Post #26 made 13 years ago
All sorted, good work guys! :smoke:

Probably doesn't help that my monitor is wider than many cars. The price I paid for bringing VPN work home, I was happy with my 17" to be honest, but then thought what the heck, why not...
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #27 made 13 years ago
In the bunch of "view post" methods (top left corner of BIABrewer) there is an option to view all unread posts since last visit (CHECK) but then can there be a button that marks all posts as read, if you want them to be (without having to actually read them)

This is how I like to use the forums (such as AHB)
I'm not saying be like AHB, but I find that feature really handy to find the recent topics that I am interested in, and when i'm done, clear the list so that next time I visit again, its a new fresh list of updated topics.

Kinda customises it for me :)

Post #28 made 13 years ago
I'm not sure about this JD??? Beside "View Unread Posts," is, "View New Posts."

Does this solve the problem?

If it does then don't be worried as there is stuff us admin guys are discovering each week here :). If not, let us know and we'll pass it on to the higher authorities ;)

Pat
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #29 made 13 years ago
Nah - "view new posts' isnt cutting it.
There's still a topic from two days ago, even though I visited the site yesterday.

It needs a button to "clear" what the site remembers to keep for you.
So I can do this manually. So I can use it like this:
- visit babbers.info
- go to list of posts since my last visit
- open (in new tab) all the topics that may interest me
- clear the list so next time I visit, It is a new list
- learn about Babbing!

Post #33 made 13 years ago
Frappe??? don't you speak english??? ;)

I think a language converter would be great as well, we have a rich diversity of members here and they are surely not oall english speaking (first language).

I'll have a quick look around and see if I can find anything. If I do I'll post up a link for the admin.

Ok I found a phpbb converter, but I have no idea if it is any good. Here is the link.
Last edited by hashie on 10 Jan 2011, 14:48, edited 40 times in total.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #34 made 13 years ago
Two If By Sea wrote:Is there a way to get a direct link to a post? Not the thread with the post in question on top, but straight to the post only? Just a thought.
Redlegger brought this question up many months ago and we have failed to write an Important Notice on it as we were busy sorting out forum birthing problems at the time sorry.

See the red arrow in the picture below? Clicking on that little icon will take you to the last post of that thread.
Last Post.JPG.png
Good question 2XC and we'll see if we can make this answer a bit easier to find. Please keep asking them. Simple answers like this are hard to find but make using the forum a lot easier for everyone.

Thanks,
Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pat on 11 Jan 2011, 19:46, edited 40 times in total.

Post #37 made 13 years ago
If your trying to link to a certain post in a different forum etc, then I think you right click the post # (eg #36) ) and copy shortcut I think. (Unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't test it) then paste it into your new post.
I hope this makes sense and it's what your looking for, if not we'll have to keep trying :lol:
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Post #38 made 13 years ago
Testing wiz's idea, link

Edit; yep that works. Right click the post # copy link location and use that as the url.
Last edited by hashie on 12 Jan 2011, 13:16, edited 40 times in total.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #39 made 13 years ago
Uh, exactly what I said (right click and copy any link anywhere does that, click the number and it brings that post up to the top of your window and creates a link with the number at the end, nothing out of the ordinary here). But not what I was thinking of. Sometimes there are posts that just deserve to stand alone. On other boards clicking that number pulls up just that post and not any others.
Blog: http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/
Facebook BIAB Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 978&ref=nf

Post #40 made 13 years ago
Sorry never heard of that, not that I have great experience with forums :dunno:
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

Post #43 made 13 years ago
Two If By Sea wrote:Is there a way to get a direct link to a post? Not the thread with the post in question on top, but straight to the post only? Just a thought.
If you see a post, it says "Posted" and the date... to the left of "Posted" is a document icon, that is a link to the actual post, so if you right-click the lil document icon and copy the link, that will get you a link to that specific post

On this post, it says

"Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:38 pm"

And the little icon has the link

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?p=6050#p6050
Last edited by stux on 21 Jan 2011, 19:38, edited 40 times in total.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #45 made 13 years ago
Ahhhh, I get it now. Hopefully one of the site admins will understand it too and be able to let you know wether it can/will be done.
[/center]

Post #46 made 13 years ago
I've always found it odd that so many recipes neglect fermentation details (posted on forums, in blogs, in homebrew software, even in books). Depending on the beer and yeast used, these details can make all the difference. I know I have my own procedures and may or may not follow something in a recipe, but I'd at least get a clue on what the recipe creator was after and I could make up my own plan. I'd like to suggest another tab on the recipe calculator for the fermentation information. Some things to put on it:
  • Yeast Strain
  • Starter? (yes or no)
  • Starter size
  • Pitch temperature
  • Primary fermentation temperature
  • Primary fermentation length of time
  • Secondary? (yes or no)
  • Secondary temperature (if secondary)
  • Secondary length of time
  • Diacetyl rest? (yes or no)
  • Diacetyl rest temperature
  • Diacetyl rest length of time
I know, I know, I haven't used the calculator but that is because it is in Metric and I haven't gotten up the gumption to convert it over yet...someday.
Last edited by Two If By Sea on 24 Jan 2011, 23:24, edited 40 times in total.

Post #47 made 13 years ago
And another idea for the calculator. A summary tab to make it easy to copy and paste into a post. Like what TH's water adjustment spreadsheet had. It takes the important values for the post like grain bill and hops, and puts it right on this tab so you just select it all, copy and paste into a post so everyone's looks the same. It would similar to PPs "overview" on this post: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=381#p3175

or is that there and I am missing it....

Post #48 made 13 years ago
How many of you "old hands" are close to each other (you know who I am talking about, right PP et al)? I think it would be great to get a bunch of you together on an interview on Basic Brewing Radio (or other) podcast. The few podcasts out there that have covered BIAB don't do it much justice and you guys know your stuff. A good podcast to interest people and draw them to this forum can only improve things around here. You can talk about this forum, the calculator, the method, maxi (or whatever it ends up being), mini (or whatever it ends up being), additional steps sometimes used like sparging, and other 3V processes brought over to BIAB. Basic Brewing James is a good guy and I'm sure he'd listen to a good pitch for a show. I mean he had us on for a partigyle show and we are a buncha dorks. ;) Besides, I think it would be a fun episode with some of you guys on it.

Post #49 made 13 years ago
I think the real point of 2XC's post was he was looking for a way to link to a post and have it be the only post on the page.

I thought you might be able to do this by setting the posts per page value to 1, but didn't know if you can do that in the url
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #50 made 13 years ago
[EDNOTE: Most of the following was written two days ago so please excuse me deleting my prior post here and replacing it with this. There is only a small amount of repetition.]

Firstly, thanks very much to the guys posting here who have tried to answer Two If By Sea's 'unique post' question.

Secondly, sorry Two If By Sea for the tardy response from us admin guys. NME, who hosts and maintains the back end of the forum, at no charge to us, has started a new job and so has very little spare time at the moment.

I also see that I totally misread your question on providing a unique link to a thread :roll:. Sorry about that and thanks to yourself, wizard78, hashie and stux for getting close to the answer you are seeking. I now see what you want.
Two If By Sea wrote:The link would open ONLY the post in question, the posts above or below it would not show.
Can you post a link or example to a forum that does this? Doing this would help NME and I personally have never seen this before but would love to. (Thanks for your suggestion stux. I'll pass it onto admin.)

As to your other suggestions...
Two If By Sea wrote:I've always found it odd that so many recipes neglect fermentation details... I'd like to suggest another tab on the recipe calculator for the fermentation information...
I think this idea is excellent as is your next one...
Two If By Sea wrote:And another idea for the calculator. A summary tab to make it easy to copy and paste into a post...
Making this a reality though might take a few dedicated members. Atm we are running well behind on some very basic front end changes which are quite complicated to implement software-wise. Your next suggestion would also require some dedicated members to make sure this 'project' does actually happen....
Two If By Sea wrote:I think some of the guys here would be able to provide a great podcast on something like, "Basic Brewing Radio." The few podcasts out there that have covered BIAB have not been of high quality.
(Please excuse my edit of your quote.) This suggestion is also very important. Poor quality information spreads as quickly as quality information unfortunately. A poor speaking voice also does not do a subject any favours on any type of radio. BIABrewer.info would not like to be responsible for a podcast that puts brewers to sleep while they are driving :lol:. People suggestions such as you have made, Two If By Sea, help a lot in helping us identify who might be appropriate, "speakers," as would your existing contact with James.

So, what we really need are some very enthusiastic members of high stamina who can make things, such as the above, happen. We think the site has such people and have been spending a fair bit of time thinking on ways in which we can facilitate this. We are getting close to a formula that should work and will write an 'Important Notice' on it within the next few days.

So, if you are game enough to become a Project Manager or Volunteer on BIABrewer.info keep your eye out for the upcoming Important Notice ;).

As always, many thanks,
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 27 Jan 2011, 17:42, edited 40 times in total.

Return to “Your Feedback”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 28 guests