Hop Growing

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Just thought i would start a new thread for anybody wishing to impart their hop growing knowledge.
I have a Hallertau "Tradition", and "Northern brewer" in pots awaiting the last frost, so i can get them where they belong (in the garden).

The Hallertau looks like a real slow grower, i got about 2 feet of bine growth during August last year, then had to uproot it due to some bugs taking a shine to it.
The Northern Brewer looks like a fast one. I hadnt noticed anything until recently where it had rooted out the pot, and bines are growing already :argh:

Here is a nuresry (kindergarten) pic .
hop plants.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 05 Feb 2013, 03:37, edited 2 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Nice one Mally, I'll be ordering mine soon, I've got a grape vine that grows on the south facing wall that serves no purpose so I'm going to replace it with a couple of hop bines.

Which ones I don't know yet :think: I'm leaning towards Citra and Fuggles at the moment.

I read a good article on growing hops a week or so ago, I think I have it bookmarked on the office PC. It went into growing heights and spacing etc. I'll see if I can find it. I think it was related to a radio 4 program on the subject.

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 11 years ago
First year for my Columbus in 2010:
I had 3 columbus but I pulled 2 of them and replaced with Cascades this past year (2012). The 2012 harvest, bucket of Cascade and a bucket of Columbus:
Close up of a tastey Cascade flower:
Last edited by thughes on 05 Feb 2013, 06:26, edited 2 times in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 11 years ago
I learnt this year that you shouldn't go away for 2 weeks in the middle of summer and leave your hops to fend for themselves.

The temperature in Perth was around 40 degrees for 7 days straight. They survived, but they aren't very happy. I dont think I will see a crop this year

Post #6 made 11 years ago
I read a good article on growing hops a week or so ago, I think I have it bookmarked on the office PC. It went into growing heights and spacing etc. I'll see if I can find it. I think it was related to a radio 4 program on the subject.
Cheers yeasty!

& Thanks Joshua, interesting read there.
I dont think I will see a crop this year
:idiot: Oh no Aces, I feel for you. I hope you haven't lost too many.

Todd, they are great pics, were those buckets the whole crop? Have you used them yet? I can't believe you of all people hadn't planted Styrians!!
Last edited by mally on 05 Feb 2013, 16:04, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #7 made 11 years ago
My crop was ruined by bugs last year. We had a early spring and a late frost. We lost all the apples and other flowering trees. The Summer was long and dry. I didn't pay attention to what little hops I had and the crop was totally lost! I am not sure that I will have anything at all this year? Oh Well!

I did get to go to a experimental hop farm and get a tour. I saw some new picking equipment made for small farms. It was fun and ended up going to a big brewery (New Glarus) after the interview! Cool! :smoke:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #8 made 11 years ago
mally wrote: Todd, they are great pics, were those buckets the whole crop? Have you used them yet? I can't believe you of all people hadn't planted Styrians!!
Yup, that was the whole crop. 1 Columbus plant gave me @ 2oz (dry) and 2 Cascades gave me a total of @ 3.5oz (dry). Used them all in one brew, sadly the Columbus did not provide enough bitering and I ended up with a batch of very citricy but VERY cloying beer. Had to dump it.

As to Styrians? As I cannot replicate the growing conditions and terroir of Czechoslovakia, I am relegated to purchasing them.
Last edited by thughes on 06 Feb 2013, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.
WWBBD?

Post #9 made 11 years ago
I know the hop plant was thought of as an invasive weed, and i can kinda see why now.
My Hallertau is still having a nice winter snooze, but the northern brewer seems to be having a party!

hop plants 2.jpg
If you look at the 1st pic, then this one, that is 10 days growth!! :argh: :argh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 14 Feb 2013, 05:08, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #10 made 11 years ago
Mally,

It seems as if you can see the hops grow! My hops have made it to my second story roof more times than not! Of course then you have to worry about them growing under the shingles! A few years ago I was in a hurry to pick them and I tried to pull the vines down. Sadly I also had the guide wire in my hand. When I pulled extra hard due to frustration. I pulled the eves of the house down along with some siding!!! Major dumb shit!!! :sneak:

I love hops if only to crush the resin in my hand and smell. (I smell without crushing the hops) :whistle:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #11 made 11 years ago
When I was a teenager, I had my own “chalet” behind the cottage, where I hung out and slept and played my music loud. It had a wood stove. It had a massive hop plant growing over it. You could hardly tell it was a building as it looked like one big hop plant. The shoots would work their way under the eaves and grow inside. I would train the plant on lengths of string up to the rafters and around the rafters, and it would hang from the rafters in green curtains, flourishing amongst my Hawkwind and Yes posters. Apart from the appearance, I didn’t really care much for that f***king plant. The rough stems used to scratch me nearly every time I went through the door and cause a nasty rash, which I have since learnt is “hop dermatitis”. It got me nearly every time. I’d love to have that huge and beautiful plant back now though.

Just telling you the story, so if you get a painful blistering rash, it ain’t poison ivy, it’s your hop plant. I think it is rare though. I was probably sensitized by so many attacks from the plant.
Guinges

Post #12 made 11 years ago
I pulled the eves of the house down along with some siding!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet it wasn't funny at the time though Bob!

Guinges - Was that a male or female hop plant? Just wondered if you ever saw any cones? I wonder if it was wild or a cultivar too?

BTW - for anybody that has noticed; the reddish light that bathes my plants isn't to attract strange "passers by", it is a red/blue led lamp that is supposed to promote growth. Maybe it works?
Last edited by mally on 14 Feb 2013, 16:14, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Aces high wrote:I learnt this year that you shouldn't go away for 2 weeks in the middle of summer and leave your hops to fend for themselves.

The temperature in Perth was around 40 degrees for 7 days straight. They survived, but they aren't very happy. I dont think I will see a crop this year
hops 2.jpg
Not a very good photo unfortunatley, but this is my main plant. It was about 4 feet up the ropes in both directions, then got burnt badly when we went on holiday in the heatwave. The bines have died off and its just the laterals getting longer, but not really thickening up around the top. Ive now just let it go wild and more bines seem to pop out of the ground every week, not much help this year, but I should be able to split it up and get plenty of little hop plants next year.
Last edited by Aces high on 14 Feb 2013, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.

Post #14 made 11 years ago
Mally, it could have been several plants. My parents did collect the cones and dried them for my mother’s beer. My father looked into what variety would be good, and I think he probably got it/them from Thompson & Morgan catalog. Don’t know what variety it was though, sorry. Are you supposed to have males and females?

Ps. yes the red light will attract gentlemen in overcoats. I lived in a red light area when I was a student, because rent was cheap there. The red lights did seem to be very effective. I wonder what colour light attracts women? …PP might be interested :) (Where is PP? Trying to tease him so he comes back. He must be busy on BIABacus)
Last edited by GuingesRock on 14 Feb 2013, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #15 made 11 years ago
GuingesRock,
Are you supposed to have males and females?
Only females! Males are worthless except for breeding. :whistle: That seems OK to me!!! :blush:
Last edited by BobBrews on 14 Feb 2013, 21:24, edited 3 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #17 made 11 years ago
not much help this year, but I should be able to split it up and get plenty of little hop plants next year.

Aces - That is a real shame what has happened, but i would leave it alone too. Those laterals will prvide some nutrient/energy for next year :thumbs:
Males are worthless except for breeding
Bob - That comment could only come from someone that lives in a gender challenged abode. :lol:
Last edited by mally on 15 Feb 2013, 00:04, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #18 made 11 years ago
Mally,
Bob - That comment could only come from someone that lives in a gender challenged abode. :lol:
Yes! My wife four daughters foreign exchange students (all female) and all female dogs! :headhit: Now that the kids are gone it's just me. The wife and the dog (female of course). :idiot:
Last edited by BobBrews on 15 Feb 2013, 01:14, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #19 made 11 years ago
My hops are about 6-12" and I'm in the process of putting up my bine support system ! Pictures to follow !!

My plan is to have 2 ropes going up from each plant in a big V. Do you think I'll get away with training 2-3 bines per rope or is it best not to be greedy and just train 1. :think:

Post #21 made 11 years ago
I have done the same Yeasty. 2 hops, 2 sets of V's.

I had a disaster with mine last week though.
the Northern brewer had grown to about 8-10ft in the conservatory so I decided they had to get planted.
During the transfer they got bent & damaged nearer to the root, I thought they might recover, so wound them around the ropes, watered well & went on holiday for a week.
Both Bines are dead :cry:
I am hoping the other bines in the root will shoot up :pray:

The Hallertau are similar to yours Yeasty (about 1ft), but I have 4 bines on that (can't bring myself to prune it yet). Hopefully they will fare better.
G B

Post #22 made 11 years ago
Here is my hop support framework.

38mm tubing hammered into the ground, 25mm conduit uprights and 20mm conduit cross piece. 2 x V's made of 10mm rope.

I'm a bit worried about the wind once its covered in foliage :dunno: I might have to fit some out riggers to give it some extra support :think: .

They are planted in an old raised bed at the top of the garden, I covered the soil with a fabric weed barrier and have covered that in cardboard so that the soil stays moist.

I've given them both a couple of hands full of pelleted chicken manure so fingers crossed that we've seen the last of the cold weather and they reach for the sky :thumbs:

:salute:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 16 Apr 2013, 02:00, edited 2 times in total.

Post #23 made 9 years ago
Well the Hallertau settled into their new location quite well.
My first real crop :party:
hallertau.jpg
I have also planted a cascade, and goldings either side, and they have given a few flowers in their first year!

The dead looking stuff is the old ivy that had to be sacrificed.
Last edited by mally on 21 Sep 2014, 15:38, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #24 made 9 years ago
Hallertau harvested, and 270g dry weight obtained! :party:
goldings and cascade are still on the drying screen, nowhere near as much but still good for their first year!

They were all absolutely infested with greenfly :o , I only noticed as I layed them out on screens whilst harvested in my BIAB bags the next day.

Amazing to think that we have this vegetation, that is billowing in the wind for months, covered in insectcs and god knows what other "microscopics", but are fine with putting raw into beer (dry hop) :interesting:
G B

Post #25 made 9 years ago
Great job guys. My crop was devastated again by Japanese beetles! Next year they get chemical treatment!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Return to “Hops”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests