Bridal Chaffon Bag

Post #1 made 10 years ago
After my first two BIABs I noticed the bag I purchased from an online shop here in Canada had a few little holes in it.

I decided to make one instead since this one also seemed a bit too course, so I went to a local fabric shop and asked about voile. For some reason all the different versions of 'voile' they had were made out of cotton :headhit: So I asked about polyester and was directed to something called Bridal Chaffon. Pretty sure they make wedding dresses out of it if I had to guess, anyway, $14 later I had enough to make 2 bags large enough to completely line my 60L kettle.

I took a picture beside a ruler and zoomed in nice and close, this stuff has about 42 threads per cm. I have done 1 BIAB with it so far and it worked beautifully, seems to drain as fast as my other bag did (which had around 28 threads per cm) but I now have about half the trub in the bottom of my kettle as before. One thing I notice is its not as stretchy as my store bought bag, but didnt seem to affect anything.

Anyway, just thought I would throw this out there since I haven't heard this material mentioned anywhere for BIABags... :peace:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #2 made 10 years ago
goulaigan,

I never heard of Bridal Chaffon? I just use "Shear drapery Material" http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polyester-Voile ... 1294761486

We (the wife) made a bunch of bags. I supplied my whole brew club with them. The wife made a few dollars for her time! The first bag made in about 2007 still works as a good spare! :argh:
Last edited by BobBrews on 16 May 2014, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 26 guests