barrel aged beer

Post #1 made 13 years ago
so a group of us got together and bought a used reconditioned wine barrel (225L).
we each brewed the same recipe - Robust Porter, and got together last night for the barrel filling. what an excitement!.
the recipe:

OG: 1.082
FG: 1.018
Color: 38.1 SRM
IBU: 28.5 IBU
ABV: 8.1%
6.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 84.8 %
0.50 kg Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) 7.0 %
0.33 kg Carafa II (412.0 SRM) 4.6 %
0.25 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 3.6 %
40.00 gm Goldings, EK [5.00 %] (60 min)
Yeast: US-05

Mash @ 68 C, 60 min, efficiency 75%
Boil 60 Minutes

you can view pictures and read a write up here:
http://myhomebrewedbeer.blogspot.com/20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -post.html
OR use Google translate to read it in English
Last edited by shibolet on 13 Apr 2011, 18:16, edited 5 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #2 made 13 years ago
Cool,

Also liked the 200L braumeister and matching 240L fermenter! :)
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 13 years ago
stux wrote:Cool,

Also liked the 200L braumeister and matching 240L fermenter! :)
Yes, the barrel is hosted at my friend Dagan's new nano brewery. 200L braumeister and nine 240L fermenters. they brew their own beers HADUBIM (the Bears) and contract brew for other wannabe commercial brewers.

http://myhomebrewedbeer.blogspot.com/20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -post.html

here's the label for their first commercial brew:
Last edited by shibolet on 14 Apr 2011, 02:12, edited 5 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
to be brewed:

Post #4 made 13 years ago
Shib, that is an exciting project. You must have had some fun doing that.

Sounds like you have an enthusiastic community of brewers there in Israel. :thumbs:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 11 years ago
Hey Noam, guess what I just bought?

http://www.homebrewing.com/equipment/whiskey-barrel.php
I'm planning to run a few porters through it, and possibly an IPA (there's a local brewery that offers an oaked IPA that is fantastic).

Once most of the oak flavor is gone it'll be time to infect it with some bugs. Can you say "Flanders Red"? :thumbs:
Last edited by thughes on 10 Feb 2013, 10:24, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 11 years ago
Todd, I really wanted to get some casks once, like in the picture below. I found a place to order them online. My plan was to make historical IPA and put it in the casks. I couldn’t solve the cleaning and sanitisation issue. In the “old days” they used formaldehyde, which is extremely toxic. Did you come up with a practical solution to this?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guinges

Post #8 made 11 years ago
180 F water. The barrel that I ordered has been full of whiskey until just recently so there really isn't any concerns with having to clean/sterilize it. In the long run it will be used for long term aging of sour beers so, again, there is no big concern about sanitizing (we sour guys WANT the bugs in there!)
WWBBD?

Post #9 made 11 years ago
Todd, that's kind of pricey isn't it?
and Joshua, oak chips aren't nearly as fun as having your own barrel :)
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #11 made 11 years ago
shibolet wrote:Todd, that's kind of pricey isn't it?
and Joshua, oak chips aren't nearly as fun as having your own barrel :)
Actually it's pretty cheap on this side of the pond. A similar sized Hungarian Oak barrel is $135 USD plus shipping and the French Oak is $300 USD plus shipping. Once the weather gets a bit nicer I will hit the Finger Lakes Wine Trail here and see about procuring a used wine barrel. :pray:
Last edited by thughes on 11 Feb 2013, 01:56, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?

Post #12 made 11 years ago
thughes wrote:180 F water. The barrel that I ordered has been full of whiskey until just recently so there really isn't any concerns with having to clean/sterilize it. In the long run it will be used for long term aging of sour beers so, again, there is no big concern about sanitizing (we sour guys WANT the bugs in there!)
I never even thought of using hot water. Thanks! I googled it for ages too, and didn’t come across that. Makes perfect sense to me.

thughes wrote:I'm planning to run a few porters through it, and possibly an IPA (there's a local brewery that offers an oaked IPA that is fantastic).
Beer in casks went off once it was started, and had to be drunk within a week or two because of the air getting in as it was dispensed. Do you know how your local brewery avoids that? or if there is a way I could get around that?
Last edited by GuingesRock on 11 Feb 2013, 06:47, edited 5 times in total.
Guinges

Post #13 made 11 years ago
The local place is not doing cask ale, they simply aged a few batches of their signature IPA in oak barrels before kegging and then released it on tap at a few select pubs. This is the beer that they oaked, and here are the tasting notes. I believe it was done as an homage to the great IPA's of yore that once traveled the ocean in oak barrels.
Last edited by thughes on 11 Feb 2013, 07:44, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?

Post #14 made 11 years ago
I think the all brett IPA I did recently would be a pefect candidate to spend a bit of time soaking in an oak barrel......
WWBBD?

Post #15 made 11 years ago
I really don’t like oaked wines :argh: (I like many non-oaked wines). I like any kind of scotch though. Do you reckon I’d like naturally oaked IPA? Does anyone like oaked beers but not like their wine oaked?

Should I try it by throwing in some of Joshua’s oak chips? Does that work as well as an oak barrel, even though it might be less fun.

How does that sour beer taste? You’d need the patience of a saint (I don’t have that) to age it for so long. Is it worth the wait?
Last edited by GuingesRock on 11 Feb 2013, 17:58, edited 6 times in total.
Guinges

Post #18 made 11 years ago
GR, No worries, This topic could end today, or run for weeks with this link!!

Enjoy Experiments!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #19 made 11 years ago
i have beer ageing on oak (cubes :sad: ) for over a year. yes, being patient sucks.
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #20 made 11 years ago
I have a 1 gallon glass growler. I regularly have some oak chips sitting in there with various things. At the moment I have oak chips, vanilla beans, Licorice root and all soaking in brandy!

In fact I am tweaking my beer now!
Growler.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobBrews on 12 Feb 2013, 03:59, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #21 made 11 years ago
our barrel project is approaching it's third year. today was the first tasting of a sample taken from the second batch ageing in the barrel since last March.
it's a dark brown ale at around 10%. we will be bottling in a week or two.
Last edited by shibolet on 13 Feb 2013, 04:57, edited 5 times in total.
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #23 made 10 years ago
shibolet wrote:so a group of us got together and bought a used reconditioned wine barrel (225L).
we each brewed the same recipe - Robust Porter, and got together last night for the barrel filling. what an excitement!.
Hi shibolet

I am planning to do this with some friends as well, we have a red wine barrel, 100L smaller than yours. I don't think we will age it for so long as you.

I am interested to learn if you sterilized the barrel before you added the beer?

Also do you expect the beer will turn sour?

Thanks
Last edited by Homemade on 24 Jun 2013, 20:14, edited 5 times in total.

Post #24 made 10 years ago
hey Homemade,
you can't actually sterilize an oak barrel. we rinsed it with hot water. one year we also rinsed it with 95% alcohol.
at the last cleaning we used a sulfur stick to kill the bugs in the barrel. (BTW, DO NOT burn a sulfur stick in a barrel that had alcohol or spirit of any kind in it)
I do expect the barrel to go sour eventually but so far the beers are surprisingly clean.

I also recently acquired another 100L barrel. this one will be intentionally soured.
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #25 made 10 years ago
Hi shibolet

Thks for that can I ask more questions of you?

I do not want a sour beer but I have read a few things and I am struggling to understand if it will be sour tasting on the first brew. So you have done a few brews in the barrel and the beer has not come out sour yet?

The barrel I have was sulphited before I got it, but has been stored empty for a few months now. so I just need to rinse it with hot (i guess boiling) water that's sounds easy enough. How much do you use? I am guessing you need a large amount otherwise it will cool down quickly once it is inside the barrel?

Do you store yours empty between use?

I notice you ferment the beer first then age in the barrel, but you fit an air lock, do you get much additional ferment activity? do you leave much headspace in the barrel?

does your barrel leak much or do you prime it to soak the wood so it swells?

Last question, do you notice any evaporation? In a podcast Jamil suggested there will be evaporation through the wood?

Appreciate your feedback on this

Thks

Return to “Flat Beer to Beer”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 3 guests