Post #177 made 9 years ago
I managed to pick up 2 x silvers & 1 bronze out of 4 beers. So pretty happy with that, gold still alluded me by less than a point (again)

Pale ale - Silver
Black IPA - Silver
IPA - Bronze
Aussie lager - dud (I knew this one was a dud, but I had paid the $20 to enter it)

Post #178 made 9 years ago
Picked up a bronze for my oatmeal stout. Oddly, the same beer that got me a first in the state comp a few weeks back didn't score well at all!

Your black IPA was awesome Stu!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #181 made 9 years ago
BungBrew wrote:Well my Munich Dunkel ended up with a silver in the Nationals, pretty stoked with that! Too bad it was the last bottle :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work Bung! Shame we didn't get to catch up, hopefully next trip! :champ:
Last edited by nicko on 02 Dec 2014, 20:23, edited 5 times in total.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #182 made 8 years ago
Picked up a few medals in the National Capitol Homebrew Competition in Ottawa. Got a silver for my Pickled Monk, a Belgian Dark Strong ale brewed with maple sap and homemade maple syrup, as discussed in my thread over in the 'Brew Day Stories' section. Also got a bronze for my Cherry Saison, which is my usual saison recipe that is batch primed and bottle conditioned using pure organic tart cherry juice instead of dextrose.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #185 made 7 years ago
Entered my first home brew comp last weekend (BJCP Judged). Entry was a Munich Helles (http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... 842#p54842) and I’m proud to say I picked a Gold for its category and a Silver in Best of Show. It scored a 44/50…ecstatic about that result!

Really enjoyed the whole competition process and I’m definitely going to enter some more next year. Just waiting on my medals and prizes to arrive :champ:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #186 made 7 years ago
44/50 is a great score! Congrats! :champ:

I picked up a silver for my Pineapple Double IPA in the Vanbrewers competition in Vancouver BC. (Halfway across the country from me) it scored 41.5.

Post #187 made 7 years ago
Awesome, now I'm getting inspiring me to enter a few ... even though I don't really believe in the competitive aspect of brewing.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #188 made 7 years ago
I mostly just like to get unbiased feedback. In Canada we have a 'brewer of the year' circuit that tracks results from the biggest bjcp competitions in the country, so I enter ones on the circuit since they are usually pretty legit. They also get a lot of entries so competition is pretty stiff. Problem is, once you get a few medals it gets addictive :) Especially when its always silver or bronze. I keep telling myself if I ever get a gold I will quit. We shall see.

Post #190 made 7 years ago
Just going through the medals from this year's Royal Perth Beer Show. (All results can be found here.) In category order, here are the troops I know of from BIABrewer although there would be many BIAB'ers I don't know of...

Silver - Kolsch - youmustbemellow and Pistol Patch (single malt and hop - will post recipe later)
Silver - Kolsch - NME/admin
Bronze - Irish Red - setevem_01
Bronze - Brett IPA - sinkas

As a matter of interest, youmustbemellow and I brewed a Schwarz but used the recipe from Gordon Strong's book instead of the usual recipe. It's the first year we didn't get a bronze or silver medal for it :lol:.

A good fun day as always :drink:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 01 Aug 2016, 09:21, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #191 made 7 years ago
Well done guys :clap: :clap: :clap:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #192 made 7 years ago
Well, not sure who else to brag to so here it goes... ;)

Just won first place / top beer overall at the Independence Hop & Heritage Festival's Homebrew Competition. It was a German Pilsner in the Session Beer category. There were some comments, people surprised how a 5.2% ABV "session beer" beat out all the hop heavy American IPAs at a festival celebrating hops! :thumbs: ;) :thumbs: Can't help but to think that's funny. ;) Also, a lady judge interviewing me after the competition was surprised it was my first ever entry in a homebrew competition... Same lady seemed surprised that I brew by BIAB. (Wasn't sure if it was because she didn't know what it was or didn't think the BIAB process was any good...just "funny" facial expressions and body language after I said it. Glad it was mentioned after the competition had ended. ;) ).

Yahoo!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott on 18 Sep 2016, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #193 made 7 years ago
Big Congrats Scott.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #194 made 7 years ago
Haha. That is excellent Scott! You should be super proud of that :thumbs: :clap: :salute: :champ:.

Good body, amazing that it stays in the glass even when the glass is horizontal :shock:.

:) Top stuff!
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #195 made 7 years ago
Great job Scott! Still hunting for a gold myself... sounds like you definitely have a right to brag tho, top beer overall that's awesome!

Post #196 made 7 years ago
That right there is something to be proud about, well done! :clap: :champ:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Re: BIAB competition success

Post #198 made 7 years ago
Took 1st Place at the Oregon Homebrew Festival for German Dunkles Bock. (Under Amber, Malty, European Lager category...). Oldest competition in the state (35 years now).

It was my second competition. Had a couple brews that didn't place this time. Going to try again at the state fair, I think.

Bottling beer for competition is kind of a pain when you are used to kegging it. And when you have to submit bottles 3 weeks prior to judging...and getting the beer from a carbonated keg, it is a guess to add small amount of sugar to make sure / hope not to lose too much carbonation.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 35 guests