Hurricane Irma

Post #1 made 6 years ago
To all the brewers in Florida USA ...Please be safe !!!!! This is a devastating storm ....Supposed to be a direct hit to us here in the Tampa Bay area .
Please have your house & belongings taken care of...This one is no joke !!!
I've got the house boarded up & sand bags where needed . Plenty of 5 gal water jugs & carboys filled. 2 cylinders of propane, 20 bags of ice ....
I have a ton of camping lanterns and batteries.
Of course plenty of homebrews in fridge till we lose electric...We WILL lose electric here..

PLEASE !!!!!!! ALL BE SAFE !!!!!
J
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Re: Hurricane Irma

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Listening to Face the Nation this morning, entire hour is on Irma. Our worst nightmare for sure.

Here in Panama City, I'm about 15 feet of elevation and just hoping for me the eye doesn't come just west of my house. I would see water in my backyard licking up my porch.

For sure Joe, you be safe.

Pray for us.

Richard
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 10 Sep 2017, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post #3 made 6 years ago
Yes, I've been watching that here from Ozland. That is very big!

On a light note, good to see you have the essentials Joe - you make us proud ;)

On a serious note, we're all thinking of you Richard and Joe.

:salute: Pat
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 6 years ago
Thanks Richard. We are at about 35 ft here, suprising as we are only 2 miles from the gulf.looks to be west of you so you get the good side. Stay safe.
Thanks PP, Know a lot of brewers here in the area and the ones that are staying are all ready. Nobody doing parties just paying attention. Yes this is BIG.
Winds are picking up now . Bad stuff here later about 7pm EDT or 11pm UTC. Then goes completely downhill till 12noon tomorrow.
Will check in later if possible.
J

Post #6 made 6 years ago
I'm good here and the whole part of the panhandle (north west Florida)..

Joe and his family are good, last check, via text, but he lost power like much of the state did. He was able to pull a line from his neighbors generator ( normally that's just for refrigerators, floor lights and floor fans 110 volt stuff). But with gas stations with no power, I can't imagine neighbors supply of gas lasting too long.

Joe indicated power would be restored after 10 days. This weekend is about 10 days up.

Loosing power is no fun in the heat and humidity in the south. For me, my house is all electric. I don't think Joe has natural gas (think water heaters and stoves), might be wrong here. The electric version of these run 220 volts.

I last heard from Joe on Monday this week. Time to check back in with him.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 17 Sep 2017, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 made 6 years ago
I got three paid days off because of the storm, Friday, Monday and Tuesday as I work at a college and our local school system was closed due to the decision of our emergency management officials and the governor of the state.

Post #8 made 6 years ago
Good stuff Richard :peace:

That's a long time without power. And then, the damage has to be repaired which you never hear much about as "news" always focuses on the drama of the day.

I hope all gets back to normal for you and your community as fast as possible.

All the best mate :salute:,
Pat
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #9 made 6 years ago
Sorry guys .....wrote out a long reply & lost my internet connection...JUST FIGURES !!! Anyway...came thru the storm with minimal damage.. Lost a lot of limbs , took 2 days worth of clean up. Got powered back up on Fri night only to have it shut off on Sat due to them having to rebuild lines.
Hated the forced holiday as I could not get parts due to the whole area without power.. Wife loved me home but hated no $$$ . Lost a lot of food BUT bought 15 bags of ice so I saved the venison in the freezer ! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
At least we are back up and rolling ! Full schedule for this week so I can try to recoup some losses.
Thanks for the concern :salute: :salute: :salute:
J

Post #10 made 6 years ago
Oh BTW....My Gulf Coast IPA turned out pretty good...Strong Grapefruit ...Bad news ...It didn't have the rest of flavors my notes talked of...Unfortunately lost the original notes on this brew.. Think I swapped Mosaic with Simcoe :think: :think: :think:\
j
Last edited by jhough on 19 Sep 2017, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 31 guests