Wyeast vs White Labs

Post #1 made 12 years ago
Not really a contest, but .....

Which do you reccomend, and why? So far I've used dry yeast; mainly Fermentis, with good results. Sometimes, I've re-hydrated in luke warm water or wort, but most often have sprinkled straight onto the top of the wort.

I'm contemplating brewing a Belgian Ale next, and appreciate that Wyeast or White Labs have a greater variety and perceived better quantity than what I normally get. But how easy are they to use?

Without seeing it, this 'smack pack' business sounds a bit fiddly. And the White Labs are liquid so can be pitched directly (although most suppliers seem to reccomend doing a starter anyway).

All advice and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
G

Post #2 made 12 years ago
Gyro,
(Wyeast) this 'smack pack' business sounds a bit fiddly
The smack pack serves a purpose. You can see (as the pack expands) that you have a viable yeast. At times I thought the pack would explode! With a vile or pack of yeast you can't see what your getting? A pack that leaked in some moisture or froze? I am not downgrading any type they all work. I use Wyeast because my local HBSS (Home Brew Supply Shop) gave up on White Labs (they threw out too many) I use SF-04 and 05 for most of my dry uses. I also reuse my yeast cake most of the time to recoup some of my Yeast money.
Last edited by BobBrews on 28 Apr 2012, 22:12, edited 3 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 12 years ago
I use Wyeast as that's what my LHBS stocks. I've only ever used Whitelabs once, but I do think I prefer the smack pack process.

Basically there is a sterile bag of wort in the yeast pouch that you can break to resuscitate the yeast. Fantastic.

BUT I always split my Wyeasts 4-ways immediately without smacking anyway.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #4 made 12 years ago
I use whatever yeast fits the bill. I don't worry about the company just what our little friends the yeast can do for me.
I rehydrate the dry yeast in tepid water and I always do a starter for liquid yeast as as the time it has taken from the lab to the shop to my door can be very lengthy.
Also, (in a zombie voice), "Mr Malty says too". It helps prove the yeast and prevents me underpitching and stressing out my yeastie friends!

HC
Last edited by housecat on 29 Apr 2012, 18:20, edited 3 times in total.
Part of the NoAd brewers

My mum says I'm cool.

Post #5 made 12 years ago
My local homebrew shop stocks Wyeast and Fermentis. As I say, I've not had any issues at all with Fermentis so far, but the range is far more limited than Wyeast. I think it could be time to start smacking......

Post #6 made 12 years ago
Gyro wrote:My local homebrew shop stocks Wyeast and Fermentis. As I say, I've not had any issues at all with Fermentis so far, but the range is far more limited than Wyeast. I think it could be time to start smacking......
Gyro,
I think you can do just fine with dry US05 for most American ales and with S04 for most English ales but for the Belgian ales there really isn't a good dry yeast. I've had good success with WhiteLabs Belgian strains. I do a 2 liter starter.
Last edited by shibolet on 29 Apr 2012, 21:01, edited 3 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #7 made 12 years ago
I use http://www.yeastcalc.com to calculate my steps when I do a multi-step starter (necessary when using old wyeast splits)
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #8 made 12 years ago
It depends on yeast strain I'm planning to use but I prefer the smack packs since they give early feedback if they are viable or not. But some strains are only easy available from White labs, such as Dry English Ale (used it a lot lately), Super High Gravity (failed miserably for me) and Pacific Ale. I also use dry yeasts such as US-05, S-04 and Nottingham. I also have a pack of Mauribrew Ale 514 that I've not used yet. Anyone with experience of that yeast?

I'll make starters unless I'm opening a new pack of dry yeast, which I always rehydrate.

Post #9 made 9 years ago
My lhbs is selling fermentis dry yeasts in 500g lots for about $100.00 aus - according to it's website. Just about fell off my chair, trying not to look at it as I have other things to spend money on at the moment.

Not sure if it's a box of sachets or just a box of yeast (prone to water, so I doubt). But that makes the yeast cheap enough per brew to consider using fresh yeast every time instead of recycling. It would probably keep me as a safale only brewer...

If you were in a beer club, this would start to be compelling as you'd buy a quarter (or whatever).

Re: Wyeast vs White Labs

Post #10 made 7 years ago
I know what you mean about the limited supply of dry yeast strains, I asked one time about this and was told that a lot of the strains they offer for liquid packaged yeast would not hold up well to the drying process, I do not know if that is true or not.

I used white labs for years, and thought it was great stuff, I lived a few miles from a HBS and could pick it up fresh a few days before brewing any time I needed to and make a starter. I have tried the smack pack stuff and agree it gives feedback, but now days I always have a starter when brewing and can get feed back from that.

I have a friend around the block from me who does the harvesting, growing etc part of the hobby. He is a retired chemist, worked for the government for years. He prefers white labs yeast if he buys yeast. I can find out why, but he is an A Hole to get info from. I will ask him for the good of this thread why he insist on white labs however.
Temperance is for those who cannot hold their liquor :drink: :drink:
    • MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Yeasts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests