All the best for 2015

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Traditionally, at about this time of year, I thank the membership for their various contributions throughout the past year or longer. I will do that in a much later post. At this time, I also write some hopes I have on what might pass in the following year.

This year I'd like to break that tradition and, instead, hear from you first.

Whether you have never posted here before (use this thread) or post regularly, let me know your thoughts or ideas on one or more of the following...

1. What do we do well?
2. Who/m does it well? (Who/m has made a difference to you?).
3. What do you want in 2015. (e.g. A programmed BIABacus and/or nicely written help for it or something else?)
4. What do you think is the best way to find the resources (people and funds) to make 3 above happen?
5. What can you do in 2015?

Your answering just one question above well would be massively appreciated so please jump in.

Best beers,
BB
Last edited by BIABrewer on 29 Dec 2014, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
>answering just one question above well would be massively appreciated

I'm glad that is the case. I am not experienced enough or knowledgeable enough to answer all 5.

I think these 2 things fall under 3 and 4 above.

First, what I find most at biabrewer is a pretty full set of agreed upon BEST PRACTICES. But often you have to hunt for them to actually find them .. so you may find a nugget of Best Info on a mash out in one place on one day, and then uncover something on hop stands in another place on another day. I think a section dedicated to Best Practices (as we understand them today) would be helpful. An important part of this (in my opinion) is to acknowledge (with no scorn nor derision) that people are doing other things that may bear fruit in the long run. Example - I think it is agreed that a 90 minute mash is a best practice - and I think we know why. Others are experimenting with finer crush and shorter times, but we still consider 90 at this time to be the best practice.

Second, and this may be based on my recent obsessive reading, I think the day is coming when kitchens around the world will have a brew station just like we now have food processors and microwave ovens. I think EBIAB is the next big thing in brewing and I think we should explore every aspect of it in a subsection dedicated to EBIAB. Clearly Blichmann is out ahead on this with the Braumeister in various sizes, but that is a pricy way to go and not suited to every kitchen. So I predict that there will be systems as small as 2 and 3 gallons - many of them DIY - and I think this is a great place to learn how to make them, brew with them, and create a quality beer with them.

I hope that this is both creative and helpful. I hope you all brew your best beer ever in 2015
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
[soccerdad, thanks so much for posting above. Good thoughts and I'll respond in a few days under the pseudonym of Pat. Until then, on the EBIAB side, we do have a dedicated forum on Electric BIAB here. If you have any ideas on stickies for that forum, please let me know.]

Q2. Who Makes a Difference to Me.

Looks like my cunning plan in post #1 is not working. I was hoping that this thread would at least save me some work on thanking people. I thought I might be able to do a Pat post just saying, "I agree." No such luck :P.

So, here are the people who make a real difference to me...

1. Those who take time in the My First Post thread. I used to love having the time to read every single post in that excellent thread. Some very high quality posts are written there. Thanks to you who go out of your way to make a considered first post.

Existing members who acknowledge the above posts and welcome people here are a dream for me. So many thanks to you.

2. Those who don't leave a new topic hanging. I think it takes some courage to start a new topic. I personally hate starting them and am very grateful when someone responds quickly. Even if you can't answer a question, just making a post saying, "I've wondered that as well," or "Nicely written," can make asking questions more comfortable.

3. Those who maintain the culture of tolerance. It's a very good culture here. Very rarely will you see a crappy post on this site. Almost any time I have made one (a pretty tiny percentage of my posts) it is rare for someone to jump down my throat. Silly things are usually handled nicely. (Moderators never edit my posts though and I really wish they would :angry:. They also never edit yours!)

4. I was going to thank the Moderators but they never do anything :smoke: :). (I'm going to give them some jobs in 2015 though :)). I will mention joshua though who not only contributes here (I call him Sir LinksALot) but also keeps the spammers at bay every day.

5. Those who spend so much time here educating others. One thing that a lot of people wouldn't realise is how much time it can take to answer a question correctly. I don't think there is another site where you will find members so dedicated to giving you a thorough and correct answer, even if you are a brand new member. It's not news to any older members that I am good at this and will sometimes spend four or five hours on a single thread or a few hours on a single post. The following members here do likewise...

In alphabetical order, Mad-Scientist, mally, Rick and Yeasty regularly take on the very hard, time-consuming questions often asked here. They make a massive difference to me.

6. The newer generation of contributors - I won't name you but I do see you contributing and actively learning here. Very nice!!!

7. Donors/Enthusiasts - I love it when I see someone has made a $5 donation to become a Donor or a $25 one to become an Enthusiast. It doesn't happen regularly, so it is not the money that makes a difference to me, it is the fact that you have really stopped to acknowledge that someone here has helped you.

A few other quick mentions.... NME, hashie and jimmysuperlative, thanks for always being there when needed ;). BobBrews, thanks for entertaining us all on the board and for your hilarious PM's and emails.

Many of you totally deserve a mention but on this site, you really have to do very long-service. Please keep up your great work.

Happy New Year to you all :peace:,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 30 Dec 2014, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Sorry to leave you hanging there PP.
Since reading the OP I have been thinking about how to reply. Although it is nice to have someone reply quickly to newly created treads to verify that someone has read it; this thread deserved some thought.
The fine folks acknowledged above are very much the same as I was intending to point out.

To answer the questions in the OP.
1&2) This forum more than any I have been a part of across various topics; consistently provides well thought out informative answers. No matter how many times a question has been asked here I have never seen a "do a search" reply or something to that effect. I believe that is entirely because of the leadership shown in this community. The great posts given on this forum are examples of how to respond to posts and our great new members are following in those examples.
It is the people (mentioned or not) that make this community great.
3) I am most looking forward to the redesigned site structure. An easier to navigate site would greatly help those looking for information already covered.
I personally don't think the Biabacus needs to be a program ( unless the plan is to market it along side BeerSmith ect). The only people I have noticed wanting the program are those who come here looking for a quick, free handout. I think that once people take some time and engage in the Biabacus programming it becomes unnecessary.
4) I wish I knew.
5) I want to contribute more here. 2014 did not go as planned for me in life and brewing. On positive for me this past year is that my wife has come to understand that I don't just brew to get hammered; there is a purpose, a plan and a goal for me to make brewing my profession.

I would like to thank everyone here for making my 2014 with this forum enjoyable.
Thank you Pat for the incredible time and effort you put in to make this community great.
And all the Best in 2015.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Wow, I'm not sure my response can measure up to the last couple, and Lumpy has summed up my thinking quite well, but what the heck...

1. I think one thing that is done well around here is quality. There are many experienced brewers who are willing to give quality answers, and if someone has an idea that may be viewed as incorrect by others, it is politely discussed and qualified for everyone else. This is a refreshing way to handle disagreements, rather than the usual internet drivel on some other forums.

2. Who does this well? I would agree with Pat here, its not hard to see who does it well when you look around the different topics and threads, and the names you mentioned Pat show up often and always have well thought out responses, with information based on experience. And of course PistolPatch should be added to the front of that list.

3/4. I just want to keep brewing in 2015, the biabacus works great for me as it is and if I encounter anything unexpected when brewing I know I can either find the answer here or find someone to help.

5. I will continue to welcome new members and answer questions and discuss things that I have experience with, and hopefully continue my brewing education and pass it along as I learn. Oh, and drink a lot of beer, I can do that too...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Happy New Year, PP. Thanks for the well wishes. I am going to answer some... but out of order.

Q5. I am going to respond to the My First Post thread at least once every time I log in.

Q1. Encouraging people to post and answer questions, no matter their experience level. You have no idea how comforting this is to the new brewer. Most brewers I have run into treat the information they have learned as obvious, or a kind of right of passage. Like you need to have brewed award winning beer to even think about answering a question. Asking questions at the LHBS is an exercise in futility, while the folks are know what they are doing, they are disinterested and aloof, for the most part. My wife says unfriendly. Here, however, most of the time, questions, no matter how basic, no matter how big of a newbie the person is, are treated with the same interest as the more advanced and less black and white questions.

Q2. Mostly everyone does Q1 well. It is a great culture here. PP, you are great. You deserve so much of the credit. Glad to have found the site.

Q3. Less threads like this. I don't disagree with the idea of seeking out misinformation but the banter with the folks from the other forum and the tone the thread took do us a disservice. We look bad... kind of like religious zealots when we do stuff like this. Best to ignore folks who are only interested in picking a fight. I really didn't like this thread at all.

Thanks again everyone for being a part of this site. I really can't express my appreciation enough.

All the best in 2015,

Jeff
Last edited by safebrew222 on 31 Dec 2014, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 made 9 years ago
1. What do we do well?
2. Who/m does it well? (Who/m has made a difference to you?).
3. What do you want in 2015. (e.g. A programmed BIABacus and/or nicely written help for it or something else?)
4. What do you think is the best way to find the resources (people and funds) to make 3 above happen?
5. What can you do in 2015?
1. Best practices, we do nail this quite well. There is still plenty of freedom in the process to explore the artistic side of brewing, best practices merely set a solid foundation to work with.

We are all open minded to alternate practices, provided amicable discussions can be had from all participating parties. This is another strength on this site. We choose the practices that make the fewest assumptions, and bend to new methods when faced with compelling information. It's important to know the "rules" before one starts to break the rules, and in brewing we are always pushing boundaries.

2. Pretty sure I've learned at least one thing from just about every regular here (present and past), whether they know it or not. It does take a lot of courage to put oneself out in the spotlight with a new thread, and it's important to know that even silently ... there could be many homebrewers benefiting from conversation.

3./4. I will have to think about this one, right now I am very content with how things are bringing my goals to fruition. I realize that not everyone will feel this way, so it's important to keep moving forward. No matter what, we must always move forward ... even if the path is not lit. I will join just about any project (big or small) if I can be of service.

5. The sky is the limit.
Last edited by Rick on 31 Dec 2014, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 9 years ago
I've just done my last 'educational' (hopefully) post for 2014 and so it's time to get a few beers under my belt as 2015 starts in five hours here :P.

Many thanks for the above posts. They are much appreciated and there are several things that "Pat" will be able to respond to above.

For now, all we need to know is that any poor quality threads here this year were entirely due to Bob and Rick :lol:. (Just joking, fellas ;)).

Give it heaps tonight and many thanks again,
Pat
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #10 made 9 years ago
Well - I feel stupid :-) I had no qualms breaking the ice and answering a few questions in the initial post, but how I ever missed an entire forum section on EBIAB is beyond me. In fairness, I was born half stupid, so when I work hard at it, it is pretty easy for me to get to full stupid :-) Anyway, thanks for steering me to the electic section-- I got 12 days of reading there to add to my 12 days of Christmas.

I know that I will be a better brewer in '15 - in part because of what I read here - and I hope all y'all will make your best brews yet this year.

* all y'all * is a clue as to where I live and make beer

SD
Last edited by soccerdad on 05 Jan 2015, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #11 made 9 years ago
SD, Have a Good 2015 brewing Year!

Even if you living in Georgia or (hopefully not) Alabama, you not too Stupid, you joined us Here!!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #12 made 9 years ago
I do wish everyone much happiness this year, oh and happy brewing. :drink:

Besides the usual suspects of people that make a difference on this site, it was soccerdad that jumped in to help me on the RM-MN thread. Soccerdad and Joshua are outstanding to me. :)
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #13 made 9 years ago
I just want to say that this is the site that allowed me to start brewing. I was reading for months on the internet and a few books that I bought, and it was a classic case of paralysis by analysis. Discovering BIAB and in particular the posts on this site made me feel that I could start out of the gate as an all grain brewer with minimum investment and ease of process. Many thanks to Pistol Patch early on.

I've not brewed a lot, but I've never made a bad beer. I've done a lot of reading about other methods and equipment, etc.etc. but I always come back to the BIABacus and what I learned from this site.
-- In Primary --
NONE - Need to get busy

-- Bottled --
SIMpatiCOE Pale Ale #7

Post #14 made 9 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:...Many thanks for the above posts. They are much appreciated and there are several things that "Pat" will be able to respond to above.
Looks like Pat has been lazy or busy or something but I have it on good authority the he hasn't forgotten this thread.

In the meantime, thanks for the mentions above. Really appreciate that :drink: and...
soccerdad wrote:Well - I feel stupid :-) I had no qualms breaking the ice and answering a few questions in the initial post, but how I ever missed an entire forum section on EBIAB is beyond me.
SD, go through my posts (or anyone's for that matter) and you'll find 'obvious' stuff I have missed over the years. Often the 'obvious' info, if available, was not actually obvious because of poor lay-out etc.

Having the guts to break the ice and answer a few questions and laugh at yourself is the perfect attitude I reckon so good on you :thumbs:. Pat will write more on the following I'm sure but the information that we are exposed to when brewing is overwhelming and this site is working towards making info fast to find for any brewer so if you can think of some good stickies for the Electric BIAB forum or any other forum, then don't hold back.

Same goes for everyone ;),
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 18 Jan 2015, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post #15 made 9 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Looks like Pat has been lazy or busy or something but I have it on good authority the he hasn't forgotten this thread.
This thread has certainly not been forgotten and I very much appreciate the responses above. A quality reply here though will take some concentration and time which, at present, are in very short supply. When I do reply here, I will do it over several hyper-linked posts so as you are able to read the sections that are most relevant to you.

What may be relevant to a lot of members atm is that the end of 2014 was extraordinarily busy for my day to day work. This coupled by computer and vehicle breakdowns resulted in their being no break over Christmas and New Year. Most importantly though is that the train of thought on the BIABacus help and website structure were broken. For me, it's a little like watching a TV series...

You all know that if there is a very big gap between watching Season 1 and Season 2 of a TV series, you might find yourself having to spend quite some time remembering the characters and the plot before you can "get into" Season 2.

Well, writing the BIABacus, adjusting the website structure, writing key help posts and then weaving them together into an easy story requires a lot more characters and plots than in a typical TV series or book :smoke:.

The main thing I'd like to say for now though is how nice it is for me to see members stepping up to the plate and answering forum questions with high quality, consideration and detail when they can and if a thread falls short, someone always seems to find time to jump in and lift it.

Namaste :salute:
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 27 Jan 2015, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Return to “Your Feedback”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests