Post #2 made 12 years ago
Allquip always seem to have the best prices. Have a look [url]here[/url=http://www.allquip.com.au/home/index.cf ... tartrow=11] Brenton.

Both of my pots come from there and the quality is as good as it gets. I have the 70 L stainelss steel pots and use an italian spiral onone and a three ring on the other. Both have high pressure regulators on them and both of these burners have very similiar performance - no problems there at all.

Sometimes, with the three ring butners, you need to clean the holes out after the first one or two brews. After that, they are fine.

Have fun!
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 12 years ago
I think mine were $35 (each) from Sydney to Perth which is pretty good considering their size and weight. 80 L is a big pot and your evaporation rate will be very high on single batches but this has never worried me. In an 80 L you will be able to double batch easilly and the evaporation rate is very good. Cheers!
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #5 made 12 years ago
Awsome, thanks for that mate. I'm sure i'll be bugging you when i get all the equipment and go to make my first brew. On that. is it possible to workout the reciepe ie grain ammounts prior to getting the equipment if i know what equipment i'm getting? that way i can get stuck into my first brew straight away :) can you tell i'm impatient or what??

Regards
Brenton

Post #6 made 12 years ago
Not impatient - just enthusiastic :P

You can certainly order your ingredients now. You'll be able to do either a single or double batch though a single might be the best way to go for your first brews.

Have a read through 'The Commentary'. Then decide on your recipe. Maybe use one that is already on the site and has been written into The Calculator as this will make things easier for you in the beginning. Once you've made these decisions, post the calculator file here or, if unable to do this, post the recipe here and we'll work from there.

It's important to do a bit of reading though so as you have the process clear in your mind. Makes the brew day easier too!

:peace: Brenton,
PP

Post #7 made 12 years ago
Already know what beer i want to make first up. the all famous "Black Beer" :)
I have read the commentary but i am going to read it again. The calculator still confuses me a bit. I think it will come to me once i get it into action though :)

BTW, i have decided on the 80lt stock pot from allquip and a italian spiral burner.

Regards
Brenton

Post #8 made 12 years ago
Good on you Brenton.

I won't do it tonight but will add a calculator file to the Black Beer recipe. I should have time late tomorrow to do this. Will et you know here once it is done.

Cheers,
PP

Post #10 made 12 years ago
No worries Brenton. Sorry, ran out of time yesterday but the Schwartzbier calculator file is up now. All you have to do is change the diameter to 48 cm and the brew length to what you want and the grain and hop bill will scale automatically for you.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Aug 2011, 18:06, edited 5 times in total.

Post #12 made 11 years ago
My question. I ordered and received a Blichmann 10G kettle. Just arrived yesterday and I'm working with my setup. The question arises.. I have the option of getting the false bottom for the pot. What might be the Pros and Cons of using a FB? I've been looking at a chrome plated steamer rack to put in the bottom to keep the bag off the hot bottom. The FB would also do that as well as possibly keep some of the hot break out of the drainings that head to the fermenter. This may well be overkill.. but, I'd guess if I want to do both BIAB and conventional AG brewing this solution may well be a good idea... ???? Thoughts appreciated.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Hi HbgBill,

I got this thing with its false bottom for my birthday in November and I never looked back.

There are many arguments against ball valves and built in thermometers on here. I don’t recall anything on false bottoms, so I’m interested to hear what the more experienced brewers have to say also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guinges

Post #14 made 11 years ago
My questions about the FB might be:

1. Does it hinder heating of the water. I think it might as there is water trapped under it. More time (propane) to heat the same volume of water.
2. If I want to whirlpool the liquor to help collect trub toward the center of the pot.. do I have to remove the FB first.. or just leave it in.. which may separate most of the trub out of the space below the FB.

If I use a cake rack, I can attach a string to that and pull it out once the boil is complete.. then whirlpool w/o any restrictions. Hope I'm making my thoughts somewhat clear.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #15 made 11 years ago
HbgBill wrote:My question. I ordered and received a Blichmann 10G kettle.
My question, want to trade, mine is BIGGER. :)

I think it's fine, but overkill to get a Blichmann FB and it doesn't look like you can pull it after the mash. I would email John Blichmann, with any concerns; jblichmann@blichmannengineering.com , I think.

Are you going to have a pulley?

I just lift my bag a little to clear the bag enough from the bottom via a pulley and secure with a cleat knot for a mash temperature adjustment (mostly for a step mash or mash out). If I don't do that, I will stand over the pot, partially lifting the bag with both hands and rock it side to side, set it back down, stir the grain, and repeat. I did that 4 times during my 90 mins mash (no sleeping bag, just al natural :thumbs: ), maybe twice, if during the summer.

2/16/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 27 Feb 2013, 06:06, edited 5 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #17 made 11 years ago
I wouldn't trust a cheap ratchet, what if it fails? I use cheap home depot pulleys, so who am I to judge. :pray:
We would be better off getting a set of rescue pulleys.

Post #18 made 11 years ago
Good Day, The ratchet will work fine, But Over time the Braided rope will thin and slide thru the ratchet under load.

A simple Double pully setup As MS shows is best!!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #19 made 11 years ago
if you're looking for better quality pulleys you can check out the boating stores. They usually have stainess versions and if you go to a larger boating warehouse the prices are pretty good.

Post #20 made 10 years ago
HbgBill wrote:My question. I ordered and received a Blichmann 10G kettle. Just arrived yesterday and I'm working with my setup. The question arises.. I have the option of getting the false bottom for the pot. What might be the Pros and Cons of using a FB? I've been looking at a chrome plated steamer rack to put in the bottom to keep the bag off the hot bottom. The FB would also do that as well as possibly keep some of the hot break out of the drainings that head to the fermenter. This may well be overkill.. but, I'd guess if I want to do both BIAB and conventional AG brewing this solution may well be a good idea... ???? Thoughts appreciated.
The Blichmann False Bottom is not recommended as a boil screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Largus1776 on 11 Mar 2014, 23:04, edited 5 times in total.

Post #21 made 10 years ago
RE: "chrome grill": the Weber 7431 Cooking Grate is just the correct diameter for the Blichmann 10GAL BoilerMaker.
weber 7431-(C).jpg
Last edited by Largus1776 on 11 Mar 2014, 23:15, edited 5 times in total.

Post #22 made 10 years ago
Blichmann 10GAL Boilermaker with grill cut out to accomidate HopBlocker. (HopBlocker also protects bag from catching on the thermometer well.) This chrome grill was later upgraded to a stainless steel cage (recommended).

Post #24 made 10 years ago
Holy Crap Batman!

That is a clean and nice looking setup. Once you get past the jitters and worries of BIAB. (few there are) you will be brewing (good beer with good gear) good luck!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #25 made 10 years ago
Largus, very nice posts and information. I would have bought a grill screen but I use a keggle with a 12" openning and 16" diameter. I wanted something to protect my bag too, so I went with a Jaybird FB with a hinge.

Jaybird 15" false bottom with a reverse hinge and a level 3 filter stand. http://youtu.be/tSS5BMCUtM4
Primary use is for protecting the BIAB bag from getting burned.

7/12/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

BobBrews, I thought I was Batman. :argh:
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 13 Mar 2014, 03:52, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Gas-Fired BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests