Post #26 made 8 years ago
What a great forum! I became interested in home brewing years ago but never acted on it, but now that I'm nearing my dotage, I'm able find some time to indulge in a new hobby. I found this site through trial and error, and I'm glad I did. The Biabicus is a work of art, the responses to my queries are quick and insightful, the knowledge so many hold and are willing to share is truly impressive. Since I don't yet have the knowledge or experience gained from my own trial and error brewing, there are three ways I will contribute: 1st, a monetary contribution as funds allow, 2nd, I'll be evangelizing to those who will lend an ear, and 3rd, as PP has suggested, welcoming new members. Beyond that, I'll continue to soak up knowledge from the forum, and be grateful for every bit of information that falls my way.

Thanks to all, and may 2016 bring you all joy and wisdom.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #27 made 8 years ago
There's knowledge that you probably can impart to newcomers right now Streamer. One is cleaning and sanitising is so important! Also fermentation temps :-) These are simple pieces of advice that you find out early on in your brewing journey that are crucial (hopefully not from a ruined batch).
Cheers

Post #28 made 8 years ago
Hi New Year greetings to everyone,
I would like to thank all members of this site past and present for all the help and information I have spent hours over the last couple of years pouring over it.
Last year was a great brewing year for me most of the time getting a brew going every second week mainly simple basic brews very tasty though I did a Pumpkin Ale with 22kg of my own homegrown and a Rhubarb Ale homegrown again (Which when I've tasted to see if its ok will post the photos recipe etc of Brew day).
Low point stabbing myself in the wrist with a stanley knife whilst modifying a 20 litre nappy bucket as part of a grain mill (Ouch)
To the high point getting a lot of kudos from people i respect for my homegrown over the top Green Bullet pale ale.
Probably done my last brew of 2016 for awhile as the house is going on the market very soon hopefully it will sell quickly and service will resume as normal.
I'm not all that technical , never keep complete notes ,never fully complete the Biabacus and if people tell me not to do it I have a bad habit of trying it or chucking it in anyway Lol.
Never had an undrinkable brew yet (Time heals most things) though some have been a lot better than others.
If I could possibly be of any help with anything I would be quite willing to lend a hand.
(Cue Battle Of Britain music)
Tally Ho
Regards
TT
[center]i ting tong![/center]
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From New Zealand

Post #30 made 8 years ago
dom wrote:Make sure you get at least a double garage in your new house for your mancave/brew house TT. It was number 1 on my list :-)
Hi Dom
Oamaru and surrounding area pretty good deals on house and land prices I already had a four bay pole barn with workshop,
But with no more missus to interfere ( and lot less cash to play with LOL)
My next Mancave will be awesome,
Might head for them hills with the snowy bits

TT
Last edited by tingtong on 05 Jan 2016, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post #31 made 8 years ago
Maybe you can ask Renae's husband Bruce for a few tips? Here's his house and man cave. (And yes, the house is the white building not the green one :)).
Sqyre's Shed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 05 Jan 2016, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #32 made 8 years ago
That is most awesome ..
Might be a little bit pushed to compete with that,
But now you mention it i can see where my priorities need to be focused LOL
TT

Post #33 made 8 years ago
Happy New Year all! I havnt been around for awhile due to lack of time but I am still brewing and have done a few upgrades (mill and 98lt SS pot :smoke: ) to the brewery which should be up and running soon. Its safe to say I'm obsessed with beer and brewing. I am very grateful to Pat and the others who have helped me on this site. Although I have been brewing for 2 years I still feel like a noob but my beers are getting better every brew. As many of the old timers give better advice than me Ill try and contribute in other ways where i can.

Cheers.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #34 made 8 years ago
Happy New Year All...

Personally I had a bad 2014 year with very bad sciatic nerve pain 24/7 and during this period I gave family support to my Mom and Dad, and what ended up being my Dad's last 4 months of his life. :sad:

2015 brought relief from sciatica early in the year. In April, my CIO decided to move me into another department were I was needed more. :angry: , and this is where I now sit, in a help desk environment. :crumb:

I am very grateful for family support... and very grateful for the home brew hobby and this forum, of which I am happy to contribute.

I now listen to my Dad's Doris Day CD's in the morning during workout on bicycle (on bicycle trainer) to lose weight and be more fit. Taking it "Day By Day".

Cheers

MS - old timer :drink:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #35 made 8 years ago
Happy New Year to everyone. Sorry I was not on as much help as I usually try to be last year. As I told Pat , my wife had many seizures and was in and out of the hospital most of last year. She is finally starting to feel better so I should be able to get on more regularly and help the new ones . Trust me.... I have missed the banter as it helped me keep my sanity.

J

All the best for 2016.

Post #36 made 8 years ago
Happy new year! I don't get on here all the time but have learnt a lot over the past few years of brewing for this site and try to pass that on to new Brewers in a way that gives them good information without being overwhelming or over complicating things. Probably with varying degrees of success as I would describe my personal brewing style as fairly loose.

Looking forward to seeing the new site and think that 2016 is going to be a great year across the board!

Happy brewing!

Post #37 made 8 years ago
Hey Guys, :salute:

I haven't been brewing as much. I haven't been drinking any less? I have been making cider and wine along with beer. I have made a Mead or two and even a sour mead? (don't try it!) I waited a year for something weird! I have not been on the site much. Just keeping Cheesestradamus for brewers updated.

I found that this site became a job for me. I am pushing 70 years and have other fish to fry. In years past the first thing I did every morning is answer questions. My answers were short, concise and mostly inaccurate? I taught my children (and grand children) to think for themselves. Remember the old adage. "Give a man a few beers and he drinks for a day. Teach him how to brew beer, and he will waste a lifetime." Well, something like that?

Anyway. I was bothered by new brewers who were asking the same questions that are already answered 100 times on this site. To damn lazy to look for answers. Use your own brain for once! Here, or on the internet in general. I give credit to those of you that have more patience than me. If you haven't noticed? As you get older you have less patience and less tolerance for adults who don't think or work. I have people give me a instruction book and some new tech smart phone and say "set it up for me. Tell me how to work it. It's easier for you." So they expect me to learn how to use their phone (which I will never use) and teach them all the bits and bobs about it! Think for yourself, your brain will not explode! (maybe it would be better for all of us if it did?)

I still go to my beer club once a month. Next month is the Polar Brew on Sunset lake (frozen hard and cold) I expect to record it per usual. I am brewing and entering beers in competitions. I am again planning to go to the National Homebrewers Conference (NHC) in Baltimore this year. I will still do a few podcasts with Basic Brew Radio (if I get my head out of my ass and actually do something?)

I found that being sober is overrated. I tried it once a couple of months ago when I was dieting. DON"T DO IT! People expect you to do it again? It's not worth the headaches that come with sobering up! Maybe that is part of my problem? Since I have beer, wine or cider for breakfast every morning (on a empty stomach). Finishing my day with a cocktail or two each night? I have a hole in my day and need to have some sort of booze mid-day? Problems solved. It helps to write it all out sometimes?

I may be lurking around in the background so keep your answers concise and correct. It's -12 Fahrenheit outside and the dog wants to go out so I have to wrap up and take her out! Have fun brewing! I may be back more?

BobBrews :peace:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #39 made 8 years ago
Todd. (you old fart)

So are you going to the NHC in Baltimore in June? I expect to be there. You are buying the first drink!
I will stay on your lawn until until replaced by a pink Flamingo.

Bob
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #41 made 8 years ago
Always interesting things to read. At my local home brew club (LHBC), the January meeting had several new faces (good) along with their beers (perhaps not as good). The optimist in me says they will get better over time especially with some guidance at our meetings that they might choose to incorporate. Then they will bring better, even great beers. The pessimist in me says they will ask the same questions and make many of the same dumb mistakes we make (I made or continue to make) as we go through the various stages of learning to brew. When do I become jaded and tire of the same old questions they should Google or search this forum for in search of answers? Not yet. The old-timers at the LHBC are still kind to me. True, others have not renewed their membership and have faded/ridden off into the sunset. That sounds to me exactly like what’s happening here. Newcomers should feel OK about welcoming other newcomers; early and late-stage intermediate brewers should give their best shot at answering questions; and those wise old guys who really know their stuff can do those things and generally keep herding the cats in the same direction and make corrections or open our eyes to better ways. They also add fun with stories of massive arms (BB) and personalities (Skink), brewing on the road (Old Goat), etc.
The subject will outlive the current players. Chip in and keep brewing as long as it is fun.
I finally got one other LHBC member to commit to BIAB, hooray!

Post #44 made 8 years ago
MS, those are White Birds, of the Crane Family, that are feed a massive amount of Raw/Cooked Shrimp, that turns them Pink.

I lived On the Merritt Island of East Florida, near Cape Canaveral.

Every year, when the Shrimp Ran, those Birds would Become Pink, then Faded for the rest of the Year.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

All the best for 2016.

Post #45 made 8 years ago
I think it depends on how you see an Internet forum. Is it a collection of reference material that people should passively absorb or is it a community of like minded people who are coming together to discuss common interests. From my perspective it is the latter. I pitch in here when I can but certainly don't feel obliged to answer every question that is asked or comment on every thread.

I am also aware that by asking questions on forums and meeting and discussing brewing with more experienced Brewers that I have managed to learn a lot and also pass some of that info into others who I have inducted into BIAB. Without people sharing their time and knowledge it can be a hard process to jump into.

It shouldn't be the responsibility of any individual to answer every question but the responsibility of a community of Brewers who want to help other people get a start and continually improve a wonderful hobby.

Post #46 made 8 years ago
Off-Topic
BobBrews wrote:Since I have beer, wine or cider for breakfast every morning...
This is true. One of the great things about Bob, although we are in opposite time zones, we can always rely on each other for a drunken Skype :) [/quote]
BobBrews wrote:If you haven't noticed? As you get older you have less patience and less tolerance...
What a grumpy old man :lol:.
Grumpy Old Bob.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 19 Jan 2016, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #47 made 8 years ago
PistolPatch,

Ha Ha Ha! There is a resemblance between Jack Lemmon and myself? I never noticed that before. Actually the movie Grumpy Old Men is a perfect example of the life we live in Wisconsin. If you ever watch the movie it is a blast. The movie takes place in Minnesota the state we border on but everything else is the same.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107050/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Bob-Lemon.jpg
Last edited by BobBrews on 20 Jan 2016, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #48 made 8 years ago
[MOD EDIT: corrected website address]

A bit late replying but I would also like to wish you Pat, and all other members at BIABrewer.info the best for 2016.

BIABrewer.info has been a source of great knowledge to me since starting BIAB brewing and is in a big way responsible for me now producing consistent and delightful beers. I find you always get sensible and knowledgeable answers to queries relating to BIAB brewing from members only to happy to help.

I gladly donate to BIABrewer.info as I believe to keep a site as complex as this going it needs financial assistance.
I urge all members who receive assistance from this site to consider what value BIABrewer.info means to them and make a donation to help with it's survival.

Great work Pat and the gang, looking forward to 2016 and what it brings. :thumbs:
Last edited by alanem on 22 Jan 2016, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
I used to spill more than I drink these days!

Post #49 made 8 years ago
Hey Y'all,

I meant to reply much earlier but...I forgot :headhit:

Anyway, still making the most of the info in this site, which has really helped me to make some great beer. So thank you all very much!

(Pat: Just as a reminder, I create web sites for a living so let me know if you need help.)

Steve

Latest brew: Dr Smurto's Golden Ale
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #50 made 8 years ago
Judging by the post dates, this thread passed by months ago.

I don't brew as much as I want but when I do I always use BIABacus. If I am looking for some information I still visit the site but to be honest that has been infrequently of late.

I came to the site today looking for info on how to use BIABacus with BYO Magazine recipes as they don't give you the VAW only the VIB and I was wondering how to input them into BIABacus with only that figure. (Bob I was looking for the info first before being lazy honest!) I had almost found what I wanted but got sidetracked when I saw I had a message, then I realised I had read it before but never acted on it. (probably drinking at the time).

Anyhow I haven't bothered with any other site much or any other brewing program as I find BIABacus and this site fabulous for what I need and that is basically scaling someone else's recipe. I haven't tried any of my own yet but might give that a go in the future and would like to come back to this site or a newer version for information when I do.

I recognise the effort others have put in for my benefit and the info and great program I have gotten from this site.

For the above reasons I am happy to contribute $'s to the site/program and will be happy to renew my donation when it's due, assuming a 12 month period. But judging by other comments I am guessing it might not be that organised so I will renew in the future.

I am not sure I would be a very reliable contributor but would be willing to help from time to time if you felt an unreliable and very poor novice brewer could be of assistance.

Cheers and good brewing luck to you all.

Return to “Your Feedback”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests