Chat page

Post #1 made 9 years ago
It's probably a pipe dream but a chat section would be good.

I'm a bit remote, so I wish there was a list of Skype names or something for biab brewers, when they don't mind being called with a quick question or six they could be logged on, if busy they could log off (gentlemans hours could apply 7-9pm etc). I post a lot (probably too much!) but there's only one local club member who also biab and he's new to biab too.. Anyway, end of rant lol.

I'm definitely learning a heap from this site, the BIAB specific info is great.

ADMIN NOTE: I'm going to remove the Chat page function for the moment as the activity there is too infrequent and, when there is activity, it is hard for anyone to see it.

[center]INSTEAD PLEASE MAKE FULL USE OF...[/center]
Instead, anyone, including guests (subject to post approval), can now use the The Nonsense / Chat / Fast Answer / Guest Thread for, "...general chatting, asking and answering quick questions or when you feel as though you might be just writing utter nonsense :D
Last edited by nicko on 31 Jul 2014, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
nicko , whilst I do think a chat room would be nice , I do not mind a PM from a club member and try to respond as quick as possible.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
jhough wrote:nicko , whilst I do think a chat room would be nice , I do not mind a PM from a club member and try to respond as quick as possible.
Thanks J, I've sent a couple PMs and am waiting on responses, I guess different people have differing amounts of time on here. No big rush really, but during my first BIAB in particular, it would have been great to be able to jump into a chat room and ask questions, all turned out great though and the beer is delicious!!
Last edited by nicko on 31 Aug 2014, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Hi nicko,

We've installed a version of "mChat" on the forum for you. If you have a look at the top of the page, you'll notice a new menu option that says "Chat". Click on it and chat away :)

Let me know if you have any issues with it.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Very cool, thank you! I think it will be easy to pop into chat with any quick questions (if folks are in there).

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Couple of things....

You can also see the chat box at the bottom of the main BIABrewer page.

The Number of Users Chatting thing does not seem to be working that well I have noticed but if it did, maybe the 'Who is chatting' thing could move up to just under 'Who is online' on the main index page?

Anyone else got any ideas on how this can work for you?

I'm a bit lost on these things. Chat windows move way faster than me and only let you write less than a thousand words or something ridiculous - lol.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #10 made 9 years ago
The Number of users chatting thing "times out" after 15 minutes. So if no-one says anything in that space of time, it will empty :)

Post #11 made 9 years ago
Sorry mate, what I meant is that there is a discrepancy. Here's a pic...
Chat Discrepancy.jpg
It gets the 15 minute thing correct but not the 24 hour one???

Definitely like HbgBill's idea but have no idea if you can do it. Here's how I would see it possibly working.

IF

Any BIABrewer.info page is accessed,

THEN

A small note or emblem or something not intrusive would be visible at top of page that would display something like "4 chats published since your last click".

OR

If it was their first click upon logging in for a session (or a guest), then it might display something like, "64 chats published in the last 24 hours."

Good Idea?

I think that would be pretty cool. What do you guys reckon?

If it is, any phpBB experts out there to let us know if it is possible and/or help NME?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 03 Sep 2014, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #12 made 9 years ago
Please read the post above before reading this one...

I knew there was something extra odd happening with this. Check out this pic...
Chat Discrepancy 2.jpg
See how the first, "Who is chatting online," stat has now changed to 24 hours?

And now, just before you think you have it worked out, I actually set a timer before doing my previous post, thinking that the 15 mins would change to 24 hours after 15 minutes due to a programming error or something. It iddn't!!!

Go figure :smoke:.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 03 Sep 2014, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post #14 made 9 years ago
I'm going to remove the Chat page function for the moment as the activity there is too infrequent and, when there is activity, it is hard for anyone to see it.

[center]INSTEAD PLEASE MAKE FULL USE OF...[/center]
Instead, anyone, including guests (subject to post approval), can now use the The Nonsense / Chat / Fast Answer / Guest Thread for, "...general chatting, asking and answering quick questions or when you feel as though you might be just writing utter nonsense :D
Last edited by Pat on 20 Mar 2015, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Return to “Your Feedback”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 31 guests