Feedback for Atom feed and later on RSS feeds

Post #1 made 14 years ago
The Admin has kindly arranged to have Atom news feeds enabled on this site, so that now you can get feeds automatically on your computer/phone without having to log in to the website to check for new posts.

At the moment it is Atom feeds, as they are the easiest to implement, but later on RSS feeds may also be included, so can we please give some feedback on that feature on this thread to help the Admin tweak the feeds?

As for myself, at the moment I find that I am given the choice when on the new posts page to subscribe in FF3.6, and am given the following choices

Feed - BIABrewer.info
Feed - News
Feed - All Forums
Feed - All Topics

When on a specific topic page such as Intermediate Brewing, I can subscribe to that, so I guess for me I would like to see if it is possible to be able to subscribe to New Posts in particular, as this would allow me to keep on top of the latest posts such as is done with AHB.

News seems to be empty, the others have content, and I like being able to subscribe to a particular thread that may be of interest.

Well done Admin!

Matt

Post #2 made 14 years ago
OK, just worked out how to get news feeds of latest posts.

The link you need to enter into your reader of choice is - http://www.biabrewer.info/feed.php?mode=newposts

I still seem to not be getting any description though in the feed, I have tried using Simple RSS reader Add-on in FF3.6, and RSS reader in Ubuntu 10.04. I don't think that is a limitation with Atom feeds, it might just need a bit of code tweaked to get it there.

Another thing I noticed is that I am only getting the forum name in my feed, without the specific topic. As an example, I get Recipe Formulation, but nothing about the topic, such as BIABrewer's Ball Roller Stout, unless it was the original post on the topic, so not for replies.

Hope this info helps more than hinders!

Matt

Post #3 made 14 years ago
Seems to work quite well, many thanks you guys for organising and setting up!

I get the thread title in straight FF 3.6.3 as a live bookmark. Too complex for me to set an RSS app up! Maybe I should? Even though I did IT at uni I am too lazy to go nuts setting stuff up at home- I have a relatively- new dual xeon workstation here and about the most effort it expends is with GIMP, Ubuntu hardly keeps it ticking over. Maybe they 'need' a M$ OS to get the best value! :lol:
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #4 made 14 years ago
Sorry, that's wrong as I only get the thread title with the setup page (i.e. the link above). As a folder it only displays the forum.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #5 made 14 years ago
I use Simple RSS Reader, an addon in Firefox. It is good because it scrolls through the feeds, so you have one topic come up for however long you like, and from time to time while you are on the computer, you will see one that catches your eye.

A really good little addon for Firefox, unobtrusive, and will keep the most recently changed feeds up the top.

Matt

Post #6 made 13 years ago
hey guys,
i use MS Outlook for my RSS feeds.
When a new feed comes up, the header on the new RSS comes up with the posters name and what sub-forum it was posted in.
What do you think about changing this so that the header comes up the topic title and posters name instead of just the sub forum name?
I.E My last incoming RSS was "BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members • Yeasty" , Coule we set this up so it reads something like "BIABrewer.info - Secondary fermantation/clearing - Yeasty" ??
"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”Dave Berry

Return to “Your Feedback”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests