Post #27 made 10 years ago
Mally,

We have needed this to make things more understandable for brewers. Keep up the good work! It really looks professional and shows a lot of hard work and research. Thanks again!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #28 made 10 years ago
BTW - This is still classed as developmental (to me anyway). Hopefully after it has been used/approved/verified etc. changes & corrections will be finalised.

If there are any users of this guide at the moment, there is an error on PG3 that I have just noticed. so just ignore that for the time being. :angry:

edit **
Thanks for all your encouragement :peace:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #29 made 10 years ago
mally wrote:BTW - This is still classed as developmental...
I've been emailing with mally so he knows that I think the above is coming along really nicely.

:peace:

Take some time to look at post #30

It takes quite a while to make a post like mally did in #1 and #30. There is nothing worse than, after posting, finding an error and having to re-draw and post a pic so...

If you see anything wrong, post it.

Clever Thinking (Lars)...

Lars' post #22 is a great/perfect example of seeing things through other people's eyes. Lar's post needs to be carefully considered. If Lars is confused, how can we expect a first-time all-grainer to see what we want them to see?

Think on the big issues

This guide currently only deals with volume terminology. While it looks great compared to the chart we have here the latter has process, gravity and efficiency terms as well as volumes. (Even with all that detail it still misses a very basic layer we have thought of since.)

Do you have a solution?

I think there might be a way of putting the above terms into mally's format by using the third column so, have a beer and throw your ideas in if you can see a way of mally's doc puling the big picture together nicely.

This sort of stuff takes a tremendous amount of time/work/thinking. The more time/work/thinking that you guys can throw in, the better for mally and anyone else trying to make it easier for others here.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 01 Sep 2013, 22:16, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #31 made 10 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Clever Thinking (Lars)...

Lars' post #22 is a great/perfect example of seeing things through other people's eyes. Lar's post needs to be carefully considered. If Lars is confused, how can we expect a first-time all-grainer to see what we want them to see?
I never actually read that as Lars being confused.

I actually thought it was the same as what I was thinking whilst designing it. How can I draw grain being tipped in from a certain height whilst stirring to avoid doughballs? erm... nevermind, I will just show a bag with grain in it, then a bag with grain in water! :lol:
I have got around my Powerpoint limitations with some accompanying text (see pic4 "dough in", is that enough? or do you think the graphic is required?

Lars? anybody else?
What about PP's comments? does anybody think we should add more info to cover gravities etc? have seperate guides? or just use it as is?
Last edited by mally on 05 Sep 2013, 03:27, edited 2 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #32 made 10 years ago
Hi All,

I have been lurking on this site for the last week while reading to learn all I can. I am a beginner, with only 6 extract (+ grain) under my belt. I have been looking to improve my technique, and only learned about BIAB last week. For me, this is the most helpful post to explain the whole BIAB process. :thumbs: Can we make this a "sticky" in the "Master Guide" section?
Thanks to you all for putting together a great site! :clap: I can't wait to attempt my fist BIAB!

Post #33 made 10 years ago
Welcome to BIABrewer Interceptor2k and thank you for your post above. mally has actually done some more work on his pictorial and what BIABrewer hopes to do over Christmas and the New Year is find enough time to juggle the site layout around into a far more logical and useful order so as any brewer will be able to quickly find the information that is personally relevant to them.

Doing this will allow things like mally's work to be finalised and slotted into the right area.

Your suggestion is certainly a good one and has resulted in me spending some time working out how to make it easy for any of us to say, "This post or thread made a difference to me."

For now, when you come across some gold on the site, please post in one of these two threads...

Some great work I noticed!
The Guest Thread

Interceptor2k, I hope that you and many others will really build those threads.

Many thanks,
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 09 Dec 2013, 19:42, edited 2 times in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #34 made 9 years ago
Mally, this is the first time I've seen this. Pictures are worth 1000 words to me.. as I'm much more a visual learner than one who can do it all by simply reading.

Thanks thanks thanks.

Getting back to what Lylo was saying.. When I worked at Hewlett Packard, I used to rub shoulders with a number of the technical writers and I found out why their technical manuals were so clear.

What they would do after writing a 1st, 2nd, etc draft of the manual, they would give it to a totally non-technical person.. like a secretary and ask him/her to read the manual and perform the tasks. They would find out what the parts were that were not clear and re-write them until the process became clear.

For beginners, and I certainly consider myself a beginner, I would find it cumbersome to complete. When I asked questions about it, I was referred to this thread and that thread. Thank goodness for the persistence of the admins and others that helped me through it. I still get confused and have a ton to learn. Slowly getting there.. but it is taking handholding.

Thanks to all.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #35 made 9 years ago
Now we're getting there!...... This is a very basic, easy to understand tutorial, that pretty well would explain the general BIAB brewing process and terminology to a novice, or to anyone for that matter, I wish it had been about when I started BIABing, it would have made it so much easier grasping the terminology etc.... well done mally, go to the front of the class!
I used to spill more than I drink these days!

Post #36 made 7 years ago
Hi friends!

Sorry for reactivating this old thread.

Just I have found interesting to export this guide into a pdf file all together, so I attached also here.

Thanks for your job! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #38 made 7 years ago
Bingo!! Mally I may be a little late with this reply but just wanted to say you have really nailed it with your re-worked diagrams. Well done
I used to spill more than I drink these days!

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 16 guests