Low pre-boil gravity mini-BIAB

Post #1 made 12 years ago
Hey all,

So tonight I took the plunge and put my first every all grain BIAB on.
It's a mini BIAB on the stove in my appartment.

Grain Bill...
2100g Pale Ale
420g Munich 1
210g CaraAmber

Starting volume was 18L hoping to end up with a 10L wort.
After pulling the bag, I think there is probably about 14L left in the pot.

Kept the mash at around 65% for 90mins.
After cooling the initial sample to 20c, my gravity reading is 1.034 :think: .
Was aiming to get up around 1.040 as this is an APA.

I've got it boiling now, thinking of trying to get some more out of the spent grains.
Or should I just add some DME? Not sure what to do....urgent help would be much appreciated!!

Cheers!!!
Jake.

Post #2 made 12 years ago
Good Day My calculations show the 1.034 INTO the boil is right for 18.6L, A boil down to 11L ( one extra for expansion) comes out about 1.058 on paper with 77% effiency. Sorry I took a while to calculate out and answer.Good Luck, I hope the brew turns ouy fine!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 12 years ago
Congratulations jake and I hope you're having fun.

Just finish the brew and don't make any adjustments. Let's see what you end up with.

For now, concentrate on measuring your end of boil volume (hot or cold - whatever is easiest). Also get a gravity reading when the wort is cool.

Let us know the results and before your next brew, we'll see if we can help you with a plan. The only way to fine tune things is to gather as many measurements on your first brews as you can. Measure, measure, measure :P.

I think all will be fine so don't worry ;).

Congrats again,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 12 years ago
Thanks heaps, Joshua and Pistol.
Just cubed it and finished cleaning up....mental note, next BIAB during daytime :lol: .
I think I ended up with around 13L post boil, not sure about the gravity yet.
Melted my hydrometer tube trying to take a reading :idiot: !!

The whirlpool and syphen into the cube worked really well.
Have put aside a sample to cool overnight and will test it tomorrow when I get a new hydrometer tube.
Wish I had a really narrow vase or something lying around!!

All in all, had a really good time...and jeez this place smells like a brewery!
Will put up some more details and measurements later to try to get some help for next time.

Cheers!!
Jake.

Post #5 made 12 years ago
:)
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #6 made 12 years ago
Good on you jake :clap:,

Buy a good hydrometer jar. They are wider than the ones that come with a hydrometer and have a base so that it easily stands up.

Even though there are 'temperature correction' tables around, the higher the temp, the more inaccurate they are. If you need to measure the gravity of hot wort (eg at the start of your boil) put it into a mug, cover it with glad wrap and put it in the freezer for 15 or 20 minutes or in a bath of cool water.

Once measured, you can put it back in the boil.

If you buy the hydrometer jar above, you can take a sample from your fermentor after pitching and aeration. You can then leave that sample in the hydrometer jar beside the fermentor until fermentation is complete. It's interesting to watch and will give you a good idea of when fermentation is finished.

Go and get yourself a beer :drink:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #7 made 12 years ago
I put my end of boil sample into my yeast starter...
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda

5/7/12

Post #8 made 12 years ago
jakethesnake559 wrote:Melted my hydrometer tube trying to take a reading :idiot: !!
Just a thought...Did you take the pre-boil gravity mentioned in the OP at mashing temps? Taking gravity readings at temperatures higher than 60F will cause the reading to be lower than the actual value.
Last edited by BrickBrewHaus on 10 Dec 2011, 01:04, edited 4 times in total.

Post #9 made 12 years ago
So after a good night's sleep, headed to the LHBS to get a new hydrometer jar.
Turns out my SG is 1.048...not too far off the 1.052 I was aiming for :thumbs:

So started with 18L.
Heated to 69c.
Mash in dropped it to 65c.
Agitated it every 20mins or so and checked the temp.
Stayed pretty constant at 65c for the whole 90mins.
Pulled the bag by hand, squeezed it and let it drip for about 15min.

Start of boil 16L (1.034)
End of boil 14L (1.048)

Any feedback would be much appreciated so I can improve my next one.
Thanks again by brewing friends :salute: .
Jake.

Post #10 made 12 years ago
Good Day, You stated you were going for 10L, If you had boiled down to 12-13L, you may have had "End Of Boil" about 1.056 so you were right on your Recipe. Well done Sir, well done. Let us know how it finishes, It should be a Tasty brew!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #11 made 12 years ago
13L would've been 1.052

So you had 2L evaporation. How much were you anticipating?

5/7/12

Post #12 made 12 years ago
Hi Joshua & Stux,
According to "The Calculator", should have had the following...

Brew Length 10.00
Fermenter Trub* 0.80
Volume into Fermenter 10.80
Kettle Trub & Buffer* 1.80
End of Boil Efficiency* 79.00
End of Boil Gravity (OG) 1.052
End of Boil Volume 12.60
Boil Length 90
Diameter of Kettle 32.00
Evaporation Per Hour* 2.50
Evaporation for this Brew 3.75
Expected Start of Boil Gravity 1.040
Start of Boil Volume 16.35
Grain Bill Required 2702
Grain Absorption* 1.70
Water Required is... 18.05
Approximate Mash Volume 19.8

Because I am using an electric stove, the boil was pretty slow (had to have the lid half on).
I'm guessing if I had a proper burner, could have made it down to the 12.6L at end of boil.

Thanks for your valuable help :)

Post #14 made 12 years ago
Now that you know your actual boil off per hr just override that cell in the calculator. Then it will more accurately predict your results in future

5/7/12

Post #16 made 12 years ago
jakethesnake559 wrote:Because I am using an electric stove, the boil was pretty slow (had to have the lid half on).
Hi ther jake. Glad to hear you got through the day okay and hope you bought yourself a decent hydrometer jar ;).

When your heat source is not strong enough, the easiest way to get the boil moving is to float a stainless steel bowl on the top of the wort. This reduces the surface area and increases the boil vigour.

To increase boil vigour using a lid, you really have to put it almost fully on and this defeats a primary purpose of the boil which is to allow 'nasty' volatiles to escape.

So, before your next brew, find a bowl that covers say 2/3rds of your surface area. This will change your evaporation rate again but as a starting point, just use the figures from your last brew.

Cheers,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 13 Dec 2011, 06:46, edited 4 times in total.

Post #18 made 12 years ago
Nice to hear jake :peace:,

I learn something here pretty much every day and I've been brewing for a while. Nearly every question and answer I see on BIABrewer.info is well thought out or full of enthusiasm which is extraordinary on a brewing forum :thumbs:.

On the rare occasion that any advice is wrong, it seems to get corrected within a few posts in a nice manner. (I love this because there are so many mistakes that can be made when posting advice, some as simple as not reading the original post carefully enough :roll:. I have never done this :lol:)

And that's what I like about this forum - it gets the critical stuff asked and answered quickly and well which leaves more time to explore, slowly but certainly, some of the grey areas.

Wish I had more time on my hands to learn, contribute and brew. There's heaps of questions I find fascinating and don't know the answer to :scratch: :think:.

When I do find an answer to one of these 'grey' areas, it's either, inspired by a new all-grainer asking questions here or by an older all-grainer passing on their experiences.

Looking forward to hearing you report on how your first all-grain tastes :thumbs:.
PP

Return to “From Mash to Lauter (Water to Sweet Liquor)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 10 guests