Post #27 made 11 years ago
Looks great Todd.
Mine is chugging away, took off about 12 hours after I pitched.....smells like a big bowl of fruit salad in my fermenting fridge right now! :party:
Has it lost all of this character now in favour of spicy/floral? Just wondered if it was part of the conditioning process?
Last edited by mally on 14 Jan 2013, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #28 made 11 years ago
No, there is still a "fruity" character in both the aroma and taste, my palate is horible and I am not very creative at describing said characteristics. I would say it is like a mix of tangerine and pineapple in combination (very tropical) along with the spice and a sweet flowery type taste/aroma. I assume this "tropical" note is from the brett yeast itself. If nothing else it is very "interesting".
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #29 made 11 years ago
Want some :yum:
G B

Post #30 made 11 years ago
mally wrote:Want some :yum:
The recipe is in the first post of this thread. :whistle:
Last edited by thughes on 14 Jan 2013, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.
WWBBD?

Post #31 made 11 years ago
hey guys,
my BrettPA is turning out to be a big hit. still no "Brett" classic characters, but very tropical fruit which i don't know if to attribute more to the hops or more to the brett.
last week i poured my beers at the Israeli Beers 2013 expo (mostly commercial craft beer but a handful of homebrewers as a gimmick)
i didn't offer my sours to the mainstream drinkers. that would have been a waste. but i did offer them to those who i thought would appreciate them. i got very positive feedback. one pro brewer even said "this is probably the best beer I've tasted tonight" !!!
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #32 made 11 years ago
Good for you, I'm sure your beers were the best ones there!

As far as I have learned, you won't get that classic brett "funk" when using it for primary fermentation.....it needs to be used after the primary sacc strain has completed to get that classic "barnyard" essence. My research also shows that brett adds that "tropical" character when used as a primary yeast strain. I like that tropical taste but need to brew something a bit more familiar to me so that I can pick out exactly what the brett adds.

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #33 made 11 years ago
thughes wrote:I like that tropical taste but need to brew something a bit more familiar to me so that I can pick out exactly what the brett adds.
---Todd
excellent point :!:

you've just sparked an idea! i may just brew my "regular" Belgian pale side by side with a 100% brett version. hmm..
Last edited by shibolet on 14 Jan 2013, 22:29, edited 2 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #34 made 11 years ago
Well my WLP644 has arrived today, so i expect there will be a bit of experimental brewing this weekend.
depending how it turns out i may even consider blending with the pure lacto i still have. :cool:
G B

Post #35 made 11 years ago
Todd/Noam

Have you experienced the "typical" Brett flocculation problem? and if so what did you do about it?
Mine has been at about 5 C for over a week, and it dosesnt look like it wants to drop at all :scratch:
G B

Post #36 made 11 years ago
Sorry mally, can't give much guidance to you on this matter. I got lazy and left mine in the primary for 5 weeks...it was pretty clear by then! I then dry-hopped for 4 days, crashed at 35F for 24 hours, then kegged. Sadly it's all gone now, that's one of the drawbacks of doing 1.5 gallon test batches. :sad:

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #37 made 11 years ago
Todd, 5 weeks and only ONE 1.5 gallon batch????? you should have a 1.5 gallon batch every WEEK!!

Or 2.25gal or 12L or 1-case x 12oz bottles or One PartyPig Keg!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests