Perth Brew Day 9th June - High Gravity Sparge/Chill War :)

Post #1 made 12 years ago
AcesHigh and myself have been wanting to get together for a brew day for some time now. I've also been promising for about two years to have an open one so this is well overdue.

On June 9th, we'll do two double batches of the same recipe side by side.

We'll probably start drinking around midday but I might mash in a bit earlier so we don't end up chilling in the dark. We can work that out later ;).

If you'd like to come along and meet some fellow brewers from Perth, let us know in this thread. There's about 7 beers here to try atm however brew days are a great opportunity to bring along your own beers so as you can get some feedback. (Bring your thermometers too for comparison :)).

I'll make sure there's some brew food like sausages, bread etc but if you want to bring some other nibblies, go for it.

Look forward to seeing some new faces,
PP

What We'll Brew

We want to test two things. Sparging versus full-volume and chill versus no-chill. I've done some tests on these already however with these brews we'll mash them at very high gravities. We'll then dilute them before the boil back down to normal gravities.

We'll probably brew NRB's All Amarillo Ale as it's a recipe I know well. In a few months time, we'll organise another meet to taste the results :drink:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 24 May 2012, 17:38, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 12 years ago
i would like to be there but Google just told me it's only 11082.28 KM away.
so i'll have to take a rain check. :)
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #3 made 12 years ago
So you're saying you'll fly from Israel to meet BobBrew's at some silly little brewing conference in America but are too lazy to come here? I am very disappointed in you shib :angry:.

I was hoping to have the brew day when you are in America with Bob so we could have a skype but it's too far away, in time that is, unfortunately :sad:.

Here's some trivia for you. If you dig a hole between any two brewers on earth, whether it be a brewer who lives in the next town or whether it be you and me shib, and then jump into that hole that contains a perfect vacuum, you'll arrive at the other brewers place in 42 minutes.

See you soon ;),
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 24 May 2012, 19:43, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #5 made 12 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:So you're saying you'll fly from Israel to meet BobBrew's at some silly little brewing conference in America but are too lazy to come here? I am very disappointed in you shib :angry:.
See you soon ;),
PP
:peace:
Last edited by shibolet on 24 May 2012, 20:01, edited 3 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #6 made 12 years ago
Just on my way to shib's :P but will be great to see you there pHman :salute:. You can tell me how to work my new fandangled pH meter :lol:.

No need to bring raincoat, I have new O-rings in my chillers :thumbs:.

The fridge is another story. Not sure if I'll have time to get the old manifold up and running before then. This might be a good thing (for me anyway) eh?.

:lol:

Post #7 made 12 years ago
PP,
Shib and were planing on attending but you are brewing to early in the day for us. If you postpone your brew to later in in the afternoon we might make it. Better yet just sit around and wait for us to get there!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 12 years ago
You're 11 hours behind so if you have your bacon and egg beer at 7am, your time, then we can skype at 6pm our time. Perfect!

Wear something nice Bob.

(Shib's only 5 hours behind so he can join us over lunch :drink:.)

Post #9 made 12 years ago
Damn, spent half the night trying to get my computer to connect to the internet, but Im back. I'll be there, I'll probably bring a keg of ale for tasting, if i can keep the usual locals away from my fridge

Post #13 made 12 years ago
He's the sensible Pat. We'll see how sensible he is at the end of the brew day though eh? :)

I've been a bit slack in keeping the WA thread up to date. I'll see if I can update it during the week, put a link to this thread and see if we can get a few new faces along. There's some old ones coming but not all these are BIAB brewers.

PP

Post #14 made 12 years ago
Not making any promises, but I may be in the area. If I happen to be not working also, I may be able to drop in and say hi.
Then again, I may be there and working or I may not even make it out of SA.
Will let you know if I am able to make it closer to the day. It would be good to meet some of you and put faces to names :)

HC
Part of the NoAd brewers

My mum says I'm cool.

Post #19 made 12 years ago
What time are you arriving Lylo? Pics for sure. We'll get everyone on the way out though ;).

I have to go out now (and every night this week) so can you liven up the WA brewers here for me? Tell them some lies like how you'll be there etc, okay?

:)
Last edited by PistolPatch on 29 May 2012, 16:17, edited 3 times in total.

Post #21 made 12 years ago
Hippy wrote:Would have been keen to come along and meet some local fellow BIABers PP but I can't get there this week. SWMBO has me on a tight schedule this weekend :angry:

I believe its next weekend, the 9th

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1492
Last edited by stevem01 on 31 May 2012, 10:49, edited 3 times in total.

Post #23 made 12 years ago
Yeah I'm sorry but I can't make it either as I'm moving house :sad:

But I wish you luck! My first BIAB was NRB's All Amarillo pale ale and that keg did not last long at all!

Post #24 made 12 years ago
No worries Snow. Just make sure you make it to the ROyal Perth Beer Show tasting - that's always fun :lol:.

Aces has a recipe for Hop Hog and is going to bring some down for us to drink :yum: so I'm leaning towards brewing that now.

Hippy's going to drop in if he can but won't know until the day. I'll let you know who's coming a bit later.

Post #25 made 12 years ago
This might end up being a smaller brew day than ones in the past which might even be a good thing as there'll be a bit of mucking around on the brewing side of things with all this experimenting :roll:.

Anyway, if you are happyt to come along and see a very complicated brew day and put up with a distracted host, then feel free to join us. Some of the less distracted people will be (I think)...

Aces High
phMan (Nev from Gryphon Brewing)
Pat
NME
Case
Doogie (assuming leave pass granted)
Hippy (maybe)
Housecat (if he can get here from Bullsbrook :dunno:)
uneekwahn (who is bringing home-made pizzas, good on him)
skippy
Dan (almost definite - past head brewer at Mash brewing) and Mrs Dan
Probably another 3 couples and a few others but I have only just contacted them as it's been a busy week.

Now to try and find (again) a small gas leak in my kegs :smoke:.

CO2 cylinders welcome :lol:

Return to “Australia & New Zealand”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 28 guests