being run over by one.

I think we should start a bit earlier so as we don't get caught in the woeful Freo taxi queue :roll:.

In at 5 and out by 11 I reckon ;). Happy to have beers here before 7 though if needs be. Sinkas doesn't mind starting a bit earlier either.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 27 Jun 2013, 22:20, edited 10 times in total.

Post #90 made 10 years ago
Just a heads up for the Aussies and especially the West Aussies, The Perth Royal beer show 2013 has announced the dates of entries and Exhibition tasting.

Perth Royal beer Show is a combined Commercial and Amateur beer competition open to all , not just Western Australians.

A copy of the Schedule and entry form can be down loaded and printed from http://www.perthroyalshow.com.au/best-i ... tries.aspx

Entries close 4:30 pm 6 September.This is NOT the date for delivery of beer entries.

Delivery of entries Exhibits will be received from 10:00am to 4:00pm October 23-24th 2013.

Commercial entries: Victorian, New South Wales and South Australian competitors can have their beers transported for free to the PRBS complimentary of SCT logistics.

Judging : will be over two days : 28-29th October.

Presentations : Friday 1st November from 6:30 pm at the Parmelia Hilton, Perth. Invitations will be sent out after Close of entries.

Exhibitors and Trade tasting: Saturday 2 November 2013 2-4pm at Claremont Showground. This is the fun part, 2 hours of tasting all the beers that were entered at the show. If you enter a beer you get 2 tickets to the tasting afternoon
Last edited by Aces high on 12 Aug 2013, 21:13, edited 10 times in total.

Post #92 made 10 years ago
lukasfab wrote:hi mate been a while, you entering this year?
Gday Lukas, yep im entering this year. Im brewing a Cascadian dark ale/black IPA right now although looking at the AABC guidelines Im not sure exactly what catagory it would go in (american IPA i guess). Any ideas?

http://www.aabc.org.au/docs/AABC2013StyleGuidelines.pdf

I might also might throw a couple of other beers just to see how they go.

What about you, gonna have another crack this year?
Last edited by Aces high on 13 Aug 2013, 17:21, edited 10 times in total.

Post #93 made 10 years ago
Are you shitting me?! The 2nd?! I'll be away :(

I'm devastated! Not sure if it's worth entering if I can't be at the tasting :P

Post #94 made 10 years ago
Aces high wrote: Im brewing a Cascadian dark ale/black IPA right now although looking at the AABC guidelines Im not sure exactly what catagory it would go in (american IPA i guess). Any ideas?

Git this bad boy in 18.7 to create "sufficient interest so this minor style might be promoted to a full style in the future" git-er-done.

Nice article; http://byo.com/stories/item/2013-birth-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... n-dark-ale

Maybe it was John Maier of Rogue Brewing in Newport, Oregon who made it popular, when he made Skull Splitter, a black interpretation of his Brutal Bitter strong IPA, in 2003?

Good Luck !!! :luck:
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 14 Aug 2013, 06:13, edited 10 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #95 made 10 years ago
Aces high wrote:
lukasfab wrote:hi mate been a while, you entering this year?
Gday Lukas, yep im entering this year. Im brewing a Cascadian dark ale/black IPA right now although looking at the AABC guidelines Im not sure exactly what catagory it would go in (american IPA i guess). Any ideas?

I might also might throw a couple of other beers just to see how they go.

What about you, gonna have another crack this year?

dont ask me about styles mate :nup: I just brew beer :lol:

haven't brewed for about 4 months as I have been flat out with the new house.
I did sneak one in on Saturday though, was up till 3am.
amarillo, chinook, centennial IPA. first IPA so will see how it goes, smelling good so far and if
it turns out I will enter one of these but yeah would like to put something in to make up for
last years crap I entered ( well only put it in for the tickets )

should catch up for a beer mate!
Last edited by lukasfab on 14 Aug 2013, 08:24, edited 10 times in total.

Post #96 made 10 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Aces high wrote: Im brewing a Cascadian dark ale/black IPA right now although looking at the AABC guidelines Im not sure exactly what catagory it would go in (american IPA i guess). Any ideas?

Git this bad boy in 18.7 to create "sufficient interest so this minor style might be promoted to a full style in the future" git-er-done.

Nice article; http://byo.com/stories/item/2013-birth-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... n-dark-ale

Maybe it was John Maier of Rogue Brewing in Newport, Oregon who made it popular, when he made Skull Splitter, a black interpretation of his Brutal Bitter strong IPA, in 2003?

Good Luck !!! :luck:

Thanks for the history lesson Mad Scientist, so I guess my beer is an AIBA so it probably has to go into the specialty catagory. Might have more chance of winning if theres nothing else like it in my class :champ: :champ:

The beer im making fits into the GABF guidelines
Color = 25+ SRM
Original Gravity = 1.056–1.075
Final Gravity = 1.012–1.018
Bitterness = 50–70 IBU
Alcohol by volume = 6–7.5%
Last edited by Aces high on 14 Aug 2013, 11:11, edited 10 times in total.

Post #97 made 10 years ago
Thanks for the heads up Stu ;). You going to Nev's on Saturday? If so, tell lukas to pick me up :lol:.
NME wrote:Are you shitting me?! The 2nd?! I'll be away :(

Simo, just cancel the other thing :). It's compulsory for you to attend this.

I have your paperwork here btw. Only check my mailbox occasionally but the envelopes weren't too wet so I assume they must have arrived fairly recently :lol:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 14 Aug 2013, 19:52, edited 10 times in total.

Post #98 made 10 years ago
Cannot cancel :( Been booked in since last November and paid me $300 entry or whatever it is. It's a team event so I'd be letting too many people down :(

Post #99 made 10 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Thanks for the heads up Stu ;). You going to Nev's on Saturday? If so, tell lukas to pick me up :lol:.
NME wrote:Are you shitting me?! The 2nd?! I'll be away :(

Simo, just cancel the other thing :). It's compulsory for you to attend this.

I have your paperwork here btw. Only check my mailbox occasionally but the envelopes weren't too wet so I assume they must have arrived fairly recently :lol:.
No, I can't make Nev's on Saturday, the missus had organized a lunch thing with friends ages ago. We'll be up the breakwater watching the rain come in.

We're overdue for a beer though
Last edited by Aces high on 14 Aug 2013, 21:59, edited 10 times in total.

Return to “Australia & New Zealand”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 17 guests