Water expansion

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Hi all,

I am just trying to calibrate my measuring stick which i use to fill the pot to the correct water volume. Because i often use hot water I was trying to work out how much correction i need.

I found this quote "The thermal coefficient of expansion of water is 0.00021 per 1° Celsius at 20° Celsius"
Does that mean that for each degree I multiply initial volume lets say 50L x 1.00021 x the temperature difference above 20 degrees. so for 60 degrees water it would be 50L x 1.00021 x 60. Or am I way off?

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Water expansion is quite strange Aces. It is a logarithmic curve except at very low temperatures.

In your BIABacus, go to the second sheet called, "Unit Conversion." On the right hand side you will find a 'Water/Wort Expansion and Contraction" section on the right hand side.

The co-efficients we use are from, "Brewing Science and Practice," by Briggs, Boulton, Brookes and Stevens. We use the following numbers...

Ambient: 5.0 C (41.0 F) = 0.99999
Mash: 65.0 C (149 F) = 0.98059
Boil: 100 C (212 F) = 0.95838

The ambient co-efficienct is fine to use at all your low temperatures such as for conditioning through to pitching temps.
The mash co-efficient is fine to use for all your mash and sparging temperatures and for your hot water.
The boil co-efficient should only be used very close to boiling point.

The BIABAcus uses the above co-efficients as follows...

1.000000 Volumes at ambient temperatures becomes 1.019784 volumes at mash temperatures and 1.043417 volumes at boiling.

In addition to this sheet, on the first sheet of The BIABacus, '[Hot] Strike Water Needed (SWN) in Section K, will also give you what you are looking for. Finally, Sections S and T will tell you the depth and headspace of the wort at the relevant brewing stage with the temperature factored in. These two sections can also be set up so as they will work accurately for kegs.

In other words, the BIABacus does all the work for you.

:luck:
Pat
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests